Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Super slow runner asks “how many miles should my longest run be when training for a 140.6?”

Since the training plan is by time, and I average around 12:40 mpm, I don’t get far even on Thursdays with the 2 longer runs. I’m training for IMMD and am nervous I won’t have a long enough run under my belt if I just follow the plan as it is written.  When I did a stand alone marathon years ago I made sure to do a 19mile run beforehand.  Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 🙂
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    In the Wiki, specifically for runners slower than 12:20/mile (VDOT of 31 or less, 5K slower than ~ 30'):

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Long+Run+Modification+for+vDOT+of+31+or+LOWER

There is a link in there to a previous thread on this topic...
  • Options
    @Leslie Schneider To add to the wiki information.  The plans will get you there and yes it would be nice to be running longer but given the time and subsequent downstream effect on training it would be detrimental.  

For reference I did Lake PLace 2017 with a long run of 14.5 miles and the highest weekly total mileage was 23.  I completed a 6 hour marathon with the 2nd half about 7 minutes slower.  There was very little walking outside aid stations and only a few hills to keep the HR in check.  I also crashed my bike and missed a couple weeks including the 2nd race rehearsal, last long run and a couple weeks of swimming due to road rash.

My issues were my weight and trying to avoid injury while upping mileage as best I could.  So a little different situation but as the wiki says get in runs.  I also utilized split runs, and even got in some short stuff to and from work (1mile each way) to supplement where I could earlier in the IM plan.

Know that things will get hard after 16-18 miles but you can still keep running.  Secondly execution becomes even more important as the window for error is smaller. You don't have to be perfect but setting yourself up for a strong run is much harder when you have less mileage.  I extended this throughout the day to include the swim and bike as I was looking at a 14.5 hour at best IM finish time so I was going to be out there for quite awhile.  

Finally I moved the traditional EN mile 18 to mile 20 or 22 prior to the race start.  Again just keep clicking off the miles at your pace race day.  Things will slow you down or there will be curve balls just deal with them as best as you can. 

Below is the link to my race report:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23558/gordon-cherwoniaks-2017-im-lake-placid-race-report-very-long#latest
  • Options
    Thank you both @Al Truscott and @Gordon Cherwoniak. The Wiki and your added advice Gordon are very, very helpful and just what I was looking for.  I appreciate your time since I should have been able to find the info in the wiki myself!  I plan to give a hard look to my plan and make adjustments accordingly.
  • Options

Perfect timing on this thread as I too am a slow runner, just returning from some extended time off form IM and physical activity, and was starting to get worried about my lack of mileage headed into the last 2 months of training from IMFL, but then realized that if I do all of the runs on the plan - all little ones, optional ones and brick ones that typically get overlooked or dropped - as long as it is healthy to do so, then my volume should fall in a good line.   That in addition to the Running RR that is coming up will give us a solid longer distance under our belt.  I am a big believer in consistency now compared to when I entered the haus! 

• Options

Thank you for sharing @Jenniferlyn Kryvicky . I’m one month out and starting to feel better. I have a 15 mile run planned for tomorrow and, if successful, will help me feel more ready. After tomorrow I plan to do exactly what you suggest, all the shorter runs.

Glad you are back in the haus.