Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Derrek’s Race Plan - Ironman Lake Placid #2

Thanks in advance for reading and appreciate any feedback.

This is my fifth IM and second IMLP. I’m 53 years, 6’1”, 165 lbs; FTP 258; VDOT 51. A quick recap of my build up to this race: January OS, Mallorca Cycling Camp, local Olympic Tri (1st AG); 70.3 Raleigh, EN IM Adv Plan and EN Lake Placid Camp.

Previous IMs

2014 – IMMT              12:52
2015 – IMLP               11:58
2016 – IM Chatt         11:52
2017 – IM Lou            10:37

Focus Goals:

1.      Easy/relaxed swim start, then truly swim as fast as I can maintain form.
2.      Ride goal race watts vice being conservative thinking I’m saving my legs for the run. Find free speed on the bike by taking advantage of the terrain and staying aero as much as possible, sitting up on hills after speed drops below 14 mph.
3.      On first 6 miles for the run, keep HR within 5 bpm of HR in last hour of bike. I get impatient on the run and just start running faster after the first 3 miles, so need to be patient.

RACE WEEK

Monday – Wednesday: S/B/R workouts per training plan. Packing/massage/chiro

Thursday
-     6:30 - Depart for Lake Placid
-     3:30 – Arrive Lake Placid
-     4:00 – Maybe a shakeout 3 mile run or 60 minute ride
-     6:00 – EN Team Dinner

Friday
-          7:00 – EN Practice Swim
-          9:00 – Breakfast
-          10:00 – EN 4 Keys Talk
-          12:00 – Athlete check-in
-          TBD – Lunch
-          30 min Bike/30 min Run
-          Final Bike Check (check bolts, brakes, oil chain, etc.)
-          TBD – Dinner
-          Organize T1/T2 Bags; In bed by 10:00

Saturday (Hydrate with Skratch)
-          Sleep in until 8:00
-          9:00 – Breakfast
-          11:00 - Athlete briefing
-          Bike check in / drop off T1 and T2 Bags (10:00 - 3:00); Recon Transition area, swim exit to T1 Bag to changing tent to bike
            location to bike out/in, T2 Bag, tent to run out
-          4:00pm - Light Dinner
-          Lay out race clothes/morning clothes; Charge Garmin 910 and 520; Review race plan
-          9:00pm - Early to bed

Sunday – RACE DAY!
-          3:30 - Wake up
-          3:40 -  Eat: oatmeal, banana, bagel/PB/honey, Skratch Hydration
                o  
Get Dressed: EN Speed Suit; Chamois Cream; HRM (Snug); Timing Chip, pinned; Garmin 910xt, warm long sleeve shirt
                     and pants; shoes (morning temps, mid 50s)
-          4:30-5:00 - Leave for Transition (Opens at 4:30)
                o   Set up bike – BTA and 1 bottle of GE, S!Caps dispenser on bike, rolled up arm warmers on aero bars (if needed), tape gels
                     to bike (3- 2nd Surge gels), check gearing, check tire pressure/94 psi, check brakes for rubbing
                o  
Turn on/sync/turn off Garmin 520
                o   Body marking
                o   Drop off Bike special needs bag
-          6:00 – EN Group Picture; Don wetsuit; dry clothes bag
-          6:10 – Walk to swim start and take 1 Gel/Blok with water
-          6:15 - Arrive at swim start and do warm up exercises and warm up swim

Swim: 1:10 – 1:15.  (DeSoto T1 Full Wetsuit)
-         
6:40 AG start time; line up with the 1:10 group, far left
-          Start slow and easy, long strokes, catch up drill, head down, relaxed and find breathing rhythm
-          Know that it takes 600-700 yds to warm-up and get comfortable; then increase cadence, extension, strong pull, count strokes,
           no gliding, focus on tautness/alignment

T1: Walk 10 steps to get oriented, get to wetsuit strippers, then run to TA and grab bike bag and put on helmet.  No sitting down. Shoes in-hand; find volunteer to put wetsuit in bag then put on shoes (no socks) and run to bike.

