Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Coach Chat [Dec 2017] - All Things Zwift

edited December 13, 2017 2:55AM in Announcements 🎙
In this live coach chat, I covered as much as I could about using the Zwift virtual platform for your cycling (and running if you are so inclined). It's about an hour long, with video from in "the game" as well as basic information on how to use it in the OutSeason® and beyond. 

Key Takeaways:
  • You will get stronger and faster riding in Zwift, because Zwift is social and you will be challenged to chase and ride with others (as if you were outside).
  • There is a bit of friction to get set up, but once you are "in" it's just like real world riding...without the danger, weather and always with your friends. :wink: Here's the official Zwift set up page or you can use the EN Zwift set up page as well.
  • You could follow your EN plan..or you could load your EN workouts into Zwift to ride...or you could just find a race and really challenge yourself (use the "events" function in the Zwift app to find one). The point of the winter is to ride and challenge yourself..and you get that (and then some) when you do a race. 

Bonus Items:
  • You can join our Zwift Chat (PSA) and Zwift Events (Zen) GroupMe text lines so you can connect with your fellow teammates who are all about Zwift. It's super fun. 
  • TeamEN kit is the "Basic 5" jersey. Your last name should include #TeamEN so we can find you as well. 
  • If you do end up racing...and you should race my friends...then register on www.zwiftpower.com so you can get ranked, follow your placings and chart your progress. #competitionworks
  • There's a Zwift coupon out there right now (early Dec) so you should share it so others win: https://zwift.com/gift (thanks @Sheila Leard For that!)
Here's the Coach Video
If you have any additional questions, you should post them to / read the Official Zwift Thread...it started off as the Sunday ABP "online" ride...but it has evolved to be the go to place for all things Zwift in the forums.  

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/itp41alryo?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Coach Patrick I'm watching your Awesome Zwift videocast and just heard you say "I haven't heard of anybody crashing their bike while riding in Zwift"...  Thought I'd share my almost comical story.

I "almost" wrecked my bike 2x during my first official Zwift race.  A little background, my setup has a 42" TV about 3-4 feet in front of my bike, just above my big fan.  I also do all of my indoor rides on my E-Motion Rollers, so my bike can move left/right a few feet and forward/back by several inches as I'm riding along, so being smooth on Rollers is important.  Anyways, it was only about my ~3rd Zwift ride so I was still getting used to all of the interfaces and graphics.   A random race that was only an A/B group and a C/D/F group and it was long ~34 miles fit right into my Saturday morning workout.  I'm barely a B, but of course joined the A/B race.  After being dropped by the leaders after only 5 mins, I found a small group that kept collecting stragglers.  About ~30 mins in and already at extreme Oxygen deprivation, the course (and pack of riders I was in) made a sharp right turn.  I was immersed in the game and staring at the screen and swerved to the right (on my rollers) and my elbow bumped into the stand that holds my keyboard...   I barely stayed upright, but survived.  ...phew.   about ~20 mins later did a similar thing on a similar turn.   1 hour and 14 mins I finished the last ~30 seconds north of 400 watts to finish a cool ~61st overall.  I got out touched at the line by one of the 4 guys in my group.  ~6 guys had a small gap on us and we had gapped the ~10-15 of our long lasting group.  

It was pretty awesome and I was completely fried.   Still have a bunch to learn, but in ~1.5 weeks I have worked my way up to Level 5 and just earned my Specialized Allez!

• Options
    I see all these other clubs and companies with "secret" codes to unlock their jerseys...I Bet Mariah + Grant could quickly get EN specific kit for us on Zwift? EG:
    https://i0.wp.com/zwiftblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/peaks-coaching-1.jpg?ssl=1
    https://zwiftblog.com/kits/
  • Options
    FYI, I was looking for something else and came across this:

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/208367256-How-do-I-get-my-jersey-kit-in-the-game-?section=201304583

Due to overwhelming demand, we’ve had to shut down the club jersey program for now to concentrate on improving the core Zwift experience. Yeah, we know that’s a bummer!

The good news is that we want to do this as much as you. We plan on restarting the program again at some point in the future once we iron out a few technical things that will enable this program to scale. We can’t give you an exact date at this time.

