Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

W.D.L. November 2018: Hacking the IM Plan for Performance with Paul Curtin

Below you will find the video recording from my call / review with @Paul Curtin (M 55-59 AG). I really appreciate him taking the time to capture how he approached his year and the decisions he made.

Macro Changes: Body Composition, Running Form Swim Focus

Total Balance: Ability to rest when needed (down cycle for a few days) whether traveling or just tired. 

Bike Bash Down: He really challenged himself on long rides in-season, and it paid off with the fastest AG bike at 70.3® Worlds and again on raceday at IMLou. 

Run Resiliency: nothing really flashy here; you can see the value of the Run Durability Program (RDP) displayed across a full season!

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/h9e78u6h56?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=400

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Paul curtin

So much wisdom to be taken in here from both the training to the race day execution performance that supports the EN foundational values!

#ENMASTERNINJA
  • Options
    I think we can all take something away from this, really interesting video & a "must" watch for everyone.

Congrats @Paul Curtin
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin  Thanks so much for putting all this together and sharing with the team!  
  • Options
    True leadership & analytics here.. If @paul curtin is not a WSM, he should be!
  • Options
    Really great stuff.  Very encouraged by the run durability part of this! I know we cant all run 7 minute miles for miles on end, but like you proved @Paul Curtin we CAN run a GREAT marathon and have a great race.  Awesome, Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    @paul curtin this was an awesome video and congrats again for the payoff you got from all of your methodical hard work.

I was particularly inspired by the fact that you didn't necessarily just add "more training time" to get better results, but instead you had more efficient use of the time you had to train.

I will personally be implementing the "Crush" Hyper-VO2 Outseason bike workouts and the longer "Inside-Out" bike rides.

Can you go into some specific details of how you increased your running stride rate over time? And how long of a process this was? (i.e. weeks?  months?  many months?)  I have been in that ~175-180 range for years and have been running with a metronome and trying to focus on increasing it, but this has been months in the making and the second I turn the metronome off, I revert back to the lower plodding turnover rate...
  • Options
    That was a great breakdown of your training. Thanks for sharing all the insight! And ofcourse congratulations on your AG win. Very well deserved.
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin and @Patrick McCrann - Very very very well done!  Paul I can't say enough how happy I am for you. So deserved.
    I truly hope those with the KQ dream that are on the bubble , will not only watch this, but actually absorb what is required for that success, it didnt just happen , you outworked, out planned, and out executed ALL your competition.... 
  • Options
    Wow! so much to take away from that.

I know we discussed post race day about the bike, and I think I got in your video what I needed for my next season.

I will make some hacks to the bike training to insert the Crush VO2 and Inside-out

I went back to all my data after listenning to this and my graphs look like your PY.

Thank you so much for sharing this knowledge !
  • Options
    Amazing! I think my daily TSS just went up from all the notes I tried to take during this presentation!

Totally inspiring and another reason why this team and it's members rock!

Thanks @paul curtin for taking the time to share this very useful information with us! So very happy for you!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share with the team. This is very insightful, educational and motivational. @Coach Patrick - well done! 
  • Options
    Congratulations @paul curtin - this is fabulous! It is really generous of you to spend the time laying it all out for us. 

I'm 100% in line with your approach to building the bike. The approach of driving VO2 with super high intensity intervals followed by adequate recovery intervals worked really well for me this year too. 

The Run Durability benefits are way beyond expectations - that is HUGE!

I'm super excited for you and looking forward to following your progress next year. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone ... it's great to read all these positive responses! 

@John Withrow -- I'll do a write-up on the run stride changes and post it; it was not an easy change to learn how to run like that, but I'll share what worked for me
  • Options
    Thank you @Paul Curtain for sharing.  It was fantastic to see your progression from year to year and race to race.  Definitely inspiring and informative on how to turn yourself inside-out during the Outseason and benefits you received.
  • Options
    Finally just got the time to watch this to the end.  LOVE LOVE LOVE!  @Paul Curtin you are inspiring!  

I know you mentioned in another thread you'd post about your stride changes.  As a tall loping chicka I'd love to hear what you did!  I have made half a$$ed attempts in the past and would love to take another whack at it.  Coming off a run injury so super slow, but A race is IMKY, so lots of time to work!!!  
  • Options
    Thank you @Trish Marshall!!!  Started my notes on that cadence article but never finished it ... and so it shall be completed for you!  (Additionally, I have new data points from new high-cadence workouts over the past 3 weeks)
  • Options
    Thank you @Trish Marshall!!!  Started my notes on that cadence article but never finished it ... and so it shall be completed for you!  (Additionally, I have new data points from new high-cadence workouts over the past 3 weeks)
    You sir, are a peach!  Thank you for all you do for the haus (except for maybe getting Shapoopi stuck in our heads!!!)