Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Leslie Sedlak 70.3 Madison Race Report - Just keep going until you can't

@Coach Patrick

Warning – very bodily fluid graphic

Man, what can I say.  I think that was actually harder than pushing two humans out of my body.  For one reason only.  I had a choice.  Lots of choices really.  Do I get in the Uber to race start?  Do I just do the swim and practice in choppy water?  Do I continue on the bike even though these roads are awful and my head is pounding (not to mention my whoohaa pain).  Do I quit because I stopped to pee on the bike and realized I started my period? Do I quit because I’m not sure when the diarrhea is going to return and I’m not sure I can hold it?

This will be a short and sweet race report.  I did it.  There will not  be details of how each step of the way was executed according to my ‘plan’.  My plan went out the window when I woke up, and for the 11th day in the row I had diarrhea. Like water out of my butt, not soft poo.  My cramps were so bad I almost didn’t get in the uber to go to the race start. 

It was raining - So hard they delayed the swim start 30 min because they wouldn’t be able to see the swimmers. I almost didn’t start the swim because of the weather and I saw so many people taking their bikes and going home.  But the water was warmer than the air – I was in my wetsuit – I might as well get in a swim.  If it’s not safe on the bike I’ll stop.  

I almost didn’t start the bike because I rented wheels and was worried about my brakes on the steep downhills and sharp turns on the coarse.  This wasn’t my A race – I didn’t want to get hurt.   But it wasn’t raining at the start of the bike, so I kept biking until I felt I wasn’t safe and was worried about crashing because of the conditions.  

I almost quit during the bike because the roads were AWFUL, but then I wasn’t sure how to get picked up by the SAG wagon, so I just kept going.   Then my period started – who cares at this point.  

Then I made it to T2 and started running and my low back started seizing, and I figured it was going to either get better or worse, so I’ll run and find out.  Then I just kept running.  I saw my family twice on the run.  I got to high five and kiss my two kids.  And I EARNED that medal.

I didn’t have any of the times I wanted.  I should have tried harder to be faster in the transitions.  I should have pushed harder on the swim (but it was so nice and warm it felt like the best bath I’ve ever had).  But, I didn’t quit.  And that , for me on Sunday, was the hardest thing I had to do.  Not quit.  I kept on trying to figure out how to tell my kids that I didn’t start/finish the race.  “I didn’t want to”  seemed like something I would lecture them for saying to me.  The only acceptable answer would be “I needed medical attention” and I couldn’t say that….yet….so I just kept going.  Until I crossed that finish line.   I am more proud of this race than any other.  I wasn’t sure.  Until I did.  I mentally CRUSHED that freaking race.  

“Just keep going, until you can’t”

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Damn woman!  Way to OVERCOME!  So many opportunities to stop, quit, say Eff this!  So proud of you for never giving in to the little bastard who whispers in your ear to just give in.  Mad Props woman!!!!  Congrats!  
  • Options
    Very motivating read! The title of your report should be something like, How to Not Quit When Having a Very Bad Race. You mentally handled many obstacles that most would have just said, I'm done. You're setting a great example for your children. Congratulations on your race!

• Options
    Congratulations Leslie!  Way to push thru a very tough race.   
    I was on the verge of just packing up and leaving that morning given the rain.  I've never tried to put on a soaking wetsuit - took me about 20 min to finally get it on.  And I had contemplated leaving it on for the bike, too :) 
  • Options
    Congrats Leslie. Mentally taxing day for sure without all of the extra "stuff". You forgot to mention the mud wrestling/ cyclocross transition. May your next race be all sunshine & tailwinds :wink: .
  • Options
    Hi Leslie
    I am doing my first HIM on Saturday and your report has instilled in me that I can finish and I will finish! You are a true warrior :) 
  • Options
    Finishing something like this makes most life challenges easier to face, I hope.

Two words for future use: "Pepto Bismal" The tablets work great for me when troubles crop up in the colon.
  • Options
    You crushed this race mentally. Nice work Leslie. Mother universe was trying to kick down, but your mental prowess won over.
  • Options
    @Leslie Sedlak

By now I hope you are recovered and figured what was messing with your gut! That sounded awful. Congrats for preserving. 
  • Options
    Wow!  I need some Motrin and a nap after reading your report.  :open_mouth:

Congratulations on persevering and finishing.  I've had 'that' talk with myself in the past about what message my actions would send to my kids, and what example I'd be setting.  It's amazing what a powerful motivator that thought is.
  • Options
    Awesome work Leslie.  Well deserved finish after the brawl with your limits.