Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Hi from Western Australia

Hi All,

New trail member here.  I live in Perth, Western Australia.  Mid-season and just heading into the height of summer here.  We've just had our first IM and 70.3 for the season in Busselton.  I did the 70.3 and it was an eventful day...

We had a shark sighting result in the cancellation of the swim (I got evacuated 300m into my swim), a bush fire on the full IM meant some competitors has a shortened bike course, 95F temperatures- oh and two competitors got taken out by kangaroos on the bike...  welcome to Australia!!

Other than that WA is a lovely place for triathlon- plenty of clean/nice beaches, great pool facilities, nice weather and good bike infrastructure for safe training (long bike paths with no stopping).

So a little about me:

I've got a 4-5 year background running marathons, but high mileage running  doesn't seem to agree with my bones so I've decided to switch to triathlon to help keep things sustainable.  I'm a competitive age grouper - aiming to do more 70.3, get faster (maybe on the podium) and have fun.  I do train quite hard - but also enjoy changing things up getting out on the mountain bike and trail running. 

Thanks,

Annika 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Annika!  You are definitely half way around the world...or maybe I am  Bummer about the IM swim canx but better that than being shark food.  I'm sure you will enjoy EN and that the club can help you achieve your goals.
  • Options
    @Annika Gillgren
    Peter Greagg here from Canberra.
    I have done the 70.3 at Busso a number of times and always loved it. Glad to miss the excitement this year.
    I am guessing that EN will redefine your idea of work!
    We have a saying — #workworks# and it does. 
    It will probably take you a bit of time to get used to the intensity that we use though.
    I am racing at IM Australia at Port Macquarie in May 2018.
    What other races do you have of your schedule?

Oh, and BTW, ask any questions you want — we are all keen to help.
  • Options
    Hi Peter-- good to see there are a couple of other Aussies on here.   How do you go with the imperial system on the site?  I had a quick look but can't see a way to put  pace zones etc. in metric?

Up next for me is Karri Valley in March (1500,60,12).  Lake swim so shoudl be safe there:).  Then another attempt at Busso 70.3 in May -- unfinished business there. Fingers crossed the fish behave this time and/or they come up with a plan B.  May 2017 was also affected by sharks....  I vote we get rid of the drones/choppers so we go back to being blissfully unaware.

I'm familiar with FTP and VO2 type sessions- just probably not as frequently as the programs here at EN.  Coming from running background I've probably been a little conservative with how much intensity I do any given week and have done more volume with the far before fast mindset.  Think I can make some good gains on the bike especially by focusing on lifting FTP - so will be interesting to see how things go with the fast before far method. 
  • Options
    Sadly you have to put up with the imperial system.
    I suppose you will use the EN Short Course Plan to prepare for Karri Valley?
  • Options

Hello Annika,

I am from the US but my daughter lives in Melbourne.  Visited and raced in Australia a few times.  My long range plan is to go back to Cairns in 2019 for the full.  You will enjoy this team.  You will work hard but you will learn a lot and race better and smarter.  Welcome to the team and any questions just ask away.

• Options
    Thanks. 
    Yes Peter - I'm on the bike focus initially (my weakest leg), then short course till Karri Valley then onto the 70.3 plan.

And awesome Robert- the Cairns course looks great.  I've driven the bike course- very scenic.
  • Options
    Welcome as always!  Reach out as needed, ask questions, have fun, dig deep, build relationships, find your triathlon family here for life...........