Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2018 70.3 Muncie Race Day Thread

Hi Team, are you ready to give your teammates some serious mojo for this coming weekend? This thread is to be used leading up to the race and on race day for the team to comment on race conditions, observations on how our team is doing during their races, or just to provide some mojo on race day.  Listed below are the members that are racing and a link to the IM Tracker.  We are no longer having an EN Tracker as part of the race day experience, however, we do encourage you to download the following app to your phone should you want to track all the athletes listed below.

Or go to the IM Live page and find the race and track via the web, that can be done here: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/live.aspx

Athletes racing
Brian Quarton
Justeen Paul
Dave Barr
Joe Ryan
Robert Patrick

Comments

• Options
    Team, several of us have raced here before. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll try to help with some answers. 
  • Options
    Brian, IM keeps describing the Muncie run as hilly and challenging, but the elevation map they provide has less than 200’ gain over the whole run...what’s reality?  
  • Options
    Also, Incase you missed it, Brenda posted a link for Muncie for a GroupMe.  
  • Options
    @Joe Ryan :  I raced Muncie 2016; it's a great race!  Total elevation gain from my GPS file was 390 feet.  It's not what I'd consider hilly ... the only hill I remember goes from mile 10.8 to 11.3 ... elevation climbs from 1091 to 1146

• Options
    Extremely helpful Paul. Thanks.  Can you help me further by ensuring my split be at 1:31:45 at 11.3 miles!!  :-)
    We are going to melt out there.  Current low is 74 and high is not 95!   ugh.
  • Options
    Joe, I agree with Paul. It's rolling, but there are no hills that force you to walk. As you noticed, how we handle the heat is going to be the real difference maker. Thanks for the heads up on GroupMe.  
  • Options
    Congrats Muncie folks!  Great racing yesterday!
  • Options
    @JoeRyan Well Joe, what did you think of the run course and event in general? I needed to find a minute or two somewhere out there. That swim of mine is aggravating. On the positive side, I feel the best I've ever felt after a half ironman. Congrats to all the finishers.
  • Options
    Well...I had a fair swim (37min), and very efficient Bike (20mph - but only a .58 IF)....but, for the first time (since high school swim camps) I got intense leg muscle cramping (started on mile 50 of bike) and I really never got to "run" more than 2 miles at a time.  Had a lot of energy on my run, HR and pace were great when I could run.  Mostly a run/walk/stretch. Got so bad, had to walk the last 3 miles.  :-(    I trained in the heat all summer, never got cramps on 60 mile ride/run bricks.  Did a 1/3 full 6 weeks ago...hot...no cramps...So, it was a total stunner and disappointment.   It was certainly hot... I guess it got the best of my sodium/potassium levels.  Also on a bunch of meds due to a heart attack a year ago - so, I also need to work out something with my Cardiac doc.  I think they were contributors in extreme heat (BP dropped massively).  But, hey - I finished - I'm still alive and I really enjoyed (most) of the experience.  Great job on your race.  I've tried to access results of the race, but the site appears to be down this morning.  Were you the dude way ahead of me on the run that I screamed out a "Go EN" when you went by?? :0)
    Our teammate Bobby Patrick had a really nice race, too.