Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Scott Imlay's IM Boulder Race Report

Main Goal: Finish!

My first attempt at full IRONMAN distance, 2016 IM CdA, ended in a DNF after I badly messed up my nutrition on the bike. I knew I was in bad shape when I stopped at the last aid station to try to cool down. I woke up some time later covered in ice bags with EMT’s hovering over me. In Boulder, this was an experience I wanted to avoid at all costs!

Execution Goals

1.      Follow the nutrition plan – especially on the bike!

2.      Maintain a steady (average) pace/power!

3.      Stay in my box!

Race  Conditions

IT WAS HOT! Because of the heat, and the altitude, I knew it was going to be a challenging day. Most of my training was at sea level in cool (less than 60 degrees) temperatures. The forecast temperature for race day was 94 degrees. Because of this (and team comments on my race plan), I increased my bike nutrition plan to two bottles per hour. I’m sensitive to Gatorade Endurance so, based on team advice, I carried a concentrated bottle of Nuun Hydration (my preferred nutrition) which I mixed with water obtained from the aid stations.

Swim

I seeded myself in the 1:30-1:40 group. Overall the swim was really nice. To be consistent with my overall goal (FINISH) I didn’t set any time goals. Instead, my goal was to come out feeling strong and ready for a strong bike. My swim time was 1:37 – a little faster than my CdA swim and a whole lot more relaxed.

T1

Full confession, I am not very good at transitions! I haven’t practiced them, and I don’t have a good routine. My T1 time was 14:33.

Bike

My FTP at sea level is 194 Watts. I was told that I should adjust that down 5% to 8% for the altitude and heat, so the adjust FTP was between 178W and 184W. I was shooting for 70% of FTP so my plan was to maintain between 125W and 129W.

On the first lap the nutrition strategy and power plan worked well. I managed to consume two bottles of Nuun hydration per hour (6 bottles total) and I held a normalized power of 126W. To combat the heat I used ice in my nutrition bottles (before mixing in water) and sprayed my body down with the excess water. Mixing the concentrated Nuun with water in my aero bottle worked well, in spite of not practicing it ahead of time. Overall I felt pretty good as I headed out on the second lap.

The second lap, unfortunately, didn’t go quite to plan. I ran out of Nuun about 2/3 of the way through and had to resort to Gatorade Endurance (GE). The aid stations started running out of ice and I was really starting to cook as the day heated up. I did manage to choke down a couple bottles of GE but only consumed 4 bottles of nutrition on the second lap – three less than I should have. The final couple of climbs were really difficult and my normalized power for the second lap dropped to 113W (12W short of the planned range). When I finally pulled into T2, after 7:11 on course, I was tired and dehydrated, but happy to have made it this far! =

T2

Slow again (15:09)! Part of this was me desperately trying to cool down and get a little hydrated before the start of the marathon, but I’m not sure my efforts really made any difference.

Run

I’ve been fighting a periodic runners-knee issue for the last 2 months, so I was planning to use a run-walk strategy to lower the stress on my legs. Specifically, I was planning to do a 9/1 run/walk based on repetitions of 3’ of running followed by 20” of walking. In addition, my plan was to keep my heart rate on the first few miles below that for the last hour of the bike – which turned out to be 140.

As I headed out I felt dry but otherwise pretty good. My HR was 110 bpm as I walked out of the changing tent. After the first 3’ it had spiked over 170 bpm. This is Zone 5 territory for me. After the next 3’ run it was 175 bpm and I knew I was in trouble! On the fly I decided to shift my strategy to “run until my HR is 140, then walk until it is 120”. This worked well for a the first few miles. Unfortunately, I was so nauseated that I couldn’t keep and fluids down and my dehydrations continued to get worse.

By mile 8 of the run my situation had gotten really bad. I was basically in survival mode. I couldn’t keep anything down, I was getting wobbly, and I was basically walking at a 20 min/mile pace. What finally saved me was the chicken broth. For some reason it settled my stomach and I started to feel a bit better.

For the second half of the marathon I gradually increased the percentage of time running until, by the last 8 miles, I was able to do the 9/1 run/walk strategy.

I finished after 6:36 on the run.

My total time for the IRONMAN was 15:54.

I lost 9 lbs (6% of my body weight). It took three days before I finally felt rehydrated.

Lessons Learned

1.      If I’m going to a race that may be hot I need to get acclimated to the heat! Sure I live in a cold climate but heat can be generated indoors. I could have put my bike/trainer in the master bath, cranked up the wall heater, and did 5 to 6 miserable hours at 95 degrees.

2.      I need to consider the expected race conditions when I develop my hydration/nutrition strategy – especially on the bike. It’s a little embarrassing to admit I made this mistake! Sure, 1 bottle per hour worked on my long rides in 55 degrees in Seattle, but it wasn’t nearly enough for the altitude and mid-80’s expected in Boulder. The fact it actually turned out to be in the mid-90’s just made it worse. Thankfully EN teammates commented on the 1 bottle per hour strategy in my race plan and I made a last-minute change to 2 bottles per hour. It still wasn’t enough, but 1 bottle per hour would have been a disaster!

3.      I need to practice my transitions. I spent nearly 30 minutes combined in T1 and T2. I should be able to get that down below 5 minutes each with a little practice. That would give me a 20 minute faster time with virtually no extra effort! 20 minutes would have moved me from 18th place to 16th place in my age group (60-64).