Bike: 5:45-6:00. (Specialized Shiv, eTap, 11/28 cassette, 52/36 chain ring)
-          Ride first 40 minutes (or through Keene decent) as JRA and get HR below 130 bpm, don’t worry about watts
-          After Keene, target 180-193 watts (.70 - .75). Power will vary a lot due to constantly changing grades; focus on lap NP (every 4
           miles). On long, 4-6% hills, stay seated and allow power to go high zone 3. Only stand to stretch legs/back but don’t spike HR.
-          If HR is under 140, stay on top of power targets; if HR is over 145 back off
-          Watch for terrain to take advantage of free/easy speed
-          Garmin 520: Auto lap every 4 miles, display 3 sec Power, Lap NP, HR, cadence and speed
-          Nutrition:
               o   Drink 2.5 to 3 bottles of GE in the first hour
               o   Then, drink 2 bottles of GE per hour, drinking every 15 mins
               o   Take 1 S!Cap every 60’ (if warm temps)
               o   Take 2nd Surge Gel every 2 hrs
               o  
TOTAL PER HOUR: 400 calories; 1,250 mg sodium

T2: Take feet out of shoes in last ½ mile; hand off bike (shoes stay on bike); Helmet off while running to TA; find chair near exit, socks on, shoes on; Grab Go Bag containing trucker hat, race belt with 8 Gels, run saver bag; Eat ½ banana as leaving changing tent

Run: 3:30, if the weather isn’t too warm/humid. (Hoka Napali)
-          Miles 1-6: Keep HR in mid-130s or within 5 bpm of average bike HR in the last hour. Will use HR as a guide since the first 6 miles
           are net downhill.
               o   Be patient and watch HR!
               o   Take water and GUs/Bloks at first 3 - 4 Aid Stations (fuel up while HR is low and feeling good)
-          Miles 7-18: Ease into TRP
               o   keep cadence up, run tall, on toes, focus on form, stay relaxed
               o   Run by feel but monitor HR (mid-150s is cap until mile 18)
               o   Run the hard sections easy and the easy sections hard
               o   On hills focus on quick turnover and short strides; use arms. Walk at top if HR is too high (160+)
-          Miles 19 – 26.2: Hang in there! Run faster if you can.
               o   Maintain TRP or faster ; expect each mile to get harder
               o   Welcome and embrace the suck, just keep smiling
               o   Time to fish (reel in other runners) and smile to yourself as you pass them
               o   Ignore HR
-          Walk aid stations as needed for 20 – 30 steps
-          Nutrition:
               o   At each aid station drink either water or GE
               o  
Try to take 1 caffeinated GU or 3 Bloks cubes at first 3 aid stations, then every 5 miles/40’-45’
               o   1-2 S!Cap per hour starting at 30 minutes
               o   If energy seems low drink Coke after mile 18

Smile, thank the volunteers, enjoy the atmosphere and have fun.

Bags:

-          Morning Clothes Bag:  T1 Full Wetsuit, crack pipe, body glide, goggles (x2), race swim cap, 1-Gel, bottle of water, bottle of water with Skratch Hydration, three 2nd Surge caffeinated gels for bike, spare tire/tube/CO2, 6 salt caps in dispenser for bike, 2 disposable bottles of GE (1 for BTA/1 for rear seat), BTA bottle, and small towel.  Electrical Tape, toilet paper in Ziploc/sanitizer, arm warmers, Garmin 520. Plastic or newspaper if cold temps

-          T1 Bag:  Helmet, bike shoes, small Ziploc bag with Advil/Imodium/pepto

-          T2 Bag:  running shoes, socks with Vaseline in toes/rolled, large Ziploc/Go Bag: EN trucker cap, race belt w/ bib and 8 Gels or Bloks, salt caps, race saver bag, banana

-          Bike Special Needs (only stop if needed):  1 tube/CO2, 1 mini chamois cream

-          Run Special Needs (only stop if needed):  Don’t need

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks - great plan! good detail, I am sure others will pick it apart the details - 
    swim - You've swam in Mirror lake during camp I assume. Get on the cable, fight for it, it will be a scrum for the entire race, you will be faster for it, worth the effort. I've raced with you, ridden with you and stalked you (I was supposed to be your competition, or was it the other way around? before getting injured) you get stronger by discipline as the day goes on. Start with a solid swim. 

