Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

TrishM's Steelhead 70.3 Race Report

Steelhead 70.3 Race Report

6:09:37

3/37 AG 55-59

Swim: 47:10 4/37 AG

http://tpks.ws/3SF6TZDIND7EJX3PNFCLJLMRLE

Super sloppy swim. Really difficult to sight buoys and probably had 2-3ft roller waves at the worst bit. LOTS of folks either got pulled in the swim or missed the cut off time. Sure didn't help that it was not WETSUIT legal, so swimming in skin vs wetsuit.  I swam a 36:33 at Mont Tremblant in June and was 16th AG.  Just goes to show how tough the swim was as I placed higher in AG at 10’ slower time. 

T1: 4:02 4/37 AG

Run through the sand (no carpet!) to transition and it is a LONG rectangle to bike mount. I was about 30" faster in 2013. No reason I can't do that again. Just need some more practice. Was really trying to be like @Mike Roberts :D

Bike: 2:48:52 3/37 AG

http://tpks.ws/FHKIO3NXUWWZWE6TNZZCCYN3XE

New course this year, but basically same elevation and rolling terrain.  Roads were in pretty good shape (harsh chip seal was minimal). Nailed all of my process goals. Goal watts, nutrition and sub 2:50 ride time.  I know time goals are a no no, but I knew with my improving bike fitness it was totally possible on a low wind day.  Got frustrated with some dudes who didn't like being passed by a girl, and 2 young women who were the same (and the 20 yo that was totally sucking the wheel of the first girl....grrrrrr) Overall, I probably could have had a better split if I didn't burn a few matches with all the jockeying for clear road. Made the smart  decision to eat more early on the bike (1/2 waffle vs 1/4) due to longer/ rougher than normal swim. Ended up eating 1 3/4 waffles vs 1 1/4, and drank 30oz of EFS PRO for 234c and 254 of waffles. Took 2 caff pills at 90'. Zero stomach issues. Win.

T2: 3:48 3/37 AG

Took the time to get all sand off my feet with the towel to prevent blisters later. Good move. Got all my stuff on and started out trotting to line. Not my fastest but decent

Run: 2:26:38 6/37 AG

http://tpks.ws/WLDO3XUZJROPNCKS5QK7HGDMX4

Goal was to watch hr all damn run to not get myself nauseated. Or blow up. Which in this heat (88 avg temp) meant walking a lot. My cap was 155 to walk. I wanted mid 140"s for first 3 then to pick it up a bit, then up to 160 for last 3. Didn't quite go like that, but I was better at walking than just running through early. Didn't really have the umpf to pick up the hr at the end either. I used my race saver bag all race and was never with out ice. I ate 200c of clif bloks throughout the run. I dropped my salt in the porta pot at mile 1.5ish but a nice woman shared some with me in a baggie. I gave her ice. I think that really helped me as I took a "lick" about 4 times in the race. I took in coke at mile 10 and beyond. Took 2 caff pills about mile 6.5 or 7? Should have taken them earlier, but forgot. Happy to say no gut issues at all. Woo Hoo! It was awesome to have Mariah from EN and Johnny and Sara out at the lollypop to cheer. Always a boost to have your people cheering! Saw Turby, Cath (Turby yelled at me to get running lol) Terese, Mike and Fast Fern on the run. Everyone but Turby was struggling in one way or another. Spent a couple minutes with Mike as he was locked up like a statue from cramps. Could not even walk. Gave him ice and my bio freeze. My right calf was a bit cranky on the second half of the run. Never full on cramp though, so grateful for that. Overall I met all my process goals for my second 13.1 mile run this year and since my foot injury last fall.  Mind the hr cap, don’t go out too hard, stay as cool as possible, and no stomach problems.  I averaged 11:11’s which is SOOOO much slower than my time here five years ago, an the ladies that came in first and second in my division, but it was the best pacing I could do with my fitness  and in the conditions of the race.  

I LOVE racing with Team EN!  It was so fun to meet Cheryl face to face after riding in Zwift and discording this winter.  Always good to meet new peeps and hug up old friends!  This is a "local" race as well, so it was great to race with my local tri family and lots of local tri peeps.  Mad props to @ma@"Mariah Bridges" for being there for us all, and Miss @Br@"Brenda Ross" for organizing our luncheon on Saturday. Sending healing mojo to @la@"Larry Peters" for his nightmare start (and end) of the day race morning injury.  

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Great RR and even better Race.. been meaning to call and congratulate, watched you all day and couldn't help but get the updates from @Al Truscott on Groupme all day as well. Super happy for you in piercing the front of the pack and getting results from all the hard work you do!

Congrats!
  • Options
    @Trish Marshall Congrats on what sounds like a very well executed race in very tough conditions.  I had a friend who did that race and he said it was the worst swim of his life!  I'm not at all surprised with your podium finish.   That's a smokin' bike split!  Way to go girl!

Could you tell me more about your Bio Freeze?  How did you carry that?  Has it helped in the past if things cramp up?  Did it help Mike on the spot?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2018 8:50PM
    @John Withrow  thank you!!! I don't usually have cramps from electrolyte issues, more so pain from long standing issues like periformus or high hamstring stuff.  I've used it mid race for that and it definitely helps.  I use these handy little packets that you can tuck in your jersey.  www.biofreeze.com/biofreeze-classic-pain-relief-on-the-go-singles-16-3ml-gel-packet I buy mine at Meijer locally.

Mike was having electrolyte issues (happens a lot I guess...he is married to our own @Yvette Metz ) and he did tell me it helped a bit, but I don't know how quickly he used it or how long it took to help as I had to get moving.  It's worth a shot and is easy to carry and leave extra in special needs.  

Your friend was right...my very worst swim in competition.  But I sucked less than many others, so there ya go! ;)
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer thank you!  What a blast to read the commentary post race.  Y'all rock!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations on the podium  @Trish Marshall .... you were making lots of race decisions all day. That shows you were trusting yourself. The swim split just confirms how we shouldn't get wrapped up in the time until we know how we placed within our peers. Well done Trish!

• Options

Trish, what a great race! Not letting the swim sour your attitude, moving through transition like a pro, and setting up your run for a good finish on a well-rounded day. Please take all that confidence into KY with you!

• Options

Trish

It was great to finally but a face to the voice I was talking to all winter during long Sat. trainer bike rides. You kicked the courses ass! Very impressive my friend. Remember on days were the weather is beyond our control, it’s how you place not finish time! Can’t wait until we race again together.

❤️

Cheryl

• Options

@Al Truscott , thank you! I will take everything I can into racing KY. Including your voice in my head from Lake Placid T2 going out on the run!

@Cheryl Turpin 💓 Perhaps IMKY 2019 will be it! We shall see!!!

• Options

@Trish Marshall I love that course. Plenty of space on the swim. Nothing technical about the bike. The last push into town can be taxing if it's a windy day. The run is flat. The weather can be a bit of everything. The finish line is super cool. You're going to have a great day!

• Options
    edited August 27, 2018 12:41PM

Man I hope o @Sheila Leard , I've heard great things. Looking forward to our camp weekend. I always do better if I have a chance to see/ride the course before race day. :D