Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IM Bike and Run nutrition plan. Looking for thoughts and advice, Please

I'm putting the final touches on hopefully my most detailed IM race plan, but wanted to iso some of my nutrition.  As I have a few days of final trials, I thought I would see if the EN brain trust has anything to add. 

I have struggled with Bike nutrition in my previous races.  I have tried only Infinit, solo GE and even mixing in some solids, all with mixed success.  My last race seem to go well and I had a nice mixture of both.

so...  First 30 min... Likely only water.  No caloric nutrition until I see the HR drop to race expectations or 30 min
Then each hour will need 1000mg + Na and 350 cal across all sources
I  will have a concentrated bottle of Infinit with 170 cal and 500 mg sodium Mix with the water bottle should be 24 oz
Then 24 oz GE with -------------------------------- 180 cal and 600 mg sodium

I know that stopping at SN in not the best, but keep varied liquids really helps me on the back end as I can only tolerate so much GE
So, I will get my second concentrated bottle their.  

If I run into bloating will grab a water add a NUUN tablet and try to reset.  If i feel hungry, add a more GE to tolerate. If it is hot consider NUUN and water.  It has worked in training and I know I will be sweating.  

In the run, I recently changed over feeling and it went well so I think I have a couple of options.  while it is not strictly fluids going in, keep HR down.

At each of the first 10-13 stops, get a 2 oz GE and 1-2 oz water then alternate to every coke and water. 
Add salt tab with water every 2 miles
Gels with water only at 2, 4, then every 5 miles. - 500 calories  with assorted calories from liquids
If hungry gel and water
If cramping banana and water
If really cramping additional salt tab and water

Try not to stop moving as thats when my sweat rates turns on the after burners.

Thanks for reading and offering advice.  My goal is to have the IMMOO race plan up 1 week from today. so I can test final things this week and next for any last little tweaks.

Todd
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Todd Glass you are doing this right by figuring it out in training.   I've learned and evolved quite a bit over the years and will share my thoughts but at the end of the day nutrition is personal and what works for one person won't work for another. 

I've found on the bike that I cannot eat too much.   I focus on keeping it simple (only GE for liquid and limiting solids to known items which include Stroopwaffles that I bring and Clif Bars and bananas on course).   i eat regularly every 30 minutes. I will increase that if I feel hungry still.  I hydrate until I pee regularly (every 90-120 minutes). On the run I am 100% liquid.  I've used gels in the past but now I stick with GE until I switch to Coke/Red Bull which is different every race....sometimes as early as mile 3, but usually by mile 11-12 at the latest.   The only thing I now tailor is salt intake which is based more on conditions so if I'm racing in hot/humid conditions I'll take in salt tabs or BASE salt.
  • Options
    @Todd Glass -- I like the idea of switching between Infinit and GE.  And stopping at both bike and run special needs is a great idea

"First 30 min... Likely only water.  No caloric nutrition until I see the HR drop to race expectations or 30 min" ==> Regarding this, 30 minutes is a big time gap to deprive your body of nutrition.  Is there really a significant difference in HR drop with a water-only approach?

What's your sodium intake before the race starts?  Have you tried something like Skratch Wellness Hydration the day before or morning of the race?

If it's hot, you may need even more than 1,000 mg/hour.  This is totally individual, so hopefully you can experiment by riding on a super-hot day
  • Options
    Your bike and run nutrition plans are fairly close to what I found successful in multiple IMs. Only difference on the bike is I carry a Clif Bar cut into thirds with me, and eat 1/3rd each hour over the first half of the ride. I also pick up a second Infinit in SN. Instead of carrying concentrate, though, I use 32oz bottles (like you see in NFL games), which will hold 420 calories of Infinit each. I also carry a flask of EFS gel, about 4-500 cal worth, and take in about an oz an hour for the first five hours. Finally, I top it all off with GE as needed to sustain enough fluids and a target of 300+ cal/hour(I'm 66 kg). I've found the mix of calorie sources goes down much better than trying to tolerate just one thing over six hours.

On the run, I carry another flask of EFS, but only end up using it @ miles 6, 12, and maybe 16-18. Everything else is water/GE/cola. If I do happen to slow down, than something solid from the buffet can vivify me. But if I'm running at the RPE I plan, then anything solid just doesn't make it down - combination of mouth too dry and tough for me to swallow (which also precludes salt pills.)

But in general, I think you are on the right track. The general strategy is to gradually decrease the calories/hour thru the course of the day, stay liquid as much as possible, and rely on water when extra hydration is needed on the run.
  • Options
    @Todd Glass  Good feedback here.

I'm also wondering if waiting thirty minute to start fueling on the bike is too long. I believe what you are saying is that once you settle down then you will start fueling. 

Have you worked caffeine into the plan? 
  • Options
    All, thanks for the quick replies.  

Perhaps I'll go with getting some liquid and calories in as soon as I feel like I am in my race HR zones.
    @Sheila Leard As far as Caffeine, I have an infinit batch that has a small amount of caffeine that I occ use on the back 1/3 or 1/4 of my long rides.  I am a little nervous about starting it early as I feel like I will need to keep it going through the run.  I usually switch over to coke/redbull during the second half of the marathon.

One question I am having a hard time with is how is everyone getting their sodium down during the run?

If anyone has more thoughts I am open to hearing them.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    @Todd Glass save the caffeine for the run. Redbull can help. Carry Saltstick on the run. SaltStick also has one with caffeine.

• Options
    @Sheila Leard I have used salt stick tabs previously, with out much issue, but tell me what you think of the plan that I will try this week.  
    I have been doing 2 oz of GE at every mile of my long runs.  This will give me roughly 15 cal and 50mg Na/mile.  Running 8 min/mile would give me about 7.5 mile and hour  so 112.5 cal and 375mg Na from liquids alone.  I have been doing a GU every 2 miles during the first 6 miles then every 3 as long as I can ( I have made 17 miles with no issues.)  So for the first 7.5 miles I have just over 400 calories and 500mg Na from gel and liquids.  I will probably need to add about 2 caps per hour for the duration.  My last question for you if you have followed my mess is... Do you think adding the caffeinated salt tabs is a little too much caffeine if I am switching over to coke/red bull when the crash happens or mile 12 which every comes first?

Thanks again all, just trying to make this ironman count.
  • Options
    @Todd Glass The thing about being able to handle the calories during training long runs, and then on race day is the obvious fact that, on race day, your body and GI system is in a very different place after the swim and bike have butchered your insides for 7-8 hours. My own perspective from experience is that GE on the order of what you outline is all I could handle - the extra GU, salt, and caffeine has always been problematic for me. The unfortunate truth is there is only way way to try out an IM nutrition plan, and that has been to do it during an IM. If previous attempts have resulted in nutritional failure, that, sure you need to do something different. But where calories are concerned on the run, I think trying less is better than trying more.