Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Brian Hagan - 2018 IMWI Race Plan

This will be my 5th IM and first Wisconsin.

Background - I really feel weird about this one. I've had a couple of life events really limit my ability to put in the hours that I typically invest in an IM. I started a new position in Chicago which entails working 12 high stress hour days (some longer). It took me a while to adjust and develop a new training regimine. I also commuted back to Michigan on weekends and that ate into more available training hours. In June, I felt a cramp in my right calf at the start of a run and new what it was right away. For the second year in a row, I developed blood clots in my leg. This is very serious, as it could lead to other serious health issues that I'd rather not get into now. I needed to take some time off, so I basically did not get into serious IM prep until 6 weeks ago.

Thankfully, I was able to do an unofficial IMWI camp in Madison 5 weeks out with @Danielle Santucci @Jeremy Behler and a couple of friends from home. @Mark Stahlkopf joined us for the second day. We basically rode the lollipop twice each day and pretty much did the entire course on day 2. I felt horrible on day 2, but with the encouragement of my teammates, I got it done. It was a real confidence boost. We also swam before the ride on day 2 (1+ mile) and ran a portion of the course on day 3.

I also did a couple of 5 hour sessions on Zwift as well as several wkos and workouts. I also got a new bike with Di2 Synchro shift. I've enjoyed several long rides on that and love it! I feel pretty good about my swim and bike, but my run is currently a limiter. It's been almost three months, but about 8 to 10 miles (further each week) into a long run, my legs get inflamed and it just gets hard.

So, success for me is going to be a solid swim and bike. The run, I want to give as much as can without doing any damage to myself. I've been making great progress, but I will only know when I get there.

Stats: FTP Indoor is 255, but I feel like outside it is higher.

Weight: 164 - 9 lbs heavier than IMKY and UMFL.

Run: - IM pace is around 9:30, but I run to HR.

Pre-Race

I plan to arrive Thursday morning and get all of the registration admin out of the way. Friday, I will drive out to Cross Plains and ride the three hills. Friday night team dinner. Saturday morning big breakfast, bike and bag check. Relax all day. Eat and drink Gatorade.

Race Morning:

Wake up 4:00 and eat 2 Vega bars, 2 Naked smoothies

put on on suntan lotion (Bill frog), kit, flip flops, HR monitor, chip

Carry wetsuit, goggles, cap, 2 gels, pump for bike, gatorade

Take one gel 45 minutes before swim and the second about 10 minutes before

Swim - Goal - Assuming wetsuit and nothing crazy 1:10 to 1:15

Line up with 1:10

Start easy and build. Think about pushing as hard as I can without losing form. finish my strokes and keep cadence up but comfortable.

T1

Wetsuit strippers for sure.

Bag will have shoes and arm coolers. Hopefully helmet will be on bike. I prefer to put on shoes as soon as possible, because I cannot run barefoot on concrete. I will put on arm coolers while running to bike.

Bike

I like to use concentrated Infinit. I take a 3 swigs per hour. I will make a 4 hour bottle and have a 2 hour bottle. I will also have ice cold lemon lime GE in my aero bottle and on downtube. So, when I get on the bike, I swig infinit and then begin drinking GE. I want to get three GE in the first hour. Then I switch back and forth between water and warm orange disgusting GE from the course. Also, I want to eat 3 cliff bars from the course before 4:30.

Goal: start at around 180 watts and gradually build. I want to be in the low 200s for the second loop (except for climbs). Whatever time that gets me is what I will take, as i've never been able to execute a bike well. I usually do it the other way around and do not get enough calories. Should be under 6 hours. The more I am, the better I feel.

T2

I will keep shoes on all the way to my bag, since I run better with bike shoes than barefoot. T2 bag will have EN trucker hat, Roka blue sunglasses, and go bag. Go bag will have race belt (with 3 gels), number, socks, shoes and race saver bag. I slip on socks and shoes and go.

