Home Racing Forum 🏎

Gary Lewis 2018 IMLP Race Plan

FACTS: 

FTP: 208  Elite Trainer with TR/ZWIFT shows 215 

VDOT: 35 

WEIGHT: 170 LBS 2.7 w/kg 

Bike: Ventum One, 50/34 front, 11-32 rear.

Wetsuit: Xterra LS

Kit: EN Castelli Speed suit.

Shoes: HokaOneOne Napali

My first (and only) IM was AZ 2016.  I have learned and forgotten a few things since then and hoping for any/all advice.  I chose IMLP since it was a Team race and the 20th anniversary.  I think I made a miscalculation in choosing this race because completing good race rehearsals has been difficult.  It is way too hot in AZ this time of year.

I do feel I have made quite a bit of progress in my training and had a decent build all things considered.  I really should have worked on my swimming in the OS.  Previous IM swim 1:25 and should be about the same.

Goal #1:  Finish and have fun.  I'm not at the pointy end, but really enjoy racing with teammates and team MOJO.

Goal #2:  Finish in the top 50% of AG.  In all of the triathlons I have entered, I don't think I have never finished in the top half of my division.

Goal #3:  Finish in the top 33% of AG.  This is my stretch goal.  If I have an excellent day and execute like a ninja, I can finish around 13:00 which according to past history puts me in the topo 100 racers in AG and top 33%.

My "One thing" is always my family and seeing them on the course.  I am also running for Sgt. Justin Rogers and Medals of Honor.  I thought about him and his sacrifice on many training runs and will use that thought when it gets really tough.

SWIM ~1:30

I may or may not wear my Fenix5 on the swim.  I can’t swim any faster, but may want the data for later.  Line up with the people in the 1:15 group.  I am a right side breather, so I will let them all fight for the cable and line up and swim a little to the left of the pack.  I will swim in my Xterra wetsuit with wax ear plugs and tinted goggles.  Won’t really care what the time is on the clock when I get out as it is just the beginning of the day and won’t affect anything.  Try to swim steady, relaxed, visualize rotation and climbing the ladder, then swim some more until it is over.  Break the swim into four sections for mental goal achievement. Focus on stroke.  I don’t count them, with my ADD that adds too much nonproductive thought.  Get out of the water, pull off cap and goggles and leave in arm of wetsuit while taking arms out.  Find a wetsuit stripper to get the rest off.  Jog to T1

T1

Get T1 bag, put on Rudy Wing57 helmet with sunshade, shoes, no socks. Put wetsuit, cap and goggles in bag.  Jog/walk bike to mount line and get on bike. 

BIKE ~6:30

Take it easy on the power until the Keene descent.  Drink as much as I can in this zone to catch up on hydration.  I use a custom mix Infinit.  I will have a full tank 1.4L on the Ventum, plus one full bottle in rear cage.  I also have a bottle of water for cooling and drinking in 2nd rear cage.  I plan to make a stop at SN to reload the Infinit.  Last time I mixed concentrate.  Lately, my mouth doesn’t seem to handle the salty drinks, so I'm going regular strength instead.  I will give up the 5 minutes at SN to ensure I drink enough calories and don’t have carry it all at once.  I will also have a cliff bar and a gel in the bento box, for any hunger.  If its really hot, I can supplement with GE and SaltSticks.  Pee on bike twice. 

After Keene descent, settle into riding the flat at a NP of 150.  VI will be the biggest challenge.  Focus on not spiking the climbs too much or riding too hard.  Hopefully the 11-32 will help.   Stay aero for the entire ride and try not to zone out too much.  Spend last couple of miles sitting up, stretching neck and letting HR descend.  Stop at dismount line, get off bike, jog/walk bike to T2.  Cheer for your rear, cause you are off the bike.

Test rides/RR rides had too much VI (on flat land) but was able to ride 112 in 6:05 with a NP of 147 and TSS of 283. 

T2

Remove helmet and shoes, give to volunteer and thank them.  Put on race belt, socks reverse rolled and kept inside shoes pre-lubed with Vaseline and shoes. Grab go bag that contains Tylenol, sunglasses and hat.  Start watch for run.

