Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Matt Limbert Canada 70.3 Whistler Race Plan

Course: Canada 70.3 in Whistler. 
Weather: 60 degrees at start. 90 degrees by noon.
-Swim: 1 loop. wetsuit, lake swim.
-Bike: 1 loop. 3956 ft gain.
-Run:  1 loop. 561 ft gain.

Bike Profile (in Km):

(7 mile climb from Callaghan to Olympic Park - a 40 min effort based on my Best Bike Split course simulation on the trainer.)

Run Profile (in Km):

Race Strategy overall: This race will be more about managing HR, adapting & discipline to nutrition/fluids schedule, and be in more conservative race plan (extend the transition period on the bike & be especially patient on the bike overall) to setup a competitive run in the heat.   

Self Assessment: Although the heat makes my race plan more conservative overall. I do want to push the envelope for racing in the heat – I am comfortable with rolling the dice here. I have plenty of other opportunities to race another half. Rolling the dice here will only help my learning process for managing heat, nutrition and race intensity. So, I would to test my heat racing skills here. My strongest discipline right now is the run. I have some momentum in the swim. My shortcoming has been the bike. I typically ride with a higher VI and need to be more disciplined. I have also noticed that the VI gets worse as I get fatigued.

Race Day Goals: My goals are process focused.

Overall: Stay present. Getting in and staying in a “flow” state. I want to stay patient early. Deliberately focused on what I am doing right now. Constantly adapting and problem solving. I will grade myself on: How well did I build my effort across the day? Across each discipline? How well did I stick or purposefully adapt my nutrition and hydration schedule? When did I decide to go harder? Why? How did that work out overall? When did my body stop processing nutrition? How does that match my effort?

My goals for each discipline are:

Swim: Start easy. Exhale hard for the first 15 strokes. Stabilize the hips. Find a rhythm and a draft. Build the effort. Notice when my mind drifts or becomes distracted and re-focus with counting strokes. Refocus point - Pick a landmark ¾ of the way – with the idea that you can pick up some time on those that lose focus here.  

Swim Leg idea: With my new momentum in swim fitness I hope to swim with less cost. I don’t need to crush the swim. In fact I don’t want to work very hard in the swim at all. I feel that my new aerobic swim will place me close enough and not cost me as much energy as it has in the past. I plan to seed aggressively with the 30 min swimmers, but I don’t need to race them to be the first out the water.

Bike: Be patient on the first half of the bike letting HR drop – first 17 Km down to bottom of Callaghan climb. Find a rhythm. Keep a low VI, climb from Callaghan to Olympic Park aerobically – diligently watching avg power, nominal power and HR. I want to feel like I’m holding back here. Refocus point: After passing Callaghan and Whistler on the return trip, during the second half allowing the HR to rise a bit (last hour of the bike) - maybe.  Execute my nutrition schedule (3-4 shot blocks, 1 bottle GE per 1 hr or 45 minutes as it gets hotter). Get and stay wet – pouring water on me early (especially while climbing). Exit the bike hydrated, soaked and hydrated. Notice when my mind drifts or becomes distracted, re-focus on getting cadence, breathing, HR and power into appropriate ranges for the terrain.

From my race rehearsals – its all about finding the right RPE to maximize speed while keeping my stomach working for fuel and hydration. I expect low 60s for the start and mid 80s- low 90s by the start of the run.
2x GE in the first hour
1x GE for the rest + 3 or 4 Shot Blocks per hour 310 Cal/hr, 700 mg sodium. (1 shot block per 15 minutes - aligned with 5 mile auto lap)

Bike leg idea: As the temperature increases, the room for error decreases. I plan to ride patiently and under control for the first 49 KM (~30 miles, Callaghan the second time – longer that I typically would for a HIM). It is a 7 mile climb from Callaghan to the Olympic park which gives half the elevation gain in the first quarter of the race. It also comes after 10 miles of net downhill. Together, the extended, early climb combined with the “I feel great going downhill and out transition” will lead to a lot of folks over cooking that climb, leading to a long day has they climb again out of Callaghan and return to Whistler for the other half of the elevation gain for the remaining 3/4s of the course. I plan to keep my effort low early and avoid spiking or sustaining a high HR on this climb. There is a lot of race left at that point. I plan to descend find “free” speed getting aero quickly after climbing, looking for tangents etc. I will audible an effort increase on the return leg to Whistler (about 1 hour from the finish). I’ll evaluate my HR, power and temperature and see what I can do to gain some speed on the back half of the bike.

Run: Be patient for the first 8k (5 miles). This part is net downhill and largely shaded. Use this time to transition and maintain the effort from late in the bike. Hold ice in the hands and race saver bag. Water on me. GE in me.  A cup of fluid (4 oz) per aid station early. Sipping GU gel as necessary (~30-40 min) as I can tolerate. Refocus point: Turn around at the far end of the lake (~9 mile, 14 Km mark). Notice when my mind drifts or becomes distracted, re-focus on getting cadence, breathing, HR and power into appropriate ranges for the terrain.

Run Leg idea: I want to find a rhythm in the first 8k (5 miles). These miles are net downhill and are straightforward. The real work starts at that 8km (5 mile) mark. Be prepared to get to work here. I intent to use that has the setup for racing the run. Letting the HR and power rise, which will decrease my ability to take and process any calories. I have been running with power and it has been extremely helpful/reassuring while running hills for maintaining a consistent effort (where HR and pace typically vary more widely while going up or down hill).