You will do great on the bike. If you get off the bike at 5:45ish and go sub 1:10 in the swim, with your run, you have the potential to get on the podium, or better. Forget what @Coach Patrick  will say that you need to be top 10 off the bike. You are a big guy who runs like Mirinda Carfree.

Per what Withrow wrote on my plan last year, your goal is to get to the 2nd turn around at the end of River Road as fast as possible, you will figure out how to stomp the shizz out of the last 8 miles. as hard as you went in Louisville, you will need to be harder, stronger and mentally tougher. the ski jump hill, townie hill, brewery hill are all going to hurt. walk (with purpose) the final pitch of townie hill before the left turn, when you get under that traffic light and make a left hand turn, you are in final sprint mode for 2.5 miles. run the remainder of the hillup to the brewery, keep accelerating on the Mirror lake out and back, ONLY grab water to throw on yourself as you fly through the aid stations, sprint the oval and go to the med tent. They'll put you back together and you will have had the race of your life. 

I am looking forward to watching this! 
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks -- last year was clearly a breakthrough year, with a 1.25 hour improvement at IMLOU.  Your plan seems spot on with where you're at this year.  (How cool it is to keep getting faster as we get older!!)

A few things:
    1) To start the bike you have "get HR below 130 bpm, don’t worry about watts".  I had a very similar approach at IMLOU last year, but my HR never went down.  Maybe my expectation of how low it should get was off.  If it doesn't drop, don't panic.  Keep an eye on watts as another data point

2) What happens if the weather is cold and crappy?  Does your HR drop?  Same if it's hotter than normal.  I trust you know how your body performs

3) You'll start the run with eight (8) gels strapped to your body.  Why so many?  Maybe you plan to hand them out to your AG competitors as you pass them ... just kidding of course ... but can't you use the on-course gels?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2018 4:21PM
    Derrek...I see a solid, controlled plan. What I don't see is your attitude going into this race. As Scott has noted above, you have made massive improvements in the water and on the bike over the past few years. That, plus your already superior run, has vaulted you into the category of those who are "here to race". I know you have a game face (I saw it on the run on River Road in 2015), I just want to be sure you put it on from Kilometer Zero.

Scott's advice is spot on...that cable is yours, you will not be moved. Ignore everything and everyone around you, just put your head down and swim. Sure, keep within yourself, but remember the dictum to "Swim as fast/hard as you can while still maintaining form" is not an invitation to be relaxed, it's an invitation to race. With that in mind, maybe you should be seeding yourself in the next fastest group?

On the bike, from what I saw in Mallorca, you have the engine to give you that 5:45, and still have that sub 3:30 marathon in your legs. I don't want to mess up your usual pattern, but I have found that relying on hitting the manual lap button rather than relying on routine 4 miles laps helps me focus better on the watts I *should* be holding at any particular point and terrain during the 112 miles. I don't want to mix watts on the flats with watts on a down- or up- hill when I look at my current lap watts.

While there's an argument to be made for slimming down even 8 oz by shedding the gels, I have to admit that during IM marathons, I carry a six ounce flask of gel with me, so I can get my own stuff, and, quite literally, "have something to hold onto" during the race.

Again, Scott/Withrow have the message for the run. The way I have always thought about it is: Stupid slow for the first 5-8 miles (depending on the day), then Marathon Pace RPE through about mile 14-17, Half Marathon Pace effort level from 16-21 or so, 10K effort until mile 23/4, 5K until the last mile, than going all out with whatever's left. My idea is not to be going faster,  but to recognize that to maintain speed, the effort level has to be continually increasing. You've done enough stand alone running races that you know internally just what those RPEs feel like. Use that knowledge to keep driving yourself forward.