Run ~5:00

Utilize run/walk as necessary to keep HR below 140 for the first 3 miles.  Try to stay with run pace of 11:00.  Walk the aid stations, no more than 20 seconds.  Eat one gel every 4-5 miles.  Walking the aid stations and getting GE at each one.  When sick of GE switch to coke.  Try to keep focused on form so I don’t heel strike.  First 3 miles of loop is downhill and last 4 is steep uphill.  Stay slow and steady, to have energy for the final push. Keep an eye on pace to keep from pushing too hard in the first 18. 

Challenge to run entire 26.2.  Cross the finish line and soak it all in.

BAGS 

T1 BAG marked with fluorescent yellow duct tape and numbers on it.

• Small towel
  • Helmet
  • Shoes

BIKE SPECIAL NEEDS BAG 

3 Bottle of Infinit 

• Extra tube
  • Extra CO2
  • Chamois cream 

T2 BAG marked with fluorescent yellow duct tape and race number on it 

Socks in each shoe and rolled for easy entry and lubed with Vaseline. 

• Hoka Napali shoes 
  • Go bag (clear zip-lock) inside T2 bag:
    • Hat/Visor
    • Sunglasses
    • Race belt with bib
    • Tylenol

RUN SPECIAL NEEDS :

Extra pair of socks 

• Vaseline

Things to take to morning start: 

• Bottle electrolyte water to sip.
  • TP in zip-lock bag
  • Bottle for bike Infinit in rear cage 
  • Disposable bottle of water in rear cage 
  • Tri-slide spray can for wetsuit
  • Throw away pair of socks 

MORNING RACE BAG  

• IM Swim cap
  • Aquashpere tinted swim goggles 

RACE MORNING 

4:00am Wake up, Apply sunscreen, Tri-Slide, put on HRM, race kit and warm clothes. 

Make bagel with peanut butter.  Make and drink 2 cups of coffee.  Hopefully use the RR to lighten the load before leaving hotel.  Take banana and electrolyte water, walk to Start. 

5:40am Transition: Pump up tires. Confirm chain on smallest gear. Add bottles to rear, fill Ventum tank. Turn on Garmin Edge and calibrate with PM.

5:45am Sit with Ronda while waiting for start.  Give Ronda phone and set up Qollector and post link for friends. Visualize a smooth day. Ronda will drop off special needs bags.

6:20am Put on wetsuit, ear plugs, swim cap and googles

6:30am Head over to water entry. 

6:45am Line up just behind the 1:15 hr sign 

Comments

• @Gary Lewis
    LP isn't as bad as people think, it's a great venue and you're gonna kill this!

some notes - swim - your line up at the back of the next fastest group is smart. I don't know what others have done, but I know for the last 2 years if I had done a warmup swim, i'd not have gotten up to the front of the swim start. go there EARLY - i'd say to line up at 615. Wear the fenix for data later. count strokes, My ADD causes me to lose count and start again it keeps you busy and focused. Do a practice swim before race day and understand being on the cable. FIGHT to be on the cable on race day, it WILL make you faster... I've gone from a 1:24 swimmer to a 1:08 swimmer here. I am willing to bet you go 1:25 or better just by being on the cable. 

Transitions - free time here, lots of it. Jog from Wetsuit strippers to bag in T1. dump stuff on floor of tent. Pro-tip have a $5 sbucks card in your bag, call a volunteer over, ask them to pack the bag and tell them there's a gift card as a thank you. THANK them! don't go crazy with transition speed, but be thoughtful & purposeful, remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Read my RR from last year, grabbed the bag with Pink duct tape and got to transition and it was NOT mine... look for the tape, but CONFIRM it's the right bag!

you do NOT have to stay aero for the entire ride, that is one of the beautiful thinks of a hilly course. if you are climbing under 10mph, sit up, stretch your back. Reminder that GPS takes time to get your speed down to where it is, so it's ok to sit up as speed drops below 11. Get back in the bars when you see 10 again on the GPS. 

from the 2nd time you visit the turnaround to the finish is where your race is made.. walk when you need to but with PURPOSE, EVERY mile of pain is 9-11' of less pain to the finish, this is THE definition of Endurance. Stay focused when everyone around you is whining. 

have an AWESOME day!

