Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Race Report: Mohican Trail Marathon

Friday- just got all my stuff together, and watched the why/ running 100 miles (billy yang film about his leadville 100 ultramarathon) and definitely got me excited to run the race. I hydrated with some pediatlyte throughout that day and finished it by the time I got to the park.

Saturday- got up about 9 and got all my stuff together (left about 10 since the race was at 12 and it was about an hour away) got there a little later than what I should have, and barely got my packet in time since I went to the wrong to the wrong place first. but made it to the start line on time and got my warm up in by running to packet pickup and back. 

start to about mile 14- For the first hour, I went out a little fast (actually thought that my heartrate monitor was busted until I slowed down), but overall felt good and was talking to other competitors. Also had run mile 3-11 a couple weeks before the race, so was able to crush some of the down hills and make up some time. after mile 11, started running with one of the 100 mile competitors who told me what the rest of the course was like and then lost him after an aid station right before that large hill. 

mile 14 to mile 19- starting with that large hill right in the middle of that map, that hill was pretty crushing and this was the rough part of the race.

19 to finish- as I was getting more toward the finish, started to run more again and got into a rhythm and finished it  on a good note.

final time- 7:04 (16: min/mi with 3260 elevation gain)
overall/need to be figured out for a 50/100 miler-
-crushed the downhills(most)
-had chaffing issues
-climbing sucked- will definitely need to do more climbing/ hill repeats

any recommendations from the trail runners on the team?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jordan,
    Although I'm not a fast runner, I've done a lot of trail running & races. 
    Some things to consider for your next race:
    • Even pacing doesn't apply on a trail. Break up the race into sections according to elevation gain/loss & have a plan for each of those sections. I've not done a 100 miles, but in a 50 the first 30 should be easy pace.
    • Aid stations are usually farther apart, plan to carry more of what you need.
    • Unless your a top runner the rule of thumb in trail ultras is to power walk up any hill you can't see over the top of.
    • Consider a run/walk strategy, right from the start. I generally use a run 10 minutes/walk 2. Find what works best for you and stick with it all day.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark
  • Options
    @Mark Mark Stahlkopf" - great advice. I am doing my first 50km this year. I am going to remember this.
  • Options
    Jordan welcome to Ultra Trail Running.  Overall it sounds like you had a great race.  HR graph does go from upper left to lower right but not too bad, showing you held good effort. Lube is your friend.  One of the biggest keys to success is specificity, train on terrain very similar to race venue or the course itself.  Come play wit us on the Anything Ultra Thread !
  • Options
    @Jordan Hempfling congrats on a solids race -- and welcome to the amazing and insane world of trail running!  That looks like a tricky course from the elevation profile.  Agree with ^^^, pace is just an output in trail running, just like speed in cycling.  My first couple ultras I would just have HR displayed on my watch so I wouldn't worry about the pace.  Once my HR hit 150 on a hill, I would switch to power hiking.  If I let it go higher, then I'd burn too many matches and suffer later.