Home General Training Discussions
Options

Power pedal help

Looking for some help here, is there a big difference between Garmin Vector 3 or Power Tap. I have a Garmin 920 but no bike computer at this time so if you have any input on that as well would appreciate the info. Figure Garmin would be easiest to pair with the watch but I don't know these things. Thanks for the help
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I have PowerTap pedals, and a Garmin Fenix3 watch. There is no problem linking up the two - it happens automatically once they are first paired. No experience with the vectors (but I hear they are finicky to zero). I;ve had the PTs for several years, use them routinely on three different bikes (on my trainer, on my TT bike, and on my tandem), and, like PT hubs, they are rock solid, and just work.
  • Options
    I bought one of the very first pairs of the P1s.  They are solid.  Pair seamlessly with my Garmin 520 and my Garmin 935...

I had a couple bugs over the past ~3 yrs and their customer service was top notch.

I got to the point where I trust them enough to sell my SRM crank based powermeter and will run my P1s exclusively...
  • Options
    I've had a few pairs of the Garmin Vectors.  They seem to get some bad press, but I've had minimal issues with mine.  I had one of the very first pairs of v1's, which were problem-free for a few years until one of the pods died.  Garmin customer service was awesome and gave me a really good deal on the pod upgrade kit to upgrade them from v1 to v2 (the only difference between v1 and v2 was the pods).  I still use those on my road bike without problems.  I've had a pair of the v3's for about a year now.  I had a problem with dropouts one time (of course, it was during a local sprint tri).  I called Garmin and they overnighted me a pair of upgraded battery doors and the pedals have been problem-free since then. I think all new v3's shipping now have the upgraded battery doors, so they should be problem-free.  I've never had an issue zero'ing any version of the pedals.  They pair up with my Garmin head units flawlessly (Edge 820 and now an Edge 1030).  The battery life on the v3's seems to be a bit less than the v1/2's but it's super-easy to throw in some new batteries when needed.  Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    John,
    Thank you for your two cents worth, I really appreciate the help. Since I am not a real tech type guy I figured it would be best to just stay with the Garmin since I have the 920 and at some point will have to get a bike computer as well. Thanks again and good luck the rest of your season.
    Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:19 PM
    To: Dave Legg
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Power pedal help

John Katsoudas commented on Power pedal help
    I've had a few pairs of the Garmin Vectors.  They seem to get some bad press, but I've had minimal issues with mine.  I had one of the very first pairs of v1's, which were problem-free for a few years until one of the pods died.  Garmin customer service was awesome and gave me a really good deal on the pod upgrade kit to upgrade them from v1 to v2 (the only difference between v1 and v2 was the pods).  I still use those on my road bike without problems.  I've had a pair of the v3's for about a year now.  I had a problem with dropouts one time (of course, it was during a local sprint tri).  I called Garmin and they overnighted me a pair of upgraded battery doors and the pedals have been problem-free since then. I think all new v3's shipping now have the upgraded battery doors, so they should be problem-free.  I've never had an issue zero'ing any version of the pedals.  They pair up with my Garmin head units flawlessly (Edge 820 and now an Edge 1030).  The battery life on the v3's seems to be a bit less than the v1/2's but it's super-easy to throw in some new batteries when needed.  Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    John,
    Thank you for your help on this, looks like I can not go wrong either way. Suppose now it comes down making the choice when the time comes, hopefully soon. Hope all is well
    Dave

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:38 PM

John Withrow commented on Power pedal help
    I bought one of the very first pairs of the P1s.  They are solid.  Pair seamlessly with my Garmin 520 and my Garmin 935...

I had a couple bugs over the past ~3 yrs and their customer service was top notch.

