Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jeff Horn's Ohio 70.3 Report

This was really an add-on race for me (not really A, B or C) to join a group of 8 friends who were going to this race.  I did this race last year and really liked the venue and was only about 6 1/2 hr drive from me.  Last year 2017 my stats were: 

swim: 00:37:31bike:  02:34:04  run:  02:22:13total:  05:42:34 with 4:54 T1 and 3:52 T2
So here is the recap:

The week prior to race I had some bizarre GI problem.  Sunday through Thursday I barely ate one meal per day if that (<<1000 cal /day).  I had zero appetite.  No fevers, cold symptoms, nausea or vomiting (or problems out the other end), just had no interest in food.  I trained normally and had good quality workouts without suffering from lack of calories.  I was worried a couple days into this that I should shut down training due to stress and possibility of illness (even thought about not doing race), but felt good so kept going.  Finally got a good meal in on Thursday and thought things would turn around.  Drove into town Friday.  Left early to get up there before registration closes.  Was very relaxed since this wasn't an A race and new the site / set up from last year.  I ate extreme hot wings for dinner.  Maybe a mistake, but glad for the results the next day because it got me cleaned out for the race.  Saturday, went for shake out run and ride to make sure all sensors connected and all bike stuff worked ok.  Sunday night drank a bottle of Skratch Hyper hydration (first time doing before a race).
Race day, got up early ate two instant oatmeals (190cal x 2) with lower amounts of fiber.  Also had a couple Aussie bites, a high brew coffee can, then sipped on Skratch until race.  I knew this wasn't going to be wet suit legal, so didn't let that ever be a stressor.  

Swim:  Seeded myself in the 33-35' group.  Lake was foggy, but opted for tinted goggles vs. clear because I knew the sun would be an issue on the return trip of the triangle.  I wore my EN casteli tri suit under my Roka sleeveless tri suit (didn't roll suit down inside).  Swam comfortably at first and tried to pick up the pace.  Sighting was tough due to the fog on the first leg of the swim.  I wasn't overdoing it...kept form in check.  I was "steering" to the left and had to constantly correct line.  By first turn buoy I was feeling slow but had corrected the oversteering (usually due to reachingover midline with right arm).  Was steady on leg 2/3 and first part of 3/3.  By last 3 buoys I was feeling tired and then the waves from a boat disrupted whatever form I had.  Just got it to the beach after that.  When I got out, I didn't expect to see 40' on my watch...I was a bit upset and the negative thoughts tried to creep in.. "well that is a shitty start to the day."  Official time was 40:57...ouch.  Originally I thought the swim must have been long, but Garmin said 2175 so not far off (although we know how accurate a Garmin can be).

T1:  Had a good run up to T1 and was very efficient.  Just took about 20 extra seconds to collect swim leftovers and put into transition bag (split T1 and T2 here).  3:31

Bike:  Got on bike and stuck to my plan.  I was gonna target below 200 w for first 10' then ramp up to 210-220 as I saw fit.  I had a bottle of Skratch in my torpedo up front and then a concentrated bottle with 3 refills to add to water at each aid station along the way.  Plan was for 4 bottles of that, a pack of Skratch gummies and a Skratch bar (because that is what I practiced).  I was cruising along at 24-25mph up the first road when my right elbow pad came off at mile 5... I sat up for some bumps, it stuck to my arm and then flew off behind me at a rapid rate.  At the time I said F*** it, ill be fine, didn't want to stop to find it and lose my momentum (big mistake).  3 minutes later my Skratch chews flew out of my Bento box after a bump...no recovering those.  5 minutes later I heard something hit the pavement near me, looked around but there were no other riders...checked my bike over visually but didn't see anything missing.  Then felt in my castilli kit pocket in the back and my Skratch Bar was gone.  Lovely.  At this point I was hoping for 3 flats in a row, something that would put my day out of its misery.  But then I decided to turn that frown upside down and see if I could salvage something special.  My only real goal for this race was to test nutrition under race circumstances and to run a 2hr half off the bike (I am not a fast runner, but have never been able to do this).  So on goes the bike.  I am meeting my numbers, taking in my Skratch, my stomach is doing very well.  I have not done enough practice on filling my torpedo at aid stations (esp with concentrated bottle in rear).  This slowed me down a bit at each station, but I think was worth it to have the nutrition that I trained with.  By the halfway point of the bike my computer said 1:12 so I began to have some positive thoughts on the day...we just might be able to turn this around.  That is when my right elbow was really feeling the effects of no padding on the aerobars...I could tell it was already badly bruising and swelling.  So I had to lean a bit to my left and put 80% of pressure on left arm...very awkward.  Every bump was transmitted up through the metal elbow rest into my right ulna...fudge.  Last 10 miles of the bike laid off the power just a bit but was still doing 22-23mph and now was looking forward to the run.  Legs were feeling good.  Stomach was great for a change.  In retrospect (mistake) I wish I had gotten some alternate forms of calories at the aid stations and executed a plan B on calories.  Pulled into T2 in 2:27 under great bike conditions.  TSS for ride was undercooked as usual for me at 134, NP 195, VI 1.04.  Could I have gone harder...yup (seems like a theme for me in reports).

