Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Kent Gavin's Ironman Wisconsin Race Plan (first 140.6!)

Thanks in advance for reading my race plan.  I'm relatively new to EN and to triathlon (and fitness in general).  I've already made some notes from reading other plans and feedback so will combine that with any other feedback I receive.   I'm looking forward to sucking up as much knowledge, speed and mojo that I can from all of you! 

Narrative:

This is my FIRST 140.6!. I’ve been working up to this race all year and this journey really started less than 3 years ago when I started swimming based on the encouragement of my good friend Jason Brandt. That was just the start of things – and since he’s got me fully into triathlon. Thousands of training hours (and thousands of dollars) later I’m ready to go 140.6 miles and earn the title of Ironman.   I couldn’t have done it without Jason, and I’m excited to race Ironman Wisconsin with him – his home race.

It almost didn’t happen though; less than four months ago (5/12), I broke my clavicle, 3 ribs, bruised my hip bone (hip pointer) and received many other bruises and scrapes in a bike crash. Bike was ok except for the back wheel (oh well, guess that needs to be upgraded), as was the small child who I crashed to avoid running over. Unfortunately, the injury caused me to miss my other big event this year – 70.3 Victoria. I still went to Victoria to have a weekend away with my girlfriend Colleen, support Jason who was also racing Victoria, and to volunteer which was a fun experience and way to give back (hoping to improve my luck/karma!). I had surgery 5/17 to put a large rod through the bone to keep it together while it heals. Thanks to an awesome surgeon (Michael McAdams who is one of the Seahawks orthopedic surgeons), the help from my family, Brandi and the gang at Lakeland Sport and Spine and countless others, I’ve been able to recover and get back to training in time to feel ready for the race. 

I’m so thankful for all the support from my family for this endeavor. As this is my first full ironman, I’m not sure what to expect for race goals. My closest proximity was my one and only 70.3 in Coeur d’Alene which I did in 6 hours flat in 2017. That was a hot race, I was probably over cautious and I wasn’t with EN yet so I know I can go faster.

Despite my recent injury, I feel like I’m in better condition than last year, especially on the bike. I feel like my swimming and running speed have taken a hit post-accident, but my endurance is better than last year. That said, this is all still new to me and I feel like I’ve only just started building the engine.  After doing lots of reading and watching a few videos, I know this is a tough bike course, and any 26 mile run is tough.  I missed a month+ of workouts and had a long ramp up to get back to meaningful workouts (bike, then run, and swim last). Post healing I’ve gotten the key workouts in but not done a lot of the high intensity stuff that would have built additional speed. Much of my plan is based on that of Jason Brant and the fact that I’m trying to get as much thinking done ahead of time so I can just execute and react as needed on race day. My goals are to enjoy the day, complete my 1st ironman, shoot for under 12.5 hours and then try as hard as I can to finish under 12 hours.

RACE DAY Specifics

Think about how great you feel and how great of a race I’ll have today.

3:30 Breakfast coffee, 2 applesauce, 1 protein drink, 1 banana, 1 honeystinger, 1 bottle sports drink. 

4:30 Race Day Outfit:  Sunscreened (don’t forget back!), Tri Kit, Sandals, Light pants and long sleeves for wear before wetsuit and post race (if needed).

• White [Morning Clothes] - Wetsuit, Goggles x 2 (Tinted and Clear), race cap, body glide, chip, 1 gel, headlamp, 4 salt tabs in ziplock
  • 3 bottles of Gatorade Endurance – 1 for Profile Design Aero Bottle, 1 disposable for bike, 1 for pre race
  • 3 Gel, 2 for bike, 1 for pre swim

4:50 Leave Hotel

5:00 transition open

5:30 Body Marking, Check Tires, fill drink bottle, put 2 gel on bike

6:30 transition closes

6:15 Lined up for getting into the water. Seed with the 65 minute athletes.