Don't think of it as a burden, but rather an endorsement, that there will be a lot of us watching you through the day, and hoping/expecting to see another step up on your IM journey.
  • Options
    Trending faster 4 ironmans in a row. I see no reason why the 5th can't be faster than the 4th. Tons of great comments above, I will try to say it another way, at some point with all the successful training and racing you have had you will be ready to really go for it, first you must want to go there, then you must believe, then you must discard all these limiters we use, and smartly push beyond what you thought you could, we are stronger and more capable of what we think we are, if you go there be willing to accept the outcome whatever it may be and learn from it!  Enjoy your day and Good Skill!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks I agree with the others you are on the pointy end of the AG stick and need to think race a little more.

- Swim you mention taking 6-700 yds to get comfortable.  You may lose some of the fast feet you could draft on.  Coach Rich used to hammer the first 3-400 as a sub hour swimmer.  While I would not recommend it for this race with the warm up can you limit the warm up time for the swim.
    - Bike 40 minutes of JRA could be shortened up if you are going for it.
    - run I'll try to find it but I believe there was a thread on finding time on the run course there and the net down hill at the start may provide an opportunity with your run weapon.  Pick Coach P's brain at the 4 keys as you are in rarefied air in the 3:30 marathon area.
    - Finally you seem to be taking in a lot of calories at the start of the run a gu or 3 blocks at each aid station, with water of GE.  Then this drop off dramatically.  

Have a great race.  I'll be tracking the team on race day.
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks

Curious about these Second Surge Gels you're using. Obviously you have trained with these. Do you feel a need to have protein when running? I'm not suggesting to change things now, but these gels have a lot of "stuff" in them, particularly fructose which is slow acting.

If your gut goes south stop eating these on the run. Especially in the second half when what you need is carbs-salt-water-caffeine.

Have a great race!! You're strong.

• Options
    @Sheila Leard -- great observation on the 2nd Surge

@Derrek Sanks -- your body will only absorb 200-300 calories per hour on the run.  What brand are the eight gels you plan to use?  Sheila is spot-on that you don't want protein on the run.  Use a couple of the Second Surge on the bike, and keep the run nutrition simple.  You can survive (and thrive) with nothing but Coke from mile 13 to the finish
  • Options
    Wow! Great comments...very motivational. I'm going to re-read these several more times before race day. Thanks for the feedback!

@Scott Dinhofer  - Wise comments and thanks for sharing Withrow's advice...golden! We will race together again so heal up strong.

@Paul Curtin - Good point about HR not dropping to expected levels. I'll keep that in mind.
    I perform great in cooler temps and Ok in warmer temps, but horrible in high humidity. In the latter situations I pay close attention to keep HR out of high Z4/Z5.
    As we discussed, excellent point on the Gels. I always plan on a gel every 5 miles but in all my previous IM runs, I only consumed 4-5 gels. I'll carry a couple GU Gels and use the course provided Clif Bloks (I've trained with both). That should shed a 1/2-pound of extra weight.  :D

@Al Truscott - I always take your comments to heart...they're like gold nuggets! The race attitude will be there come race day. I've found that I perform/race better when I stay humble/laid back leading up to the race as to keep the pressure off myself. I fully intend to, for the first time, race the bike going to that "edge", which I've always avoided in the past.
    I like your method of manual laps. I'll have to think about that. At some point my mind turns off (even simple math gets difficult) and I'd forget to hit the lap button. Auto lap is one less brain function. LOL.  
    Likewise, I like your run pace effort level progression. I've had similar execution thoughts like that but never that mile-specific. I'm copying that to my race plan. Thanks!

@tim cronk - Well said! I will read this again on race morning: "...at some point with all the successful training and racing you have had you will be ready to really go for it, first you must want to go there, then you must believe, then you must discard all these limiters we use, and smartly push beyond what you thought you could, we are stronger and more capable of what we think we are..." Copying it to my race plan too. I've been able to do that for stand alone running races but haven't gone there in triathlons. I hope to change that next Sunday. Thank you for those words!

@Gordon Cherwoniak - Very good point! Yes, with a proper swim warm up, I can reduce it to the first 100 yds or less. Thanks! The JRA portion is through the Keene descent, ~35-40 mins. I mis-stated my run nutrition plan. Instead of sticking to 1 gel every 5 miles, I will take an extra 1 - 2 gels in the first 6-10 miles. (Eat when feeling good/lower HR). Then, I'll get back to a gel every 5 miles until I get tired of them and will switch to GE. Thanks for your comments.