I got to the point where I trust them enough to sell my SRM crank based powermeter and will run my P1s exclusively...
  • Options
    Al,
    Once again thank you for your input in this matter, I really appreciate your and value your help. Dealing with two huge fires around our house, lots of smoke and are on an evacuation warning for the past five days. Tough to be outside to train so its been inside in Aug which is tough since wee spend so much time inside in the winter. Hope you have no issues around your place. Thanks again and hope all is well
    Dave

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:05 PM

Al Truscott commented on Power pedal help
    I have PowerTap pedals, and a Garmin Fenix3 watch. There is no problem linking up the two - it happens automatically once they are first paired. No experience with the vectors (but I hear they are finicky to zero). I;ve had the PTs for several years, use them routinely on three different bikes (on my trainer, on my TT bike, and on my tandem), and, like PT hubs, they are rock solid, and just work.
  • Options
    Scott,
    Thank you for the direction to the articles, very helpful. Hope your road to recovery is going well. Thanks again
    Dave

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:56 PM

Scott Dinhofer mentioned you in Power pedal help
    @Dave Legg - this is almost a year old, but should answer all questions!
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html
  • Options
    Have had the Vector 2s and they kept getting bumped out of Zero  Then had a screw head shear off and Gorrilla Glued them for my last IM etc.  I now have Vector 3s and .....so far no issues. No Zero procedure although I do notice:

1) Power is now close to Computrainer. My Vector 2 (dual) was ~20-30 W  low...now all my old zones and fit/fatigue graphics are all off and have to get my head around a 30 W FTP bump w/o a change in fitness....
    2) When Vector 3 is moved to new bike or back to old bike...super EZ  just swap the peddles  .... The first ride power is always super high. Seems to be its auto calibration.  So... If I swap them out I now do a 10min spin with a few big gear stomps then let them sit over night before "real Ride" the next day then power seems OK.
    3) Vector 3 watts do seem OK on multiple bikes...no issues with swapping type of bike either

I use a 920 with removable unit that I snap on a mount that rests at wrists just in front of BTA bottle  BTW
  • Options
    Garmin V3 are better looking, but buggier based on my conversations.    Don't forget that Powertap customer service is top notch.  I just had an issue with my VERY used original P1s that are out of warranty and was able to get them replaced for free with a refurbished pair of the newer model.
  • Options
    I've got P1s that I'm currently swapping between my road and tri bikes. I've had some issues before where they needed to be exchanged/replaced by cycleops, but it was quick and painless to do so. I just keep scraping them on roads (bad cornering, I guess) and the metal is "soft", so they get ground down pretty quick if you do that (duh).

Other than that, they've been pretty solid. Only dropouts I've had is when using them on a spin bike at the gym (yep, that's right, I exchange the flat pedals with the p1s at spin classes) with my 910 wrist watch to record. No dropouts outside with my 510 mounted on the handlebars.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2018 3:58PM
    @David Howard the Vector 1/2's were (are) very sensitive to being torqued properly.  When I initially bought my Vector 1's I was seeing some weird data occasionally.  DC Rainmaker pointed out in one of the first reviews of the Vector 1's how sensitive they were to installation torque.  Since then I would install them, torquing to 30 ft-lb, then do a short ride and re-torque them, and haven't had any problems since then.    

Garmin claim that the Vector 3's are not sensitive to installation torque like the 1/2's are, and can be installed with a regular pedal wrench, but I'll err on the side of caution and follow the same installation procedure for the 3's.
  • Options
    Scott, thank you for the direction to the articles which I read and that was some great info. Hope you are on the road to recovery and healing well. Al, once again thank you for your input and w
  • Options
    Ok, I really appreciate all the input from you all and now I have one more question regarding power pedals. Given the price between one sided or two which is the best choice to purchase for your riding improvement? I would assume two but is there that much of difference for the price? 
  • Options

@Dave Legg my advice is to definitely go for dual-sided. In the years that I've been riding the Vector pedals I've hardly ever seen a 50/50 power split. My split varies from 51/49 to as much as 53/47 depending on fatigue, climbing vs. flats, and many other factors. If I were using a single-sided pedal that was just doubling one side, the error that this would introduce would be non-trivial.

• Options

+ 1 on John;s comments...I routinely note 53/47 on my L/R balance. This helped me discover a very significant problem I have with my right patella (ie, not cartilege underneath it), and as I am re-habing it, seeing the numbers go up to 55, 56, helps keep me on track. For the P1s, the price has dropped recently and IMO (I think retail now is in the 700's) the reliability of power tap and the two-sided nature make it worthwhile. Refurbished by PowerTap, $699:

https://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-p1-pedals-reconditioned