Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

What metrics/screens for the bike computer

Hi All,
Wondering what metrics folks track on their bike computer screens when racing IM.  Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Alan
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Time - Speed - Distance - Watts - HR - %Grade - 20 min NP - Time of day
  • Options
    3 sec power, lap NP, lap time, Lap IF, total time, total NP, speed, total distance
  • Options
    My race page has Time, Distance, Pwr 3s, Pwr 30s, Grade, NP, Lap Power, Heart Rate, Speed, Course Point Distance (distance to next turn). Every one of those plays into my race execution (for example, speed so that I know when I can sit up).

I often load the race as a course to navigate. Then I can see at a glance how far I have to the next turn or section of the course, and I can also switch to the elevation page to see how far is left in the current hill. And in the worst case with a poorly marked route, I will know if I go off course.
  • Options
    I use (two abreast, three rows): HR, 3s Power, % Grade, Lap IF (as a percent of FTP), Cadence, Lap Time. I have the option to show two more metrics at the bottom, generally it will be lap distance and one other.

Notice, I NEVER have speed in front of me, I also do not have totals for the entire bike leg in front of me. I can click over to the, but only rarely. I want to see what I'm doing NOW, and not worry about the big picture so much. I also will manually click into a new lap as the terrain changes, rather than use auto-lap feature. Keeps me aware of the changing dynamics, and doesn;t cloud uphill with downhill data.
  • Options
    HR, 3s Power, Lap Time, Time, LAP IF
  • Options
    below laid out as I had on my Garmin 520 and now on my Elmnt Bolt
           Power (3sec damping)
           NP Lap (reset ever 15')
          Lap time
    HR           Speed
    Cadence   Distance
  • Options
    I am almost the same as @Al Truscott.   I haven't known my final finishing time for an IM since my very first.  It's a good way to force you to stay in your box.