Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Eugene Partridge

My Race :Calgary was selected for a number  of  reasons.
I needed a fast race to work on speed, this is straight forward fast course, this is the 3rd 70.3 race for me this summer  in preparation for S Africa in the fall.  

Improvement: I have needed work on my transitions, which have been too slow and feel I can save many minutes off my over all time.
In the swim, I have been 4-5 minutes slower for 1.2 miles than last summer, so lots of room for improvement, and perhaps find 3-5 minutes of time.
The Bike: in the 70.3 my, goals have always been less than 3 hours, and a goal of 2:45, very attainable based on training.
The Run: I have been around 2:10 all summer, I have run 1:50 in the past and very capable of doing this, these improvement's should help me find podium and continue to make improvements leading to Worlds in early September, "I want to be in the mix.

My early AM wake up was plenty of time to commute to Auburn Bay in Calgary for the fresh water swim.  The water temp was around 67 degrees, which was 10 higher than the air.  I am well trained for swimming and good for age, but for reasons, related to cold air I was shivering, prior to start and had a slow first 600y, I did not find time to warm up and this was a mistake as my start was rather slow.  It took me 600 yards to get my breathing down and develop a good stroke.  I came into transition in 39 minutes, one minute slower than CDA and 5 minutes behind goal of 35 minutes. 

Transition: 7 minutes, in part due for need to use the rest facilities, my goal was 3 minutes and time 7 minutes.   

The Bike:  Calgary is an out  and back "fast course"  Canadian RCMP did a great job with traffic, the roads were smooth, free of debris, the early am ride was almost wind less and cool, Perfect for aero cycle.  My time was 2:45 which is fast for me. At one point my tire fix kit popped out of the bottle carrier, I had to stop and retrieve loosing two minutes and falling back by 50 cyclists at least.  My speed was good and watts better than prior races. so I was in good shape to  make some in roads with run.
I did a good job with hydration, no cramps or physical issues.

T2: 3 minutes "yea", my goal was 3 minutes. 
No issues starting the run.

The run:  As the day progressed temps rose to the low eighties.  Little tree shade and most of run course was in the sun. do not have issues bike to run. so started out well maintain a fast first 8 miles  with less than 10 minutes, per mile. The first 8 miles of this course is flat with down hill mile 2-3 then flat until mile 11-12. then a gentle 1-2 degree grade up hill to finish. 

My Time : 5:45:20, AG: 2nd
No role down available to worlds.

In summary: I found 30 minutes of improvement in the 70.3 mostly on the bike and run.  There is still lots of room for better race execution, which can be found in 4 keys.  Focus Fitness, Nutrition, and rest are keys, to future success or not.  
Now its onto IM S Africa Sept 2nd. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Should be a good shot in the arm for South Africa.

its funny, even though swim is the most technique dependent as distinct from strength dependent, that we seem to slow down more there than bike or run.
  • Options
    On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM Al Truscott <
    teamenforums+d25040-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Al Truscott commented on Eugene Partridge
    >
    > Should be a good shot in the arm for South Africa.
    >
    > its funny, even though swim is the most technique dependent as distinct
    > from strength dependent, that we seem to slow down more there than bike or
    > run.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    > https://endurance
    > nation.vanilla-communities.com/discussion/comment/267411#Comment_267411
    >
    > Check it out
    >
    >