6:40 Swim Start Begins

Swim (2.4 miles): Plan 1:07 minute swim. Line up early (6:15AM) with 1:05 group as it will be hard to make my way up to the front if I don’t. If possible, find a place to sit down, if not, just tune everything out and be grateful for the opportunity to toe the starting line. Keep HR down.  Plan to swim harder than race effort for first 200-400 yards. I’ll be a little anxious but know that will subside when I slow down and get into my groove. Yes, I’ll get hit…”it is all part of the experience,” just keep making strong progress and maintain form. I will try to find my own space so I can focus on my stroke, but will not panic or get upset if in a crowd.  If my triceps get tight, tough it out – it usually goes away. If not, take 20 seconds to stretch them and swim. Sight every 6-12 strokes depending on my perception of fellow swimmers swimming the right direction and aiming for shortest line swim distances. Remind yourself this is the only place you are significantly using your arms so you can push a little harder than you think, but a great swim isn’t going to make a big difference end of the day. Walk carefully coming out of the water until I’m sure I have my legs underneath me.

T1: Goggles, Cap come off and remain in wetsuit sleeve, find a stripper, jog the helix (take in the energy but don’t overdo it) to T1. Find volunteer, shout out bib number 551, assume I am retrieving my own bag.

Socks, Shoes, Helmet and Glasses. If volunteer assist have them spray / lather sunscreen. Turn on watch (off to conserve battery). Run with bike past mount line. Goal less than 9 minutes (such a big transition area at this race).

Bike (112 miles):  

Once settled, start watch. Focus on getting heart rate down, lots of folks will pass me. JRA (170 watts) to the Top of Valley Road (~mile 19). Drink Right Away! Drink and drink often. Drink until I am about burping Gatorade Endurance back up. 2 bottles before the 1st aid station. Grab 2 bottles and a gel at the aid station. Once past the first aid station steady 180 watts. 

9 Aid Stations: ~18, 28, 38, 55, 61, 70, 80, 95.  Goal will be 1.5-2 bottles of on course per hour and no qualms about peeing while I bike (more if it’s hot). Gel or Bar every 45 minutes (watch will beep). 9 bottles minimum on bike and 8 gels. If hot, should be closer to 12 bottles.

Don’t be intimidated or feel like you don’t belong here. I’ll probably see many of these individuals again. Everyone has their own story, and I am a triathlete.   This is a course with lots of decisions; hills, turns, etc…try to smooth out the power as much as possible. I’m watching 3sec average power and lap power (autolap every 7 miles). Aero the whole way except for steep uphills, turns and aid stations. Anticipate the shifts, sit up on the hills – easy up – gas going down. No surges, no competing with others, let them pass me, eyes glued to road. Shoulders RELAXED! Glutes engaged. Ride the smooth asphalt of main road not the debris strewn shoulder. Take advantage of the draft for 25 seconds as I get passed. Try to find someone perceived a little faster and stay with them. Be defensive and smart around others. Keep heart rate under 145.  Faster spin rather than burnout in a big gear.  Use the whole leg muscle – don’t just push down. Kick, pull, push, down.  If I need a break from the saddle, downshift and peddle out of the saddle for 15-30 seconds.  Focus on the ride, technique, safety, but enjoy the spectacle and energy – especially in town. Don’t worry what those around me are doing. “There is no such thing as a good bike followed by a poor run.” I am going to ride my race. In my head…Everlong: If everything could ever feel this real forever, If anything could ever be this good again, The only thing I'll ever ask of you, You've got to promise not to stop when I say when

Coming back in town mentally prepare for upcoming transition. 