• Solid plan Gary. It sounds well thought out. I think the pre-race EN Team photo is at 6:00 AM. Looking forward to meeting and sharing the course with you. Taper well these next several days!
  • @Gary Lewis Great Plan, you are going to love IMLP swim vs. IMAZ swim.  Dont worry I left lots of MOJO on the Ventum for you :-)  I think your 6:30 estimate from a flat 6:05 RR is pretty close, dont worry about VI as long as its earned via coasting and NOT spiking too high on the hills but do allow a little extra power up those hills.  The run isnt nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, with 2x little hills coming back into town , just be smart first time through.  Enjoy your day and good skill!
  • @Scott Dinhofer Please explain the thought of fighting to be on the cable.  Why would it be so much faster than 3 yards left of it? 

Transition question for you.  In AZ I didn't even go into the tent except to pass through, grabbed my bag, just put on my shoes, etc outside where it was light and dropped my bag on the way out.  Is that a possibility here?  My T1 time was 8:48 and T2 was 5:55 (with porta-jon pee stop).  Obviously every course is different, whats your recommendation?

I know I'm strange, but I like to ride aero.  I even do a lot on the trainer in aero.  It seems to use different quad muscles that for me are stronger.  But, I do tend to zone out and just pedal even when outside. ADD again.  I'll check out your RR.  

@Derrek Sanks I'll sure I will be at the photo, missed it in AZ.  Looking forward to meeting/racing with you.

@tim cronk thanks, appreciate the MOJO and although we are fighting different battles on the 22nd, I'll be thinking of you.  Any water is better than AZ. ;-)

• @Gary Lewis - I've tried the "3 yards away" concept. Here's the rub - "on the cable" means you can see it and use it, whether you are a yard or two to the left or the right, if you can see it, you are in the scrum. 

when you are in total contact as I was, you focus even more on your stroke, you don't want to overdue it, but being in the melee makes you stay on your game. if you lock in with people swimming the same speed, you can alter your stroke when things get tired, and immediately see if you are hurting yourself. 

T1 - there is no place to go but in the aid tent. RUN (not too fast, don't want you getting hurt) from suit strippers to bag entrance at the fence. 

T2 is more straightforward

the water is amazing. swim it 2 or 3 days before the race and see what it means to be on the cable and where you may have to swim under buoys without freaking out if you get pushed that way. 

@tim cronk "little hills," they never seem that way on the 2nd loop  :#
  • Gary - you sound confident with a little trepidation. Good place to be going into an IM! I'll reiterate a few points already made.
    • Swim cable? That depends on your confidence as a swimmer. On the one hand, at the pace you're going, many of the swimmers will be less than accurate in keeping straight, even if they have to cable to help. Staying to one side or the other may result in people drifting back and forth in front of or even into you. On the other, if you are someone who can block out the anxiety of others around you and the actual/occasional physical contact, the cable is the better choice. I went 4 minutes faster in LP than in IM AZ (1:12/1:16) the year before by *refusing* to yield. That's because I literally never lifted my head to sight.
    • Aero on the bike? At speeds less than about 12 mph, the increased ability and ease to generate power while more upright probably outweighs the small gains from being aero, unless the wind is strong in your face. Something to consider. Moving around helps on the run, your hip flexors will be less stiff. Up the Three Beasrs, for example, there is probably nothing to be gained from forcing yourself to be aero every second.
    • Run/Walk as a strategy from the git go is the way to think about it. Always seeing "11:XX" every mile will get you that sub 5:00. Your biggest challenge, as you know, will be the final climb at mile 24 or so. The decisions you make prior to and during that ascent will determine how you end up feeling about your race performance. Give your future self something to be proud of.

• @Gary Lewis 

- I agree with the comments on getting to the wire as al mentioned if you can deal with a little contact.  In 2017 the pro's were to be given the inside of the loop to avoid the masses.  On loop two you could go there as the pros will be out of the want.  I found most age groupers were reluctant to go there, I swam 1:30 something. So starting later and a 45' first lap gave the pros about an hour to get done. 
    Bike
    - what's taking it easy until the Keene descent, .65 IF?  Have some idea what this number is as there is a climb up the ski hill right out of town, which bring me to point two.
    - You will have to let you HR settle from the swim, will be climbing so just watch the intake very early on then get in the calories.  The addition of the 1 mile out and back at the olympic sport complex adds in some flat riding to get calories before the Keene descent.
    - With a 2.7 w/kg a 50/34 and a 32 you should be okay on the hills.  At time you may have to lower the cadence to keep the power down and definitely keep it below .85 as much as possible.  
    -Your target in 150 NP, with the RR at 147.  Not a lot of difference but I caution you to watch the power on lap one and don't exceed this by too much.  Lake Placid rewards the good execution and have the ability to keep your power on the climb back in to town can not be over stated.  I've burned myself out on lap one, back in 2004 getting cramps on the Hassleton road section and it was a grind getting back to town.  The good thing is going back to the old course is the climb back in to town is not separated from the climb from Jay to Wilmington.  
    - I find it harder to eat on the Jay to Wilmington section given the watts I have to output so I try to get in some extra nutrition on the flats after the descent.  