Stay tuned, and Ride On!

• Options
    Thanks @Randy Peene
    Up to the minute
     :'( 
  • Options
    Would like to get started on zwift but have a older CycleOps trainer will this work with the program? Do have power tap G3 hubs.
  • Options
    @dave legg that would work as long as you have an ant+ dongle coming from your computer to read the powertap.  I used a "dated" CycleOps dumb trainer for a while before I could convince my wife of just how important a kickr was so that I could feel those hills! (She still doesn't understand, just shakes her head and lets me do my thing).
  • Options
    Scott,
    Thank you for the info and great job on selling the upgrade, if I can only do that as well
  • Options
    @Scott Giljum& @Dave legg  I'll have to tell my wife all the cool kids are getting a kickr so I need one for Christmas.  Unfortunately I know what she will say "I already have bought your Christmas present.  That and I need a new computer so I'm thinking the kickr is over reaching to say the least. 
  • Options
    Dave Legg said:
    Would like to get started on zwift but have a older CycleOps trainer will this work with the program? Do have power tap G3 hubs
    IMO, a front racing/aero wheel and rear wheel cover for your TT bike takes budget priority over a smart trainer. The way Zwift works for the most part with group rides and races, a standard trainer, with a power meter on the bike and an HR strap on your chest, is just as good as a smart trainer in terms of improving your fitness. A KICKR is a luxury - fun to have, but not critical for racing success. Spend $on a good bike fit, aero helmet, and racing front wheel first. Then save pennies for toys.
  • Options
    Dave Legg said:
    Would like to get started on zwift but have a older CycleOps trainer will this work with the program? Do have power tap G3 hubs
    IMO, a front racing/aero wheel and rear wheel cover for your TT bike takes budget priority over a smart trainer. The way Zwift works for the most part with group rides and races, a standard trainer, with a power meter on the bike and an HR strap on your chest, is just as good as a smart trainer in terms of improving your fitness. A KICKR is a luxury - fun to have, but not critical for racing success. Spend $on a good bike fit, aero helmet, and racing front wheel first. Then save pennies for toys.
    What ^^ @Al Truscott said...

• Options
    Al,
    I like that idea, so do you have suggestions on the race wheel and where to get cover for the rear
  • Options
    Dave Legg said:
    Al,
    I like that idea, so do you have suggestions on the race wheel and where to get cover for the rear
    Rear wheel cover is easy...EN offers a discount at wheelbuilder.com. Their website walks you thru ordering the correct disc cover for the specific wheel you have, and the hub. Last I checked, price was Under $100. Highest aero/"free speed" ROI by far.

For the front, I'd suggest searching the gear forum, see if there are any relavant threads, and maybe starting one of your own. There are lots of cpmsiderations...type of races you expect to do, your budget, weight, power, etc. Main idea is a deep rim, like 40 to 80 millimeters, but there are lots of wrinkles to that concept.
  • Options
    Two questions.  With zwift and wahoo kickr, should erg be on when doing EN loaded workouts?  Also could a few  who have kickr please post screen shots of their zwift and wahoo settings.  Coach’s screen looked a little different than mine.  Thanks in advance.  
  • Options
    Two questions.  With zwift and wahoo kickr, should erg be on when doing EN loaded workouts?  Also could a few  who have kickr please post screen shots of their zwift and wahoo settings.  Coach’s screen looked a little different than mine.  Thanks in advance.  

When I first started on Zwift, I kept losing the connection. I did four things, don't know what worked, but since I instituted, no problems. (1) Use ANT+ (dongle/stick) and a computer, not an iPad or phone, (2) when pairing devices, choose the option with “FE-C” in it. May have to wait until it shows up, (3) Use a long USB extender cable, female @ both ends, to place the ANT+ dongle right by the flywheel, (4) Turn off all other programs except the Zwift app.