T2: Hand off bike, jog to transition.  Find volunteer, shout out bib number 551, assume I am retrieving my own bag.    Sit down. Dump bag. Bike shoes, socks, helmet and glasses off and into the bag. Decide if I need backup watch, if not back into the bag. Fresh socks, shoes on, race number on, grab ziplock with hat, 12 salt tabs, sunglasses, gel.  If there is a sunscreen volunteer stop because it’s like a 20 second quick massage. Be wicked fast in transition but be safe and stable – don’t twist an ankle or something stupid due to bike legs. Slow even breaths to get heartrate down. Enjoy the fact that your ass is out of the saddle and do a quick neck and back stretch to ensure I’m loose for the run.

Run (26.3 miles):  

Put on hat, sunscreen if needed, sunglasses, take 2 salt tabs and 1 gel. 9:45 /mile for 6 miles. Gels at every other aid station – eat more sooner if I can – harder to eat as you go along. Keep heartrate under 150. After 6 miles, increase the pace to 9:15 but keep heartrate under 160 preparing for the real race that starts at mile 18. At mile 18, put your head down and get it done. Count the number of people you're passing and keep your head in the game. You can do anything for 8 miles! 

4-8 ounces of sports drink every aid station, alternate gels and blocks, add 2 salt tabs every 5 miles. Slow down at aid stations to ensure I stay hydrated and cool if it’s hot. Water / Ice in hat if available. Slow down to drink. Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast.  Maintain pace adjusted for heat but don’t stop.  Be grateful that I am able to do this and have the loving support of my family and friends. Revisit my “one thing” whenever doubts or negative thoughts enter my mind. Listen to my body, but not to the negativity or doubt. “Observatory Hill will try to break you 5.5. 18.5” it’s ok to walk it if needed. In my head: Before the time runs out, There's somewhere to run, Wake up, Run for your life with me, Wake up, Run for your life with me, In another perfect life, In another perfect light, We run, We run, We run (or Dorri: Just keep going, just keep going).

Don’t sprint in the finish chute, enjoy the glory, be emotional, thank the volunteers, and keep an eye out for Jason and his family! Keep walking, get more water in and on me to cool down. Jump in the lake if possible. Find what food is appealing, get the massage unless the line is long. Try to get a message to my family that I’m safe and they can now call me Ironman. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Kudos on a very detailed and well thought out race plan. Couple of things to consider.

Be ready for a chaotic and crowded Monona Terrace on race morning. Navigating the crowds will take extra time. Definitely have a step by step plan of your movements so you aren’t backtracking. It is dark at 5am so head lamp is a good idea. Will you have a pump for the tires? I would carry my pump to transition, labeled with my name, bib # and phone number, pump tires, then drop it off at the lost and found inside Monona Terrace and pick it up on Monday.

Dont forget about SN bag drop off; that will add some time in the morning. Not sure if you will be accessing your bike or run bags on race morning, but that will take extra time as well.

If you can get in the water for a warm up, would encourage you to do that. In prior years we could do that if you got down there early enough. There might also be a team pic to take on race morning before the swim.

As I mentioned to Jason, don’t forget to Mooo loudly at the first turn.

Regarding nutrition, I’ve done 6 of these IMs and still haven’t cracked the code. It is all so very personal in terms of what works and what doesn’t and we have so few opportunities to practice it. What I do know is that at least for me, salt seems to help settle things on the bike and run.

Be careful going down the helix on the bike. Would recommend you give a squeeze to the brakes when mounting just to be sure they work before you head down the helix. You want working brakes heading out of T1 and for the hills later on.

Have fun executing the “three bitches” and especially have fun with the crowds on Timber Lane. It’s like the Tour dé France out there!

• Options

@Kent Gavin This is a super well thought out Race Plan. I'd recommend reading it over and over again internalizing all of it. Being that this is your first Ironman race, don't lose track of the important details (if/when you get punched in the mouth).

The crowds on the 3 bitches will be VERY encouraging. Take in that energyu and smile at them, but ultimately you need to ignore them as they will be encouraging you to go TOO hard. Espeecially on your first Ironman, you need to constantly be reminding yourself that until you get to Mile 18, you need to take EVERY SINGLE opportunity to make your day "easier", not harder. You appear to be a fast swimmer, but remember to relax the entire way and conserve energy. The difference between a 1:05 swim and a 1:08 swim is completely irrelevant to your final time, but if you expend 2x the energy to earn those extra couple minutes it will manifest itself later in the day and you will lose 10+ minutes. Same for the hills on the bike.

