Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Dave Legg 70.3 CDA Race Report

It was a day filled with a lot of different emotions which is probably the case for most people racing but I got to experience a few extra. First I meet some other EN folks racing John Katsoudas and Larry Peters which was awesome and looking for them on the run sure picked up the spirits, not many folks on the team out here in Montana. Larry thanks for your help with the awards presentation and the visit. Eugene sorry I missed meeting you and had a nice visit and a huge pump up from a EN man at the swim who was supporting his friend. My youngest son raced with me or should I say he was in the race, only his second tri and with less training than I have put in he crushed it in my mind going 5:40 riding a  road bike. Guess youth has something to do with it as he is only 28 but the kid has some talent as well and a great mental strength. Was not sure how I would do as my wife and I went on a three week road trip which ended with 3,800 miles of driving over 3 weeks for our 30th wedding anniversary. Did get some of the late training done but in my mind not what I wanted to do for the up coming race so wasn't sure what might happen.

Swim: 38:33 Had a tough start for whatever reason right at the beginning with getting into a rhythm with the slight chop, breathing and trying not to swallow the whole lake. Don't believe it was a panic deal because had no contact or anything like that during the swim but it was bad enough I had to stop and breast stroke until I got myself back under control breathing wise. After that felt I swam well and made up time I had lost. Even with the problem it was a PR swim for that distance which happy with at the end of the day.

T1 Man I had a great bike spot in the whole transition area and I had a good plan but got my plan backwards which was kinda funny when I looked back on it. My bike was second rack in from swim entrance and second rack with bike on the end. Restroom right as you come into the area so it was going to

be a quick stop there, go to bike and be gone but oh no I come look at restroom, keep going to my bike, drop my wetsuit and then go back REALLY

Bike: 2:57:56 which was 4th in my AG so very happy there. Thanks to Mike Roberts and EN discount on wheel cover  I rode my first race using power and for the most part I rode true to my numbers which resulted in a PR on a good challenging course.

T2 Long run from the get off line to my bike rack which was at the back but right out to the run start which was a good trade off. Ran in my bike shoes which is always tough so maybe I will have to change that idea

Run: 2:17 Cramps got me again which I have to figure out. Never a problem in training but last two races has been an issue. Not the run I was looking for but the good news was when I wasn't wasting time trying to get rid of the cramp or slowed to walk one out before it came I was running pretty solid. So back to work there.

Overall I finished 5th in my AG and received my first award which was pretty cool although I just got to the awards to late for my age group because I wasn't sure how far they went down. Felt good to know I had qualified for the Worlds if I could have gone but not going to work. Learned that I still have to work on the hydration and a better execution in order to move up. Thank you EN as I have had some very good results in the last year and would not be doing this without all the help. Still learning so any input helps. Thankks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hey Dave - it was great meeting you and your son!  Congratulations on getting 5th in your AG despite the cramping on the run.  That's some serious mental toughness.  
  • Options
    Congratulations on a top five podium finish! 

Cramping is a very non-specific thing. People will give you all sorts of advice: bike easier, bike more smoothly, better hydration, more electrolytes, try pickle juice, some other magic pill...but there is no silver bullet or one-size-fits-all cause. Good luck as you work on that.