Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Pat Brady's 2018 IM Race Plan

The following is my execution plan for 2018 IRONMAN Texas:

General Info
      a.  Basics: 59 years old; 6’5”; weight 250#
      b.  IM TX will be my second IM.  My previous IM was IM AZ in 2013. For reference my results at IM AZ were
                 - Swim: 01:29:34
                 - T1:     17:16
                 - Bike: 07:07:35
                 - T2:     09:01
                 - Run: 06:15:11
                 - Overall: 15:18:11

Preparations:
      a. Overall preps have been average (completed high priority sessions....missed some lower priority sessions when life/business travel interfered)
      b. Swim preps about the same as my last IM…..metrics similar to past training logs…..estimate my swim will be slightly slower due to non-wetsuit swim
      c. Have done significantly more bike riding than my previous IM.  Almost all of my riding has been inside due to the weather.  I have used a smart trainer and Zwift app for trainer rides.  Bike metrics significantly better than my previous IM preps
      d. Run:  Metrics are about the same as the past (a little improved).  Only wildcard is I have developed a pain in the ball of the left foot when I run past 13 miles.  Issue is due to previous injury (cancer in lower left leg/removal for about half the muscles in lower leg/radiation therapy).  Doctor and Coach Patrick have suggested a few things that I’m trying to minimize the pain.

Overall goals:
      a. Enjoy the opportunity to do an IRONMAN and the process of setting an audacious goal (i.e. completing an IRONMAN) and attempting to achieve it
      b. Make the weekend as pleasant as possible for my wife.  I’m participating as part of the IM XC program in an attempt to achieve this one.
      c. Finish the IRONMAN
      d. Time estimates:
                  - Perfect race: Weather a little cooler than normal with no nutrition/race issues
                           + Swim: 1:40
                           + T1:   10
                           + Bike: 6:25
                           + T2:   10
                           + Run: 5:45
                           + Overall: 14:10:00
                 - Probable race:
                            + Swim: 1:45
                            + T1: 10
                            + Bike: 6:45 (wind/heat effects)
                            + T2: 10
                            + Run: 6:15 (left foot pain causes me to walk more)
                            + Overall: 15:05:00
                 - Ugly race: just finish

Plans prior to race:
       a. My bike ships to IM TX on 17 April, so plan to use stationary bike at gym for bike workouts for the last week of training
       b. 25 Apr: Traveling to Texas.  
                - 2pm: Check in to hotel
                - 5:30pm: Registration/packet pick up
        c. 26 Apr:
                - 10am: Pick up bike from TriBike Transport
                - 12pm: Test ride of bike
                - 4:30pm: IRONMAN Welcome Banquet
        d. 27 Apr:
                - 8am: Practice swim (North Shore Park)
                - 1:30pm: Bike and gear bag check-in
                - Rest of day feet up/hydrate….early evening meal at 4pm…layout clothes and gear…...lights out 8pm

Race day:
        a. Pre-race:
                - Wake up at 3:30 am
                - Eat:  Wheat bread with peanut butter; coffee; muscle milk
                - Walk to transition area and arrive at 5:30 am….final preps/body marking/hydrate/port-o-potty
        b. Swim:
                - Nutrition:  Drink Gatorade and at 6:15 eat one Picky Bar
                - Line-up with 1:40 pace group
                - Get to a steady stroke rate for first 2/3 of race.  Pick up pace slightly during last 1/3 (i.e. in the canal)
        c. T1:
                - Exit water. Unzip swimskin
                - Brisk walk to T1 (keep heart rate low)
                - Apply chamois cream/sun screen
                - Put on socks/shoes and helmet
                - Walk bike to exit…..carefully start ride
        d. Bike:
                - Nutrition:  1 bottle of Gatorade every 30 minutes; 1 Picky Bar every hour; one SaltStick pill every hour
                - Ride based upon heart rate….build and them maintain high in Z2 range.  Pee at least twice on bike.  Stay aero for as much as the ride as possible
                - Special needs bag will have Picky bars for second half of the race, a “crustable” peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and chamois cream
         e. T2:
                - Slowly ride into T2….safely dismount…..Thank God the ride is over!
                - Take off bike shoes/socks…..dry feet with a towel…..put on socks and running shoes
                - Put EN “race saver” bag on my wrist
                - Put on hat and sun glasses
                - Eat a “crustable” and drink some Gatorade
          f. Run:
                - Nutrition:  Run between aid stations and walk through the aid stations.  Goal is to get ~4 oz of Gatorade at each aid station and eat a gel and a SaltStick pill every 4th aid station.  Will also get ice at each station for my race saver bag.  Later in the race I will use coke or broth if necessary.
               - Run based upon heart rate (TRP)…..pace should be ~13min/mile
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thoughtful and thorough. A couple of comments:
    • Given the length of your bike ride, maybe plan on pee'ing at least every 2 hours, instead of the more vague "twice"?
    • Great kudos even on the attempt at IM with the challenge you face on the run - size, muscle loss. Maybe consider a specific run/walk strategy right from the start to increase the chance you'll still be running past mile 16? Something like walk thru entire aid stations, and also 1' in the middle of each mile?
    • Knowing the Texas heat history, maybe consider what I found very helpful last summer in a long triathlon (18 mile run) on a 90F day - I put the race saver bag under my tri top right over my heart - there and the back of the neck are the two places with the most blood flow, and cooling the blood directly helps keep internal temp moderated.

• Options
    Al Truscott, I appreciate you taking the time to review and your suggestions.  I'm going to add the first and third ideas to my plan, and try out your second suggestion on my next long training running to see what that effect that has on the pain.

Thanks again!  All the best, Pat
  • Options
    Sounds like a good plan and well thought out.  Just remember that the transition area is about a 20 minute walk from the swim start.  After checking out you bike in T1, it's about a mile walk.  So allow for that time on race morning.
  • Options
    Tom Box Thanks!  By the way love the Dan Gable quote!