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Scott Imlay,

Great race report!  First, it was more in depth than some of my previous efforts (or, sometimes, absence thereof).

Second, it sounds like many of the same issues I had with IM Cozumel regarding the heat.  The lack of heat acclimation for a November race killed me, and I under hydrated based on that.  I choked down 1.5 bottles/hour on the bike, alternating between Gatorade and water (because, like you, I can't consistently stomach GE), and that wasn't sufficient, which led to me being unable to absorb anything on the run (and puking everything back up at ~37km).  I'm hopeful that, if nothing else, the heat acclimation will help me get used to needing to drink more.

Third, you finished!  Nothing else needs to be said.  You finished faster than I did (as a 44 year-old) in November of last year.  Yes, there are some opportunities there, but you are an Ironman, and that's more than the vast majority more than anyone else on Earth can say.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your race! Heat and altitude is a double whammy and the goal should become survival to just finish. Many lessons learned that you'll carry into your future races. I also switched from 1 to 2 bottles per hour on the bike and actually try to get 3 bottles in the first hour to make up for the calorie deficit from the swim. That puts me at just under 400 cals/hr. That made a world of difference for me.  How many calories were you consuming per hour? I don't recall Nunn Hydration having a lot of calories. Unless you were supplementing with something else, you might have been low on calories during the bike and under fueled when you started the run?

Way to survive in tough conditions!

• Options
    Thanks for the input @Derrek Sanks. A bottle of Nuun has 90 calories, so two bottles is 180 calories. 

I forgot to mention the Cliff Blocks. My plan was to consume a sleeve of Cliff Blocks (200 cal) per hour, but that probably wasn't realistic. On my race rehearsal rides I consumes 1/2 of a sleeve of Cliff Blocks (100 cal) per hour and that is about what I did for the first loop of the ride in Boulder. Unfortunately, I don't think I consumed any Cliff Blocks on the second loop of the bike. I'm not sure why, other than heat and weariness messing with my thinking. So I was definitely low on calories at the end of the bike.
  • Options
    Congratulations Ironman!  Way to get it done on a tough day!  
  • Options
    @Scott Imlay - you finished your first IM!! Congrats! Those conditions were killing the pros too! Some of them were running 10:00-11:00min/mile and if you're on Instagram you can see how many of them thought this was brutal and some of them were not sure if they were going to finish. Yes, maybe your nutrition needed more planning, but you figured out a way to manage it all. It was impossible to keep my HR down as well and all of us had to make different adjustments. The amount of DNFs was huge so you should be very proud of yourself for getting this done.  That's all it was about. I'm happy I got to share this course with you. MANY CONGRATS!!!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2018 2:53AM
    Thank you @Daria Matthews! Congratulations to you too! It was a brutal day and I'm very proud of what I (we) accomplished. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life! I read back through my race report and it sounds rather negative - that isn't at all how I feel! 
  • Options
    Congrats on a tough day @Scott Imlay!  Another thing that I've been tinkering with especially for long or hot rides / races is the "Hyper" hydration drinks that are out now (pre-load NBS etc) to pump up plasma volume prior to the long/hot efforts.  I think the theory behind is solid and several ENers swear by them.  
  • Options
    Thanks @Jeff Horn, I hadn't heard of "Hyper" hydration drinks. I'll check that out! 
  • Options
    Great job and congrats IRONMAN!  I was with Coach P and Mariah volunteering for a bit Sunday and holy cow!!! SOOOO HOTTTT!  Well done managing to get to the finish line being a cool weather guy!  You seemed to solve your problems as they came up and managed to find the energy to run when it cooled.  Well done!!!  Enjoy your accomplishments!!!

• Options
    @Scott Imlay being out there in those conditions for 15+ hours is a true Ironman....make no mistake about it.  Easy to throw in the towel at 12, 13, 14 hours.....but an Ironman does what is takes to make it to the finish line.  Wow!  Congratulations!

Now you are a whole lot smarter and can expect to see big improvements for future races.

Welcome to the club!

SS
  • Options
    @Scott Imlay Ditto on many comments above. Every finish gets you smarter for the next start. Sounds like a brutal day in Boulder and you pushed hard to get it done. Congrats! Great race report. Thank you.
  • Options
    Wow, that exemplifies the saying, "No guts, no glory". It was totally sheer will power and determination that got you through the day. Next Ironman should be a walk (?run) in the park.

Heat acclimation: the number one thing which helps in the heat is fitness - the fitter you are, the better your body will handle the heat. Its kinda like riding into the wind or up an endless hill - the gorilla always wins, you just have to work within the limits he sets. If that means a lotta walking, that's what you gotta do, and no amount of sauna or running in the heat in advance will make it feel any easier.

Transitions: more than practice, you need a plan that you commit to. There are articles in the wiki which help with that. No question, if you eliminate all the unnecessary actions and time spent staring into space, you can drop your T1/2 times by more than half. Its basically a question of commitment, more than practice.
  • Options
    @Scott Imlay

There is so much to learn from any IM let alone your first. I believe that is the bug, the lure whatever you want to call it. Going back and figuring it out. Transitions can be practiced. You have to get tunnel vision and block everything out. I like to be near the exit of the tent because it's less sensory input. 

You did great. When I saw you on the run course you were moving forward. KMF