T2:  Great T2 for me 2:34

Run:  This is where it always falls apart for me either due to stomach bloat or mental shut down.  My typical half run off the bike turns out to be a majority walking / run combo, usually in the 2:20 range (see last year's time).  As I left transition, for the first time in a LONG time my stomach and legs both felt pretty good.  I usually burn a ton of matches out of the gate due to adrenaline and crowd energy.  NOT TODAY.  I have been running with Stryd since Christmas and have been doing a lot of my runs in the last month off of power, not looking at HR or pace.  At races especially, if I am feeling the least bit fatigue and my HR is up, my brain says "ok time to walk buddy." And I usually comply.  People say don't look at it then...easier said then done.  So I chose a number that would allow me to stay in my "box" for as long as possible.  My goal was less than or equal to 240W for miles 1-3, gradually bring it up 240-250 for next 7 miles, then ok to go over 260W for the remainder.  I also set "hill thresholds" of about 10% allowable, but over that and you are burning matches (similar to my bike power plans).  So leaving transition I didn't overdo it.  Everyone was passing me...I didn't care.  I kept looking to the watch to see my number...it was reassuring.  And something else that NEVER happens in a 70.3...I had to pee really bad.  So mile 1 I had a quick pit stop and then kept trucking.  At every aid station I would walk to put half water / half GE in my flask and then get moving again.  This plan worked well for me as this is a hilly course, but stuck to the numbers.  I didn't look at my pace or HR ONCE.  I also tried to avoid COKE on the run.  I think that my stomach does not do well with high osmolarity solutions and coke is like 11% carb solution at 495 osmolality.  I caved at mile 10 and had a bit.  It tasted good.  I also took a gel at miles 4 and 8.  Once thing i noticed on this race that I've never experienced before is runners coming back to me on the second lap (yes even as slow as I am).  I stayed steady, and caught up to a lot of people I saw putting out big efforts early on.  That was cool to see.  Biggest mistake on the run was that by mixing GE and H20 in my flask I was diluting the sodium.  I didn't bring extra salt, and didn't think anything of it until mile 12 when I began to cramp really bad.  I can't say that I am ever really bothered by cramps, but I had to shuffle and walk a little bit the last mile to overcome it.   Tracker time 2:04:20, but the course was a bit long.  My Garmin said 2:01 13.1 miles, but oh well.  When I examine the file in TP, my first half and second half are almost identical in regards to NP and time.  Although I would love to negative split a run, I am just happy to run period.  

Summary
I finished in very good spirits and my body was in good shape.  I have had too many visits to the med tent this last year after races feeling miserable (Chattanooga recently due to heat and poor intake on the bike).  I think that my hydration issue has been fixed, or is at least on the right track for Wisconsin.  The Skratch really worked well.  This was the first race in a year or more, where I was actively looking for the food tent when I got done racing, and then ate about 3 meals in the next 8 hours on the way home.  I did much better at this race than last year (better conditions this year) by the tune of 24 minutes so Im happy for that.  
I'm going to keep fine tuning the run plan, but I think that the power plan worked for me (mentally and physically).  It was evident in the results that I had a nice even day.  I could be faster in the future not to walk through the aid stations, but what I did worked well.  Despite several mistakes and mishaps, this race was a positive boost for morale.  Lots of good takeaways for upcoming events.  Thanks for reading and feedback.    
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Jeff Horn No such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run. So while the swim and bike weren’t ideal, the run paid you back in full. Interesting to hear how sticking to power and ignoring HR and pace on the run led to a successful execution. An 18 min improvement on the run from last year is huge. I think for a half, it’s ok to run through an aide station here and there if you’re feeling good, but for a full, I think it’s always a good idea to walk for at least 10-15 sec to get your HR down, even if you’re not taking in food or liquids.