As to erg/resistence in workouts, dealer's choice. If you use ERG, you will be FORCED to work at the prescribed power level, or quit. Using resistance, you will have to shift gears going up and down hill, and you can go harder or easier than indicated, meaning it's on you to hit your targets. Personally, I use erg when doing EN workout in Zwift or Trainer Road...keeps me honest, and knowing that if I want to quit, the workout's over. Kinda like training in a group...
  • Options
    Two Zwift-related questions:

• Will any Ant+ stick work with P1 Powertap pedals? I did some google searches, checked Powertap's FAQ, and I'm not finding a definitive answer. I can get a Garmin Ant+ stick for $20 from Amazon (and a 10 foot extension for $5), but the Zwift Ant+stick with 10 food cord is $40. The Garmin ANT+ dongle says it is "Can be used with most Garmin products." Zwift ANT+ Dongle USB Stick Adapter for Garmin Forerunner 310XT 405 410 610 60 70 910XT GPS Sports Watch"
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9HHP32/ref=asc_df_B06W9HHP325306486/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B06W9HHP32&linkCode=df0&hvadid=234335919745&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11473193066279166628&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017518&hvtargid=pla-392127533519
    • Alternatively, does anyone have a recommended ANT+ Dongle that works well with P1 pedals and is a good price? Powertap only sells a Bluetooth dongle, but I seem to recall Coach P's podcast suggesting there is more interference in the bluetooth space.
    • Is anyone using 175 mm crank arm with P1 powertap pedals? The manual says to adjust the default setting of a 172.5 mm crank arm in the display device. But Zwift's FAQ's said you cannot adjust the crank arm length. I only played around on zwift for the first time Saturday, but it seemed like my power readings were a bit low. If it thinks my crank arm is 172.5, that would be one explanation.
    I'm thinking Tuesdays would be a good days to race. I'm hoping to build this into my routine :).

Thanks!

• Options
    @Larry Peters I use the Garmin ANT+ dongle with P1 pedals; works just fine with zwift.  I occasionally have a few drop outs, but never attributed it to a bad connection; maybe the extension is something to think about.  No idea about the crank lengths.
  • Options
    I bought a 10’ extension and this ANT+ stick and it works great with Zwift and my P1’s.  

Anself ANT+ USB Stick Adapter for Garmin Forerunner 310XT 405 410 610 910XT Compatible With CycleOps Virtual Trainer Sunnto Watch Zwift TrainerRoad PerfPRO Studio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3VQP6Z?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

• Options
    edited December 19, 2017 2:32AM
    Awesome, thanks a ton @Mark Hickman and @John Withrow ! I'm planning to get the extension cord.
  • Options
    Could someone send me an invite to the Zwift group-me @Coach Patrick @Brenda Ross ? Thanks!
  • Options
    HELP!!! Just connected to ZWIFT on Apple TV (fantastic), but I can not figure out how to connect my ANT+ devices via my iPhone or iPad for them to connect to the exact same ride???
    I certainly must be doing something(s) wrong as I get two different (simultaneous) rides despite logging in with the same user.
    Guess the answer is somewhere in here .... but can’t find it. 
    Apologies in advance as I will post the same question in a couple ZWIFT threads ... not sure which is the right one!!
    Tks for any help someone might be able to provide
    and happy new year to all!!!
  • Options
    @Juan VergaraI believe if you are using Apple TV all connections need to be via Bluetooth, not ant+. 
  • Options
    @Scott Giljum Tks for your quick reply. In fact Apple TV is Bluetooth only; but I was wondering .... if one can see on the iPhone what’s going on in the Apple TV app (via Zwift mobile link) maybe somehow it can bring the ANT+ connections to the party (importantly, I have the ability to read ANT+ on my iPhone/iPad with the wahoo adaptor).
  • Options
    The NPE CABLE works great to convert ANT+ to BLE.  However it's a HUGE battery suck.  I swear I'm replacing the little coin battery in it all the time.
  • Options
    Any tips on how to load the EN workouts?  I'm running P1 Powertap pedals and reading power on my garmin.  Haven't been successful connecting my macBook with Zwift to my bike - but I think i was missing the key link of Zwift on my android phone as the link (?).  I would like to try to do my test on Tuesday in Zwift (although maybe not the best idea for my first zwift ride?)  I downloaded the workouts to my computer - but not sure how to then get them to zwift.