@Sheila Leard - Sorry for the confusion. I only use 2nd Surge gels on the Bike (every 2 hrs). When I switched from racing with Infinit (which had 3g of protein) to GE (0 protein), I still needed some protein to keep from feeling hungry. My gut doesn't like solid food. 2nd Surge provides some protein and caffeine. It worked well last year. Do you have any suggestions on sources for liquid protein on the bike? Thanks for your insight.

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks I have nothing left to say.... I know you are going to absolutely hammer this and I can't wait to watch it all unfold!  Have fun and race smart!!
  • Options

@Derrek Sanks ,

Sorry I’m late to the party.  Couple of observations/thoughts:

Swim:  I would do the practice swim every day you’re there.  Try to get comfortable.  Plenty of opportunity to warm up race morning and get the wet suit on properly.  As for the rolling start, they let a half dozen or so enter the water every 5 seconds or so, so it’s a pretty calm start.  I would get in a “faster” group just because they’ll tow you along, will swim straighter and won’t do any of that breaststroke crap that is so popular with the 1:10-20 crowd.  I know this is your least favorite discipline. Because the rolling start is pretty mellow, there really isn’t that 300-500 yard sprint like at the beginning of a mass start.  Settle in near, on or inside the cable and focus on breathing the first 5-10 minutes.  A large chunk of us really hold our breaths during the opening minutes, and that compounds any anxiety.  So, listen to yourself exhaling slowly, even mumble a word as you exhale underwater (“chill,” “relax,” etc.).  It works pretty well to eliminate any race-start anxiety.

You and I have similar FTPs and HR zones, so a few things in your bike and run plans caught my attention:

Bike: “After Keene, target 180-193 watts (.70 - .75).”  193?  IMO, that’s way too hot.  You went 167NP at Louisville last year and had a great race.  You went 198NP in Raleigh 70.3 a little over a month ago, which was 77% IF (about perfect), and that was hot enough to post the 11th fastest bike split AG.  Which . . . allowed you to run the second fastest run split.  Textbook EN execution.

There are a lot of really strong runners like you heading to LP this weekend, but only a few are going to get the opportunity to show off their run speed.  That’s because the LP bike course forces the less gifted cyclists to over-bike (300+ TSS) and begs the gifted-but-foolish cyclists to do the same.  And sooo many people in the latter group are going to take the bait and ruin their runs.  I just don’t want you to inadvertently fall into that latter group.  Your race rehearsal in Placid a few weeks ago was 168NP, but your HR was low, so I assume you left quite a bit of effort on the table.  Thus, I would suggest finding a range in between the two extremes of 168 and 193, maybe 178-183?  Right around that .70 IF.  If you overcook the bike by 5-10 watts, you’ll definitely gain a few minutes on the bike.  But the run cost could be 10x that “savings.”  If you undercook it by the same 5-10 watts/couple of minutes, you’ll make up that bike “loss” before you hit the ski jumps the first time on the run.  Even though you’re a great all-around athlete, your lethal weapon remains the run, and this course is a smart biker/fast runner’s dream.

“Power will vary a lot due to constantly changing grades; focus on lap NP (every 4 miles).”  Wrong!  Your speed will vary constantly due to the grade changes, but your watts will not vary.  At all.  Instead, they will remain dead-on steady the entire 112, with only a few minor spikes on a few of the steeper grades.  If 180 feels too easy after you settle in after the Keene descent, then you’ve found the right number.  Don’t worry – it won’t feel as easy at Mile 95.  You only have three main tasks on the bike (the other two being aero and nutrition/hydration), and riding with perfectly steady power (low VI) right at your target watts is crucial for success on this course.