Run:

First 3 miles will be limiting HR to Bike avg HR. I will concentrate on form and cadence. I will take a gel at the start, at 30 minutes and 1 hour. I will consume either RedBull, Water, GE rotation at every aid station. I will take gels as often as I can stomach them. I try not think about the finish and stay as much in the moment (box) as I can. I am really looking forward to seeing the crowd support I've heard so much of. I will need every bit of that and EN team mojo.

I can't wait to tell you how it went! 🤣

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

The good news is your racing despite the blood clot issues. Hopefully that is in the rear view mirror and just a maintenance issue going forward. Keep an open mind and stay positive but smart about your run, after all look what Jeremy did. You know the course (I have nothing to add there since I’ve never been on it ) execute with the experience you have and let the day come to you. Your lucky to be racing so enjoy the day.

• Options

I understand 100% about the need to get back on the horse and flow thru that IM mojo. Been there, done that (BTDT?) What I learned in such a situation was I should have left my ambition in my Morning Clothes bag. It would have made the day and its result (a finish, my slowest) so much more positive instead of comparing it to my best prepared self. It sounds like you are ready with that attitude going in...keep it all the way to the end.

you know what do do afterwards...compression, hydration, movement.

• Options

Hey Brian - I know you - you've got this.

Every race is different. This is an excellent race for you to focus on executing and finding free speed. You have tons of experience to call on in this regard.

1. Be earlier than you think you need to be for the swim. IMWI always gets backed up and people are late in the water and that is stress you just don't need. Be early until you can put your feet in the water, then you can take your time.
    2. This is one of the better draft races I've done. You are a strong swimmer, and everyone is piling towards that first turn. get a rhythm, find some space and let the draft help the first half.
    3. Bust your a$$ up the helix, get on your bike and sort everything out after you are rolling forward. These transitions can be long - don't let them be overly long. No reason you cant nail the transitions. I had no shoes on bike - so I put a rubber band around my shoes and carried them in one hand while running my bike to the bike mount. Much better to run barefoot than running with bike shoes on.
    4. After the first bike aid station (was just a few miles out for me), get your watts up a reasonable amount. There is a lot of navigation and everyone JRAs for the first 20 miles if you aren't careful. The lollypop stick into and out of town are areas you should focus and get free passes on people that are not focusing.
    5. Likely to have the wind behind you back into town. You will be so darned happy to finish the second loop that you may feel yourself taking the foot off the gas. just keep your steady push.
    6. First time up observatory hill - just promise yourself that you want to run it the second time. Second time up - think about how awesome the finish is at this race!

There are probably a million other thoughts - the point is that this is a course that rewards smart racing and punishes overachieving and losing focus. If you stay in your box and focus on what is most important "right now," you will have a great race!

And just think - while you are suffering - I will be eating a scone and talking smack about you!

R

• Options

Looking forward to following you on race day. You have lots of experience and you know how to execute. I would be careful about increasing your watts on the second loop of the bike unless you feel really good. Don't make the run even harder than it is.

Enjoy the day and have fun!

• Options

You have the right mindset for this race. That schedule change and ailment would have completely sidelined most other athletes. Once you get into a groove on the swim your experience will take over. Heck, you're probably still carrying tons of fitness from UMFL

"I want to be in the low 200s for the second loop" ... Adding to Tim's point: even if you held steady at 180 all day you'll still pass a ton of people that second loop; maybe make it a game to see how low you can keep the HR

• Options

Hard to find something those above have not already touched on. All of us racing need to ride smart and focused in order to have a great run. An extra 5 watts over the last 2-3 hours of the bike will definitely have an effect on the run.

You have the experience and the base miles. Use them to your advantage and have a great race.

See you there.

• Options

@Brian Hagan I am looking forward to sending you good juju allll the way home from Louisville Sunday! You have the experience of the bike course on your fabulous new ride (omg LOVE the Di2!!!) , the strength of your swim and the smarts for your run. I KNOW you will respect your body and the course. Just do what you do....use that big brain that got you your promotion all day long and have a little fun sharing the day with the FB folks and your EN family!!!