Run
    - Not sure if that's just a typo but the run out 6 miles is net downhill the 6 back in to town it up. 
    - @tim cronk his little hills should not be discounted for a 35 Vdot mid pack age grouper.  Tim is an exceptional athlete that can run this course off a high IF bike. For me at a 6 hour marathon in 2017 coming off the bridge I can make it 1/2 to 3/4's of the way up the hill then walk due to HR.  The hill by Lisa G's also has some walking again due to HR spike.  Then if I recall after turning at the lights on to main street I had to walk a bit on the second lap as the HR as spiking.  
    - Focus on you form as you come in to the hill and I'd say don't push the power if you had a stryd.  That is don't attack the hill and for me I concentrate on shortening up the stride a little (not sure this is good per say but it help me keep my HR down).
    - For me on lap 2 its mentally challenging on riverside Drive miles 16-21 and more so 18-21, especially as it gets dark have your one thing ready.  You will have more people around you with a 13 hour finish start picking people off.

Race bags
    - you mention electrolytes if needed.  I always like to put some extra in my special needs bags and even the t2 go bag.  Then you have extra if needed.  They did have base on the course in 2017 but you never know when an aid station might run out of something.
    - Lake Placid can get cool and if raining this just add to it.  I've put a throw away long sleeve shirt in my run special needs.  An extra tube anything rubbing could be useful.
    - You might also need some gear for the start of the bike if it's cool as well.

Have a great race

• @Al Truscott and @Scott Dinhofer Thank you for the advice.  I can take a little swim beating.  I will plan to swim the cable and if the beating is too much, I'll move left.  I will try to make time to swim on Friday to see what the cable is like.

@Gordon Cherwoniak Bike "Easy" is JRA, letting the HR come back to normal.  I realize there is some mild climbing on the way out.  I can ride the course at a higher NP, but using the 150 as a "should" not the "could".  Nutrition is all liquid calories from Infinit.  It is much easier to drink from Ventum straw than try to eat.  I only eat solids to satiate my hunger.

Run, watching HR for 3 miles was not a typo.  After jogging transition, and excitement, its a check to keep me from going crazy.  The next 3 miles are downhill from what I understand, so that will be easy to keep a quicker pace with lower HR.  As you have stated there is plenty of climbing on the run into town, and I don't want to be walking.  My kryptonite is similar to most, it is the heat.  I am not a heavy sweater, but the humidity will probably by high, so I will be carrying some SaltCaps with me and if it is a hot, humid day I will be supplementing as necessary.  Past race experience says if I'm in the race, it will be the hottest day of the year.  Cool would be a blessing, I'm bringing two rain jackets, arm warmers and my EN jacket.  I will decide if/how to utilize them when the weather can be more accurately predicted.

I fully understand the difference of a pointy end racer and myself.  I think Al said it correctly "confident with a little trepidation".  Until completing the first lap, I really won't have a "feel" for the hills on either the bike or the run.  Run goal is to "not to slow down".  I consider myself more of a diesel freight train, slow and steady.  Not sure I'll be picking off anyone, at mile 16-21 unless they went out too hard.

Thank you all for reading and commenting.  Having never experienced this course adds to the difficulty.  Your thoughts help me to make sure I have prepared my mental game correctly.  
  • @Gary Lewis Sorry the three I was referring to was in the second one bolded below, definitely keep the HR in check at the start of the run.

"Utilize run/walk as necessary to keep HR below 140 for the first 3 miles.  Try to stay with run pace of 11:00.  Walk the aid stations, no more than 20 seconds.  Eat one gel every 4-5 miles.  Walking the aid stations and getting GE at each one.  When sick of GE switch to coke.  Try to keep focused on form so I don’t heel strike.  First 3 miles of loop is downhill and last 4 is steep uphill.  Stay slow and steady, to have energy for the final push. Keep an eye on pace to keep from pushing too hard in the first 18."