You wrote in to sit up if you need a position change. This course will afford you dozens and dozens of opportunities to do that with all of the little rollers. don't be afraid to go to the bullhorns for most/all of them, even if you're still going ~16-17mph. This will allow you to roll over them, but Do NOT spike your power while doing so. Most important thing is to stay focused the entire bike!

It's super easy to carry a few extra gels in your jersey pocket, but not so easy to grab one from a volunteer at ~15mph. So if you want gels on the bike, I'd say just carry a couple extra with you.

The whole goal is to get to Mile 18, then don't slow down!

Final thing, once you can see the Capital on your 2nd lap, you are within ~0.5 mile of becoming an Ironman! Zip up your kit top. Look around, and take it all in! Enjoy the finishers chute and don't be afraid to give a high-5 or two! Even if this costs you ~15 seconds, who cares... The memory of your first finish will be with you forever!

See you in about a week!

• Options

Hey Kent, howdy from Gig Harbor. I'll be racing @ Lake Tapps this Saturday while you are just starting to go crazy from your taper...

First off, I really like the attitude you express with, "I’m trying to get as much thinking done ahead of time so I can just execute and react as needed on race day". That's the whole point of doing this race planing stuff, and it will give you a leg up on 90% of the others out there in Wisconsin. Second, your first two goals (enjoy the day, finish) are spot on. The third...well, one of my favorite Ironman Cliches is "Pay attention to your nutrition and your pace; your time and place will take care of themselves." In other words, don't get married to times, either intermediate or overall. The day is so long and complex that working on process, rather than performance goals, is the best way forward.

One little advantage you'll have: as you know, the terrain in central WI is exactly like we have in the Puget Sound lowlands, glacial moraine hills, steep (6-12%) and short (300' or less). Training here, you should be familiar with how to manage your efforts on the bike course.

Only other comment I have is run nutrition plan. A pace of 9:30-10 min/mile means 6 aid stations an hour. Taking a gel every other one is 300 calories right there, on top of whatever you are taking in as liquids - 6 oz of GE = 45 cal, or another 300 or so/hour. And the faster you go, the quicker the aid stations come! Your GI tract won't be able to handle that, and will rebel, sooner (within an hour) or later (2-3 hours). No matter, believe me, you won't want to go there.

As you've learned, the key to success in an Ironman is setting yourself up for a successful run. You've got the right plans for sure on the bike. When it comes to the marathon, it's a good idea to throw pace as a primary metric out the window. Better to follow HR as both a whip (if it gets into mid-Zone 1) or a rein (if it starts getting above low Zone 2). Another good target is to use the avg HR on the last hour of your bike, and aim to start there, again, not letting your HR go to high. Review the Race Execution pages in the Wiki for detailed advice.

Based on how much you've planned, you'll have the day you want, I'm sure.

• Options

Kent,

I agree with with the everyone above. They all make great points. They are veterans of the sport and they know what the speak of. I don't want you to change anything, if it something you have tried and tested and it works for you. However, I want you to go back if you can and look at your HR during both your bike and run. I know that if my HR gets above 150 early in the run, things are going to go south, fast. Use the HR data you have gathered and make sure that you are always waiting for those last 6-8 miles.

Have a great time and enjoy the race. See you in Madison.

Todd

• Options

You all are amazing. Such helpful feedback. Reserving some time Sunday and Monday to re-review and update my plan. Good ride today with Jason Brandt today. Bikes are dialed in and cleaning them up tomorrow before they get loaded into bike boxes for the flight Thursday. Foo Fighters concert tonight for a Little Rock and roll inspiration! See you soon.