Home General Training Discussions
Options

Blending Ultras with IM

As some of you already know I decided to jump on the ultra running wagon. We also know we need to register a year ahead for IM, as such I am stuck in a dilema/stupidity to have 2 ultras and 2 IM planed for this summer/fall.

7/22 IMLP
9/5 Chute de la diable ultra - 50M http://en.lachutedudiable.ca/
10/6 Bromont Ultra - 100M http://bromontultra.com/#/hundredandsixtyk/
11/22 IMAZ

Background:
1) The longest run I did was to pace @Brian Hagan for his UMFL run legs to which I was able to go up to 52K.
2) Never ran on trails before 2 weeks ago
3) Run volume is actually at 38-42 MPW with about 1400-1800m elevation gain per week.
4) Yes I thought about the idea of deferring some IM but thats not in the cards anymore, I wanna get to legacy, do Kona and be done with IM after, so the idea of deferring for another year is not even in the cards.
5) I will have alot of mandatory vacation days in July/August I have to take if I dont want to loose the days
6) No idea what I am doing but things look good on paper

Plan for IMLP & 50M

1) Up to IMLP, plan is to stick with normal IM training as seen in the table below: last column is total mileage per week, the biggest weeks are after IMLP and "only" 18m additional miles.
2) I reversed engineer the 9/5 races by reading some stuff and its pure coincidence that I have a 26M run on the same week end as IMLP and the week after is a recovery one.
3) Plan will be NOT to race the IMLP run and see it as a training run.
4) Will run the 4M run as a brick of pre bike
5) Will swim only once a week - I consider myself "good" swimmer and dont feel the need to swim more except on race week
6) Monday will be off
7) Between IMLP and the race will keep bike & swim at the minimum
8) Dont know yet if the longs will be split run or standalone run, my guess is that I should aim for time on my feet. ie: if I plan to run at 8'/m - I should aim for a 5hrs trail run and not focus on the distance. I know doing a straight 28M run would be good for confident but didnt figured out if that would be the "best" way to do it.

See below how I figured my runs between IMLP and the 50M.

Bridge to 100M

1) I have no idea how long it will take my body to recover after the 50M, so will give myself a good 10 days of swimming and easy bike.
2) Will keep the same weekly "short" run as on the 50M plan.
3) Based on what I read 50M is done 4-6 weeks windows before the race, so the timing of the 50M is perfect.
4) Last long run will be 3 weeks before and will be a 12-15hrs trail run - no mileage goal, just time on my feet.
5) Will post the planned table here when done.

Bridge to IMAZ

1) just trust my overall training and cross fingers - s/b correct IMO.

Thanks for reading, totally open to comments, suggestions and critics!

Comments

• Options
    Wow this looks crazy, but looks well thought out.  I have no ultra experience.  Good luck, will be fun to watch the progression.  Not to make stupid analogy but the race schedule looks like a 10lb taco.  Yeah, intimidating, but who doesn't love tacos?
  • Options
    @Francis Picard - The best parts of this is that 1) you believe you are capable (and you are) 2) You are doing what YOU want to do and not others.

I really believe you are capable of qualifying for Kona someday, and do not need the Legacy slot.  You are young and can always change your mind, but I am not going to try to do that.

Your plan looks pretty good on paper.  I still have mine for UMFL on my desk here at work.  I did not follow mine exactly, but it guided me from week to week as yours will for you.

For IM, a lot of athlete's build to a peak CTL, taper and the race.  I think you will build to a high CTL and maintain over a long period with a few ups and downs.  This will be good, because you will feel very fit and confident.  This is also challenging, because you are going to be on the edge of injury.  Hopefully your time off work will prevent you from going into sleep deprivation.  So....  I guess I am saying, make sure you get sleep and do as much injury prevention as you can.

I am looking forward to following along.  I am afraid I may catch the same bug, but I love cycling a lot more you than you.

Get on it @Francis Picard!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard I love this ballsy schedule!  Here are my thoughts based on having done triathlons and ultras, but never as close together as you're planning.
    • Specificity is king for ultras.  Do as much of your running on trails as you can.  The effort of an 50-miler is really similar to that of an IM run, so it should transfer.  Bonus: it will make you stronger and more durable.  Drawback: you'll lose some speed.
    • Forget about pace during trail running and use RPE and/or HR.  It can be tough, especially for a fast road runner like you, to go from routinely running sub-8:00/miles on the road to doing 10:00-12:00/miles on trails.  Hell, I've had some 30:00/miles on super mountainous runs.  Pace is just an output on the trails, like speed on a bike.
    • Recovery from a 100-miler can be long.  I couldn't run for a month.  You should have plenty of run fitness to carry you into IMAZ off the 100-miler.  Cycling and swimming are great for promoting recovery.
    • Crew and pace someone on a 100-miler, especially at night.  The experience is invaluable and will save you from making a bunch of rookie mistakes.  You're still going to make some which is what makes it an adventure, but you'll make fewer.
    • The training for 100 is not that different than a 50.  The difference is in your mental game.  Running and hiking through the night without sleep will take you to a dark place.  Plan to do some night running, ideally do a run through the night.
    • The bike is a great way to safely build volume for ultras that most ultrarunners don't use.  You'll probably have to dial back the intensity.  Treat these as an extension of your running in place of easy runs.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2018 1:55AM
    see attached,
  • Options
    @Francis Picard , which IM are you planning to really race?  Both, neither?  That would have an impact on your training plan and your race strategy.  If you come off the bike really strong at IMLP are you going to be content to run a "training day" marathon?

Based on your plan, your run speed will take a hit going into IMAZ.  Maybe spend the time between focused on the bike and go into IMAZ with an emphasis on a fast bike and then let your extra run endurance carry you through the run.

I think you're crazy, which usually means you're on the right path.
  • Options
    Alright, quick update

I was supposed to start seriously training but got hit by a car and was out of the training wagon for about 2 weeks.

I got back to training this week and will end the week with about with 10M. I didnt wanna up volume too quickly, this week the runs were short but fast - 4:30/K.

The 50m plan I use has me to run a 18M. I think I will split run the long one as we are suppose to do during the IM plan, Also have 2X4m run + 2X9M run.

Blended with 2 long swims, 1 long, 1 ftp and 1 recovery bike that should give an interesting week. 10 weeks out of IMLP now.

@Jeff Horn when stupidity is not in the way, there is no fun =)

@Brian Hagan We all know that a plan is hard to stick with, alot of things can happen, I like your comment regarding CTL and I agree specially on the injury part considering that iMO, its easier to get injured on the trails than on the road specially with accumulated fatigue.

@Gabe Peterson Thanks for all the ideas/comments ! I will definitely go back to all your race plans and RR and learn alot of stuff from these!

I will do some all night with my friend who trains for Moab 240, the goal will be to do it with him on his last long run somewhere in mid September. He has alot of ultra experience, so will try to learn alot from him during that night.

@Clark Mitchell the plan was to race IMAZ (It may sound counter intuitive), but I am sure the course is better suited for my bike skills, I am WAYYY stronger on the the flats. IMAZ is also where my IM PR was made, so I wanna beat that PR and go sub 10. I agree with you that the run training done will probably help my run and should mostly focus on the swim & bike. I am also totally OK (for now) to run a training day marathon at IMLP... I write it here but knowing myself, I know thats not gonna happen, but I like to convince myself hah.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard glad you have recovered from your accident, good to see you training again.