“If HR is under 140, stay on top of power targets; if HR is over 145 back off.”  Unlike your wattage plan, this appears to be WAY too hot.  You biked Louisville last year with an Avg HR of 130, you biked Raleigh 70.3 at 135 Avg HR, and your RR at Placid a few weeks back was 115.  Where the heck did 140 come from?  As a floor?  Frankly, I would scrap all of the HR stuff on the bike.  Ride your watts obsessively.  If you have the fitness (you do) and you nail your watts with low VI without ever going above 220w (you can and will accomplish that with your 28 cassette), your HR will be just fine.  If your power meter somehow fails, then follow HR and race the same average HR (130) you did at Louisville.

Run:  If you nail the ride like I know you will, then the LP run course will be pretty easy for you.  Well, as "easy" as the IM run can be.  It has plenty of ups and downs to work various muscle groups, so fatigue can be postponed until you start the climbs the second time.  The net downhill first 6 make it really difficult to spike your HR.  Your last 60 minutes of biking at Louisville was at 131 Avg HR.  Even if it’s a bit higher at LP (say, 135), you won’t have any trouble getting it down to 135-40 in the opening miles of the run.  At Louisville last year, you ran the first 5 miles between 135-40, then ran mid-140s the rest of the way in (with a dip at Miles 23 and 24).  Again, pretty perfect EN execution.  If you feel like you left something on the run table in Louisville, then I would recommend moving into the mid-140s as soon as you get past the ski umps onto the river road and maybe creep up to 146 and 147 and see how it feels.  But, whatever you do, don’t let your HR get anywhere near 150.

“Mid-150s is cap until mile 18” and “Walk at top if HR is too high (160+)”.  Huh?  I also don’t know where these numbers are coming from.  You blasted the brutally hot and hilly Raleigh 70.3 run course with an Avg HR of 150.  And you want to run LP in the mid-150s and perhaps even 160?  Please don’t.  Just run something in the mid-140’s like you did at Louisville and stay there.  Use HR as both a restraint and a whip.  I wanted to run LP last year at 140 HR and think I ended up averaging 139.  The top of my Z2 is 145, and that’s where I try to run when I really want to race.  For LP, I just used that 145 as the max I wanted to hit on the climbs.  And the only two hills that matter on the entire course are the climbs up the ski jump and Lisa G hills – on the first loop.  Thus, these are the only two places on the course where you will fully concentrate and refuse to let yourself make a critical error.  And spiking your HR to 160+ would definitely qualify as such.  It was easy for me to keep HR around 145 on the ski jump hill, but by the top of Lisa G I saw it hit 147, 148 . . . immediately walked.  It probably cost me 10 seconds short-term, but likely saved me many minutes on the second loop.  Once you hit those hills on the second loop, do whatever you want to your HR.  You’re close enough to home at that point.

I’m expecting another breakthrough race for you.  And I’m so glad I’m not racing this year because you’re a nightmare for our AG (i.e., that guy running 7:30’s a half mile back at Mile 21 when I’m cramping up and struggling to maintain 9’s).  Get comfortable in the water and go hard while maintaining form for the entire 2.4.  Race the transitions as if there’s prize money on the line.  If you make a mistake on the bike, ride too easy, eat too little or drink too much.  All other potential bike mistakes shall be avoided at all costs.  Be smart on the way back/up into town on the first loop of the run, and you’ll be in perfect position to run 3:30 or better.  And make the nightmare come true for many.

Best of luck/skill.  I’ll be watching and cheering.

MR

• Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - Thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    @Mike Roberts
    Thanks for taking the time to really dig into my plan and provide thoughtful, logistical comments. Great points on the swim...thanks!
    My HR is so dependent on the temps I really need two sets of numbers, one set for 70 and below and one set for 80 and above. I was assuming a warmer day with some humidity at LP. Therefore, I used HR numbers at are at the upper limits, points where I'd need to make a decision. On the bike, I will only monitor HR if it's a warm day. Otherwise, as you said, I'll ride based only on watts. I expect my HR on the run to be in the mid-140s (depending on temps) and temporarily spike to low 150 on the 2 hills.
    My bike power numbers are low and high ranges/limits for what I want to see on each 4 mile lap. At the LP Camp I noticed my power on many of the uphills would easily reach into 200-220 range. Overall, I expect to see my N. power closer to .70, as you suggested. 
    Again, a big Thank you for your feedback!