- You are correct that the first 3 miles has the biggest downhill sections but pretty much to the turn around first 6 miles is net down hill.  As I read it now you were referring the start and end of the loop.  I was referring to the first 6 miles of the each loop.  On Riverside Dr. there are some ups and downs and I did walk one in my 6 hour marathon on loop two for 20-30 second as I recall in 2017.  
    - Also if you look at the run profile here - http://www.ironman.com/~/media/2406761379634f99a8b6aa91f1474aef/im%20lp18%20coursemap%20run%20cc%20web.pdf
    You see that after you turn off Riverside drive is goes gradually up from about mile 8-9 over the bridge.  It then turn up more sharply the hill I referred to earlier making it about 3/4 and 1/2 the way up running.  Following that it flattens out and the is even a dip down before the hill at Lisa G's.  Use this section wisely to bring the HR down as best as possible.  Then is the lights a left hand turn flatter but you continue to go up right past the oval and it still up but flatten out before the turn around. 
    - If you have issues with the heat then make sure you are pouring water on yourself even during the bike before it's an issue.  Assuming you are carrying a water bottle on the ventum pour some on your head prior to coming in to each aid station then get a fresh bottle.  If it's really hot you could even pour some between aid stations I know I did one year when it was warm. On the run a little on the head an ice if they have it.
    - When you execute and are running you will find your self passing people, particularly in the 11:XX miles you are targeting.  Even with my 15:4X finish in 2017 there were still a number of people walking that I was picking off.  In an IM there's always lots of people who went out too hard.  I get the diesel analogy and a not slow down is completely doable on this course.
    - Finally if you have never been on course get to the 4 key talk, Coach P's raced and road this course many, many times and does a great job of breaking it down.  Also drive a loop of the bike and run course to help get an idea of the course prior to race day if possible. 

• @Gary Lewis 

You said "Eat one gel every 4-5 miles.  Walking the aid stations and getting GE at each one.  When sick of GE switch to "coke.  

If you hit an aid station every 10 -11 minutes that's five aid stations in one hour. And one gel  every 45-50 minutes. This is where the bloat can start because you are getting to much sugar. You can always swish and spit the GE. It's called carb rinsing. When the fatigue set s in this can work. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/sports/world-cup/harry-kane-england.html

I recommend carrying mint TicTacs and / or  Mint TUMS. for a mouth pick me up. 

Don't let the Infinite get in the way of properly hydrating. Stay on top of that.. If you haven't peed by 50 miles get on it!

Good luck. I know how much you've worked at getting the details in order. Every IM has it's own personality. Lake Placid is going to put on a show for you athletes. It's going to be an amazing week and race!
  • @Sheila Leard thanks for the gel reminder.  I know we discussed it before, but I forgot to adjust the plan.
  • @Gary Lewis

I want to commend you for taking on this big challenge, getting out of your comfort zone and going after a very different IM compared to IMAZ.  Many don't appreciate the difficulty in training for a northern IM when living in the south.  Training conditions in terms of heat and terrain (flat) are not ideal.  The amount of time/money it takes in terms of traveling are also a stress factor that adds to the load.

IMLP will not disappoint.  Having raced both IMAZ and IMLP myself, I think you are in for a treat.  Biggest item to note here is the difference between biking on flat terrain vs. hilly terrain.  Honestly, it does take time and practice on hills to learn how to control that VI and apply steady watts on the downhills without spiking on the uphills just like it takes practice holding watts on long flat courses.  Focus on maintaining your watts without spiking on the ascents, reset your bike lap computer frequently as terrain changes to help you stay in your box and don't worry about the bike time nor compare it to IMAZ bike times.  Patience and discipline here are the key.  Doesn't matter if you takes you 5:45 or 7:00 hours, key is to get to T2, well hydrated and fueled, with legs able to run a marathon.  Look for opportunities to save watts, stay aero as much as possible on flats and downhill portions.  Tell yourself these things over and over leading up to race day and while on bike leg of the event.

Setting yourself up for the run is your primary mission.

I'll be tracking and sending KMF energy vibes your way all day!

SS
  • @Shaughn Simmons thanks  for the advice, kind words and especially the MOJO.