Homeโ€บ Announcements ๐ŸŽ™
Options

Adding a half marathon in the Outseason.....

Currently started the 6 week bike focus, then will switch to the run focus up until the Outseason starts. But how do I incorporate a half marathon around the first of December while base training with the Outseason program? Just need some direction. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

This may not be a fully satisfactory answer, but...if you race day timing is flexible, then ideal is to schedule it as the "graduation" of the OutSeason, meaning at the end of the out season. See this wiki page for details:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Half+Marathon%3a+Modifying+the+OS+Plan

If you have a specific date in mind for the HM, that's a little more problematic, and there is no one-size-fits-all. This wiki page may give you a little more guidance:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Half+Marathon+Training+Guidance

• Options

I will give my personnal answer, which might go the opposite way. I would use it as a test to see where your fitness stands.

Depending on which OS you are doing, bike or run focus ? I will then have a clear picture or where my run fitness level stands and adjust from there.

But again, this is my opinion.

• Options

The OS can be great prep for a half marathon, and I've run a half PR during OS with minimal taper. The biggest concern I would have is the length of your long runs, since the OS long runs build week by week and you'll only be five weeks in by then. If you have an aggressive goal for the half, you should look at how your weekly long runs will build starting now so that you can get in several runs in the 10-14 mile range. If your goal is more to finish, the OS long runs alone will probably work (the advanced OS week 4 long run is already 80 minutes).

For the week of, I would add a mini taper depending on your race goals, cutting back on volume (not intensity) starting around Tuesday if you have a more aggressive goal, and later in the week otherwise. If week 5 is a testing week again, I would skip the Wednesday run test and use the half marathon as your run test as Francis suggested.

• Options

I'm actually looking at doing a half marathon in December instead of in February towards the end of the outseason. I was also looking at doing a marathon in late December instead but I don't want to affect the outseason training. Next race won't be until May in Chattanooga for the 70.3. It's hard to setup a race schedule due to work schedule and the distances to get to those races I would love to do. Thanks for the advice everyone.