• Options

@Brian Hagan I don’t have much to add over what the others have said. You are experienced and have deep fitness. You’ll need to be Uber smart and call upon both of those throughout the day! See you in a few days!

• Options

@Brian Hagan

After following you at UMFL , there is no doubt you have the mind set to be smart.

Lionel Sanders recently said, (para-phrasing) "give it what you've got , you never know if it's your last race." That's not meant to sound morose but more out of gratefulness that we get to do this. Have a great race!

• Options

@Brian Hagan two things to add/suggest on top of already good feedback.

1 - I would walk observatory....don't start until the second storm grate and walk to the top. It only costs a few seconds and it's the steepest part. I did that both laps the year I qualified and it's a good motivator to run the first section which is not as steep

2 - have you proven the Red Bull/Water/GE approach on the run? For me, once I start with the jet fuel (RB or coke) I have to keep it going at each aid station. Not sure if it is the caffeine or the Fructose/Sucrose but I need to keep the dial high once it rises. You may want to try that...I had to start RB on the bike in Kona and continued this for the entire marathon and it worked well.

See you in a couple days!

• Options

oh...and I will bring a box of twinkies to throw at you if I see you deviating from your plan!

• Options

@tim cronk - I paused on your comment "you are lucky to be racing". That is so true. I've never had a "one thing", but that may be it!

@Al Truscott - So true! Will do!

@Rich Stanbaugh - Thanks! Great points. Enjoy the scone and double espresso! I will be thinking of you guys as I run up the helix!

@Tim Sullivan & @Paul Curtin - Good points. I think what I meant is I don't want to go from hero to zero. As long as I am pedaling comfortably at a 90 cadence on the second loop I should be good. So if it's 180 and I'm passing people, then it will be my best! I usually under fuel and find myself coasting too much on the second half. I would love to have a low VI with only coasting when I am spun out. I will have a sub compact with an 11/28 cassette.

@Todd Glass - Yes. I seem to remember @Ian Kurth explaining how many people ride this course "stupid". Will hold back to protect the run.

@Trish Marshall - Very nice of you to say!

@John Withrow - I've been looking forward to meeting you. See you Friday!

@Sheila Leard - Yes! Kind of what @tim cronk said. I can't wait to race smart and give it everything I have at the 18 mile mark of the run.

@Jeremy Behler - Thanks for the tip on Observatory hill! FYI.. I respond bad to coke (quick high quick crash), but great to Red Bull. It seems to be a more steady boost. I just rotate, because I assume I get sodium from GE and water from water. Red Bull was a real boost during UM. I will do my best to avoid Twinkie bombing!

• Options

nothing to add here, you have the experience and mental discipline to do this in a way that you will feel good about without doing any longer term damage to yourself, remember to smile. When it hurts the most, you are out there doing what others cannot.

• Options

Best of Luck @Brian Hagan You have the expeerience now just execute and enjoy the day. Will be sending you some Spartan power! Go Green!

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 11:31PM

@Brian Hagan glad that RB is on your to use list !

You did an UM, you know how to dig deep when things will go bad, always keep in mind that huge we did in the big sun, not covered etc, this "marathon" cant beat you.

Will track you little BAMF !

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 11:31PM

• Options

@Francis Picard - RB has wings! I will miss the cold brew. One thing you taught me at UM is that I can eat a lot, even if I am not hungry. I am hoping this will lead to my best executed bike split.

@Daniel Ballin go White! Thanks!

@scott dinhofer - Will miss having you at this one. I may have to join you next year!

• Options

@Brian Hagan

As a veteran and Ultraman you have a polished ability to go by RPE for this event. Don't let expectations, or any other distractions overrule what the moment at hand is communicating in terms of what RPE says. I think this one quality, aligned with patience and discipline, over the course of a long day that will be your best strategy. What do I need right now? What am I feeling, doing or not doing at this moment to to make the most of the vehicle I have on this day to cover 140.6 miles?

Can't wait to watch you take care of business on Sunday! May the force be with you!

SS