Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

70.3 season selection & odds of Atlantic City or Waco 70.3 selling out in 2018?

Hi all,

I'm registered for CdA 70.3 6/24/18 and Steelhead 70.3 8/13/18 and very excited about 2018.

My 2018 goal is to get IM AWA (All World Athlete) silver or gold status and if possible get a 70.3 world championship qualifying slot. This year I placed ~20th in my AG at Steelhead 70.3 (my first "long course" race), and I age-group up next year. Based on the points I scored, the times of the older AG at Steelhead (the AG I'll be in next year) and looking at the AWA silver/gold cut off, silver should be pretty attainable if I can place as well as I did, but gold will/may be a stretch (aka exciting challenge).

My two options for a 3rd 70.3 race:
  • Atlantic City, NJ 70.3 9/23/18
  • Waco, TX 70.3 10/28/18

For 9/23/18, I would probably have to fly or drive out on Friday 9/21 and fly/drive back on Sunday 9/23 (fly?) or Monday 9/24 (fly or drive). This is "during the school year," so missing class on Friday and Monday is possible, but less than ideal. Not much time for course reconn and having a calm lead-up to the race. But, I have a good buddy from middle school, HS and college in Phili who is geeked to do this race with me if I say I can do it. I could share a hotel room with him. We've been wanting to race together for a couple years and never have. I've also been saying for a year or two I would visit him in Phili, so this would kinda be a visit :). This only allows 6 weeks between Steelhead and Atlantic City. But that seems like enough to recover, get a couple hard weeks in, and taper again.

10/28 is at the end of my "fall break," so I could spend the whole week in AustinSun City with my entire family (where they all live), and this would allow more time for course reconn. But this requires me to carry a full HIM training load during more of the fall semester. I'm a lot busier with work in the fall semester than during the summer. So that is a concern.

Originally I was leaning toward Waco, because all my family is in Austin, and it would allow me more time to (hopefully) improve in fitness/exection. But I'm also nervous about needed to score max points in 3/3 races to meet my AWA goal and not having a chance for a 4th race if I have a bad day. I'm also a bit nervous about carrying a more full HIM training schedule through more of my fall semester (as opposed to some recovery time and RDP or OS starting 9/24/18).

If I have Atlantic City be my third "A" race, and I have a bad performance at one of the first three, I could always decide to do Waco (5 weeks later), if I really wanted (if it doesn't sell out). Or if I was ready for the season to be done, and/or the first three races go really well, I could be done and just go visit my family during fall break in late October without a HIM to focus on.

I guess a couple additional considerations:
  • Is either Waco or Atlantic City likely to sell out?
  • Do you think one race would be easier to place higher in the Men's 35-39 AG?
I'm interested to hear if anyone has any related advice.

@Coach Patrick  and I have discussed this in my micro thread, but I figured I'd get the team to weigh-in also.

THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    Larry - I'm considering Waco 70.3 as a 3rd HIM for 2018...I already have a hotel booked.  You have good reasons to do both races so ultimately you need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages for yourself.  I don't think either will sell out, but Waco will benefit from first year buzz although the ST crowd thinks that it will mostly be a draw from Texas athletes.  As to AWA, my sources tell me that WTC is rethinking the program but I'm not privy to what direction it may go if indeed there is any change at all.  
  • Options
    Sweet, thanks a ton @Paul Hough ! Well, shoot. If they get rid of AWA, that does change my season focus a bit...hmmm.
  • Options
    First year I ever did halfs, I did two a week apart. 4 weeks between 70.3s is very easily doable, as long as you pay attention to recovery needs after the first.

I think it would be short-sighted of WTC to abandon AWA. Without it, there is much less motivation to do more than two races a year; 2019, I'm eyeing "going for the gold" again, which will require doing three IMs.
  • Options
    I haven't looked yet, but this should be my first time in the gold.. If you are really going for a 70.3WC slot, you will get the gold... focus on the races! I

I too would be shocked if they ditched AWA... It provides them with a "rankings" system, it also does have some benefits (I think the only one I use is the faster check in line at IM). Probably most important to IM is the revenue stream off of the AWA merchandise. 

Also, I am friends with a pro who I have coffee/ breakfast etc with when he's in town. In our last one, we had a chat about doping, both pro & AG. He thinks that IM turns a blind eye to it as these are the people that can hit multiple races per year with greater ease and will ante up for the races. Frequent fliers and anything they can do to encourage that will always be important to them. I'd expect to see changes to it vs them scrapping it. 
  • Options
    I doubt they would scrap AWA as well; I'm just saying the program is under review.
  • Options
    Being somewhat-local here in Dallas, I can tell you there is a lot of excitement around Waco and I predict it will sell out. Couldn't tell you when, but it will!
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander - the finish at the end of the suspension bridge looks uber cool.  

• Options
    @Scott Alexander - the finish at the end of the suspension bridge looks uber cool.  

I did TriWaco earlier this year, it's a sprint/Oly in late July, over mostly-similar course, and it also finished on the bridge for both races. It's pretty cool actually!
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander  I watched the video of the finish for TriWaco.  Locals involved with the WTC negotiations said it would be a very similar course.

• Options
    AC did sell out the last two years but it was mid summer.  This race is flat and fast.  no need for recon.  You can't leave too early on Sunday because you would have to stay around for the awards and roll down for worlds.  This is my home course and I can answer any questions.
  • Options
    @Larry Peters - I just registered for WACO 70.3 so my 2018 long course calendar is now set in stone.  Hope you can join me there.  That's 2 fewer LC races than 2017 so I can insert a few more short course tris ... first up is HITS Naples Oly on Jan 7!