Sounds like less than ideal road conditions—that’s a lot of collateral damage (elbow pads and quite a bit of nutrition!) And is this race typically a non-wetsuit legal swim? Congrats on a good finish, sounds like you are on track for Wisconsin.
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn 24 minute improvement given all the challenges you faced and overcame is huge!  Not only physically, but your mental confidence to continue to execute your plan was very impressive!  Glad that the bizarre GI problems of the week prior didn't hold you back from racing!  Agree, it sounds like you've dialed in your nutrition and hydration for IMoo!  Well Done! ... and Good Luck!
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn - Sounds like an overall great race! Congratulations. You overcame a lot on the bike and kept a good attitude, which I'm sure contributed to solid run, at least until the cramps started. A 24 min PR over last year is huge! Well done!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2018 9:47PM
    Jeff Horn - Thanks for this report and thanks for saying hi at the race.  You overcame many challenges and still made improvements vs. last year.  Well done!
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn Loosing an elbow pad is awful. It happened to me this year at Oceanside and I was bruised for a week.

Your bike thru lots at you. Good training for IM. Since you lost nutrition did you go back and calculate how many calories you took in on the bike? Maybe you didn't need as much as you anticipated. Was your Skratch the hyper-hydration mix? 

On the run are you going to experiment with caffeine when the tired brain kicks in? You made it o mile 10 when you said you caved. Caffeine at mile 8 might have helped? Thanks for feedback on Stryd. I'm working my zones as well.

CONGRATULATIONS on all the victories from your race. 
  • Options
    Hey Doc,

Great race, considering the strange lead-up.  Congrats.  You confirmed in Chatt 70.3 that you can seriously swim and bike, and you one-upped the bike here.  Going sub-2:30 on any 70.3 course is legit.  Given your biking prowess, I'm confident you have the engine to run really fast too and put yourself at the pointy end of your AG.  It may just be a matter of technique, frequency, volume, etc.  But if you have the time (I know you're very busy) and interest, you have one of the best run-tri coaches anywhere who would be thrilled to help you take that next step.

Will you be in town for Choo 144.6 in September?  If so, I look forward to catching up.  Congrats again.

Mike
  • Options
    Great Report and Race Jeff! Glad you are almost under your goal of 2hr half. I'm in the same boat. You have me thinking I need to get a Styrd lol.
  • Options
    @maurice matthews I think the mental game of running for me is interesting.  Nothing makes me walk like a HR that is too high.  So I just watched the power number that I know I can handle for long time.  Made for an interesting game on the run to try and stay close to that number.  Pace and HR can be depressing #s for me at the end start of the run LOL.

@Mike Roberts Yes, Ill be here for the full, I look forward to catching up with you as well.  I think running technique will be a big thing for me this year.  Especially when incorporating stryd into the game, I have had some comment that my power #s are particularly high for such a slow pace.  I would guess that I am spending energy moving my body in the wrong plan (up/down) vs. forward.  Will look into this more as the year progresses.

@Sheila Leard I owe a lot of this race success to you with all the forum posts we have traded in the last 6 months.  I certainly am convinced after training and racing with Skratch, that osmolality is a huge factor in how my stomach does during the day.  I used the HYPER the night before to get plasma volume up.  Then I went through 4 bottles of standard concentration Skratch...I think 120 cal / bottle (1.5 scoop per bottle at 80 cal / scoop).  So total of 480 calories and maybe TWO of the gummies before the pack went bye bye.  As far as the caffeine goes, I told myself that I would NOT drink coke on the run (again, high osmolality) to avoid gut trouble.  I waited until almost mile 10.  So I think that my gel at mile 8 should have had some caffeine you are correct.

@ScottListon:  Great running into you as well.  Read your race report, looks like a really great day for you!

@Derrek Sanks thanks a lot.  Would love to get my run up to your level in the near future LOL

@Rory Gumina thanks for the feedback!  Great race at IMLP my friend.

@Alicia Chase thank you!  This race has been wetsuit legal, but I had a feeling this year would be too warm.  I was actually hoping for nonwetsuit because I felt my swimming was doing well.  For some reason it was about 5 min slower than usual.  Not sure the reason.  I think next 70.3 I will avoid as much walking, could save a couple minutes.  Indeed for the full, I like the idea of 20 or so steps to get fluids I need then keep motoring.