T1= Wetsuit off. Jog with a purpose. Dump bag. Jersey, socks, shoes. Helmet on as I jog to the bike. Ask volunteer to repack wetsuit etc. Gift card. Be efficient, there is time saved here

T2 = Helmet off on the way to the tent. Dump bag. Shoes. Go bag (sunglasses, race belt, hat, race saver bag). Half a banana at exit. Ask volunteer to repack. Gift card to volunteer. Exit - go slow, use time to get organized and sort out go bag during the first few minutes. Be patient.   

Other logistics / admin:

Pre-Race: 

Rest day early in the week: Practice change a tire, any tire, just to reminder yourself how and stay calm. Visualize how you will handle setbacks

Wed: Fly. Travel. Air BnB. M Start low fiber meals

Thurs: Race-check in? Assemble bike. Bike check ride. Drive bike course.    

Fri: Practice Swim. Pack transition bags (per checklists).

Sat:  Drop off bike and transition bags. Check out swim exit etc. High-carb / low fiber breakfast (pancakes/spaghetti) / small lunch / high carb dinner + 2x naked juice  

Sun: Wake: Early. Breakfast – 1x Naked Juice, Powerbar, 2x Stinger waffle, 3x shot block and sip bottle of Gatorade endurance. Sunscreen, lube, chip, EN race gear.  Race day bag (warm clothes). Shuttle to swim venue @ 5:15.

Thanks for reading. If you made it this far I would appreciate your thoughts.

Matt 

Comments

• Options
    @matt limbert

You must be getting use of a tent because the full IM is going on as well. Usually 70.3 is a clean transition so you have to stuff your wetsuit  and things into the bag and leave it. 

Your plan looks great! It'll be good see how many hours into the race before or if your body stops processing nutrition. My prediction is you won't be out there long enough for that to happen :)

Safe travels and be careful .... Kona is priority. 
  • Options
    A great plan @matt limbert ... your strategy for the bike looks perfect!

About the heat ... is it humid there?  90 degrees with low humidity is nothing, comparatively speaking.  I doubt you'll feel the heat on the bike

As Sheila points out, it's a relatively short race.  Mistakes don't show up in a half like they do in a full.  The mind doesn't tend to drift as much.  If you execute to your plan you'll be fine ... and perhaps a bit disappointed if you were hoping to experience some type of race issue.  You've had really good races and also really bad races; but now you know enough to avoid ever having a really bad race
  • Options
    Matt -- you wrote "Practice change a tire, any tire, just to reminder yourself how and stay calm. Visualize how you will handle setbacks"

Suggest you watch this video for tips on how to best deal with a flat tire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWhNg-QiTc
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this race plan @matt limbert ! I am impressed with your focus and level of detail, but I shouldn't be surprised. :) It is exciting that you are going to roll the dice. I am sure it will be informative whatever the outcome. And getting a better sense of your ability to handle heat will be helpful for Kona.

I was interested to note "Ask volunteer to repack. Gift card to volunteer." What are you asking the volunteer to repack? Put your wetsuit in a bag in T1 and your helmet and bike shoes, etc. in your transition bag in T2? Can't you just put that stuff on top of your bag & pack it after the race? Or are you asking them to pack the wetsuit up so it isn't in your way when you come back to T2? And do you actually carry a gift card to hand to the volunteer during the transition? Or do you identify the volunteer before the race? I've done a couple 70.3, but no 140.6, and maybe this relates to my lack of a 140.6 experience.

My transitions were not too slow in my last race, but if I can pick up some time with a gift card for a volunteer, I would :).

I'm also interested to see you start low fiber meals on Wednesday or race week. This is a place where I could improve.

Thanks!
    -Rob
  • Options
    I've got nothing to add, but I think i want to copy this and memorize it as my mantra on how to write a Race plan and the things i should be doing during a race.. Excellent piece of work, love the places you've pointed out as pushing the envelope and how you want to learn from that!
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard @Larry Peters Shelia & Rob - yeah, the 70.3 starts right after the full so, everybody gets to use the change tent. Shelia, good luck in Santa Rosa! You got racing in the heat nailed!

@Scott Dinhofer. Just keep it in your transition bag and give it to the volunteer who helps you. Good Karma!

@p@"Paul Curtin" Thanks for the question. The humidity is high (75%) at the start and drops to 25% by noon. The opposite of temperature. So, cool humid morning, mid morning dropping humidity and rising temp. Thanks for the vote of confidence. See you in Cleveland!

@Scott Dinhofer Thanks for reading and your encouragement. Great sherpa work for TC. Heal faster. I'm looking forward to Dinhofer 2.0.
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer - It's like the greatest hits of all the WSM feedback and advice I have gotten or from other race plans/reports. 
  • Options

@Scott Dinhofer Thanks for reading and your encouragement. Great sherpa work for TC. Heal faster. I'm looking forward to Dinhofer 2.0.
    I have to count it up but with a pause in 12/13 for a misdiagnosis and in '15 for a herniated disc, I think this is either Dinhofer4.0 or a whole new product, Hoff 1.0 !

thanks for the good mojo!
  • Options
    Plan is detailed and I am sure you will do what you set out to do.  Nice to know I'm not the only distractible racer on the team!  I have to redirect my focus a lot while racing.  *ohhh-shiny!  Oooh-butterfly! Oooohh nice bike! LOL*