• Options
    edited November 30, 2017 4:28PM
    FWIW, Waco is my backyard.  Waco replaces the Austin 70.3 that ended this year, a race I have done 6 times in the past decade.  I plan to race Waco next year for those of you that choose to race that day.  EN attendance is building.

SS
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons - over the years I've heard nothing but bad reviews on Austin 70.3.  Former ENr Bob McCallum especially despised it.  Waco looks cool.  It will be a whirlwind trip for me, but I intend to come in top form.  I look forward to KMFing it!

• Options
    Awesome, thanks a million everyone! Glad to hear AWA seems pretty safe. 

@scott dinhofer, I'm not sure if a WC slot is realistic, but we'll see. Based on my analyses (semi-limited), you could potentially get gold by placing top 10-15 in 3 races. So to get a WC slot, it would either have to roll down far (which it did for South Africa, but may not as much for France), or I"d have to place higher. My numbers are not amazing at the moment, but if I can get my resting/sleeping down better, I think I can make some solid progress, and we've got a lot of time.

Thanks a ton for the heads up about Waco potentially selling out @Scott Alexander and the cool finish @Paul Hough

@Robert Sabo , thanks a ton for the reminder that I'd have to wait around for potential roll down. That's not something I'm used to! :). I'll plan to take Monday off. Thanks also for the offer to answer questions! :) I read that the course is flat & fast, so that is definitely appealing to me.

Sounds like 2 ENers at Waco and 0 so far at AC. If I do race Waco, I will look forward to seeing you there, @Paul Hough and @Shaughn Simmons ! I would probably be able to recon this course over the summer, or the week prior.
  • Options
    I'll probably at least be down there spectating and running our club tent.
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander -  Can EN members crash your tent?  :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I"m going to book Atlantic City & have the option to add Waco depending on how my season goes. If it sells out, that is a risk I'm willing to take. If I'm up to it, I hope to join you all racing in Waco!
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander -  Can EN members crash your tent?  :)
    As far as I'm concerned, YES!
  • Options
    Yep I got an early registration for WACO.  Haven't signed up though!  I did Wild Waco West 100 mile bike tour down there, and thought it was great!  Their river trail that connects the campus, was pretty (not on course, did that separate).  It is 2 hours south of me.  I was thinking I could do ALL of the TX events:  Galveston, IMTX, Lubbock & Waco but my daughter's prom is same day as Galveston.  (I don't even think there is that "package")...

Will they have the triwaco triathlon again?  as that would be great training prep for the half.. wondering aloud.
  • Options
    I am signed up for AC 70.3 even though it's 3 weeks after 70.3 WC in South Africa where I will hangout for about a week after that race. It will however be a B/C race and I should be around to help any EN teammates.
  • Options
    Hey @Robert Sabo , awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I am probably going to register within the next couple weeks. Hopefully we get to meet up and say hello! I might have some family fly in from Austin, TX for the weekend.

Awesome that you are racing in South Africa! I have a chance to qualify in Idaho on 6/24, but it would be a stretch, and even if I do, I don't think I'm going to make plans to go in only ~2 months, or plan some sort of refundable trip in the rare event that I do qualify. If the numbers in the coming months and/or this spring/summer suggest there is a chance, I'll shoot for Nice 2019. :)
  • Options
    Yep I got an early registration for WACO.  Haven't signed up though!  I did Wild Waco West 100 mile bike tour down there, and thought it was great!  Their river trail that connects the campus, was pretty (not on course, did that separate).  It is 2 hours south of me.  I was thinking I could do ALL of the TX events:  Galveston, IMTX, Lubbock & Waco but my daughter's prom is same day as Galveston.  (I don't even think there is that "package")...

Will they have the triwaco triathlon again?  as that would be great training prep for the half.. wondering aloud.
    TriWaco (spr/oly) and Waco 70.3 are two different race management companies as far as I know. the RD for TriWaco is a good longtime tri friend of mine, from back when I started.

@ironmarianne, where are you located, if Waco is only 2 hours south of you? I'm in Dallas.
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander , @ironmarianne , Per postings on Slowtwitch by TriWaco, Ironman will bring their own race management team to run Waco 70.3.  

• Options
    Scott:  1.5 hr east of Dallas, right off I20, 45' NW from Tyler.  
  • Options
    I am signed up for WACO, wondering if you think it will be a wetsuit swim?  I would think yes, but just thought I would ask...
  • Options
    I'm guessing late Oct will be wetsuit for sure!
  • Options
    I’m signed up for AC 70.3.  Would love to chat. 
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2017 3:28PM
    @“ironmarianne”: Waco is a well-established race (2017 SMW Regional Championship), and stands to gain additional entrants previewing the town for October. I’m in Lubbock, and hoping to put it on my July schedule. 
    @Scott Alexander: Aging up and planning a “All Texas” 70.3 season in 2019. 

IMAZ is my 2018 ‘A Race.” My Buffalo Springs tri club peeps will all be going to Waco, I will definately be in a 4 week taper, and may not need a final race sim... I’m thinking Coach P might give me the green light.
  • Options
    @ironmarianne and @Paul Hough, I'm sure since this is replacing Austin 70.3, they'll find a spot in the water to make it wetsuit-legal, but it's not guaranteed. It IS Texas after all, and it's been getting - and staying - hotter around here lately!
  • Options
    For the record, IM Waco 2018 sold out in early July 2018. I did not register in time, but it is probably better for my March 2019 marathon goal. :)