Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

IM 70.3 Port Elizabeth S Africa Post race thooughts

My goals can be seen in Pre Race Plans

Overall time 6:19:24

Place: 30/49

Place by Gender: 2,232 out of 2,338

I did not meet goals by a long shot, The best I can say is that I went out and did my best

Since this was a sub par performance for me I can say that there were several factors that contributed, to my performance.

36 hours of travel did take a toll on me, and despite my best effort I did underestimate how bad jet lag affected me.

I developed a urinary tract infection leading up to the race day, I did see a doctor and was on antibiotics, too late to make me feel better. This issue related to Prostate issues, which is not uncommon in older men on the cycle and saddle.

My swim was OK 36 minutes and some seconds, and went into transition feeling good about my self.

My transitions were both for T1 & T2 in the 5 minute range. My goals have been for 3 minutes or less. so still need to do better

The Cycle: 3:18:44. I was 2:45 on a fast course in Calgary. so was surprised at my slow time, I did not do well on the climbs and rough road conditions, Due to water on the down hill would come out of aero and would lose critical gain time. I believe I was fatigued as well and could not generate that watts I feel I needed.

The Run: This usually my strength, but on this day I was slow and despite my best efforts was disappointed with my time. I am currently hampered by a mild Achilles tendinitis, As coach Patrick has said main thing to do is rest it.

Not meaning to be a "downer". I have already had my pity party, and am moving on.

Next up Prep for IM AZ. Heal, sleep, and eat some good S African food, go on a few Safari's and jump into Long course training plan next week.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@EugenePartridge You got to experience a World Championship in South Africa racing in a deep field. The more we race the easier it is to move on when it doesn't go as planned. I think it keeps the competitive juices alive. Savor the experience, the medal, the venue....and a Safari!!

Get well and recover.

• Options

@EugenePartridge - I was a good half hour off what I thought was well within reach for me at South Africa so don't feel bad. I have two excuses but they are neither here nor there since I had a great time otherwise and picked up my 4th 70.3 WC medal. I did an easy 2 hour recovery ride this morning and will spin up this weekend to get ready for Ironman Florida. So I'm with you on that prep. Let's do it!!

• Options
    @PaulHough, thanks for encouraging words, we are flying out Saturday,
    pretty much have allowed my self to rest up but have gone on 10 k walks.
    Yes! Am thinkinking ahead to IM AZ. Will follow you inFlorida, best of luck
    there.
  • Options

You were there, it was the World Championships, so toeing the line is a victory all by itself.

I've found the benefits of being on site for a LONG time before a key event makes a big difference - as much as 12 days has helped me. Over that, I haven't seen a benefit. I can only imagine going literally to the other side of the globe...

My condolences on the UTI. I dealt with a similar issue this summer, and it took a big chunk out of both racing and training (3-4 weeks). Heal, recover, and prep fo IM AZ...

• Options

Thanks to Al and Paul for the kind words of encouragement. Yes I had a 24 hour pity party, but have moved on. No time to shrink away as I have IMAZ Ahead. I agree 30 minutes off my predicted ought to do time is about right, I also had some health issues.

Al, your point on being on sight early is poignant, and I totally agree.

I am very appreciative to have your input.

I am proud to finish and compete in my 3rd 70.3 worlds, not withstanding seeing Africa

• Options

@EugenePartridge - I'm one ahead of you! I need to get spanked at one more 70.3 WC to feel complete and have 5 medals. I'm expecting the announcement for Taupo 2020 by the end of this month. I hear the date will shift to Dec for that race and will try to qualify if it is then. Otherwise, I'll save Taupo for IM New Zealand when I age up to M65.

• Options

@Paul Hough Are you thinking IM New Zealand in 2020. It's on my radar!

@eugene partridge What do you think?

• Options

@Sheila Leard - Nope. I'm talking about IM70.3 WC 2020 in Taupo if they are selected to host. Finalists for 2020 are Taupo and Perth. If they award to Taupo (and a little birdy told me they will), then yeah, I intend to go if I can get in. I'll book rooms first then find a late qualifier or two where they are tossing slots out. :) Locals say the water is too cold to swim in Sep and the race will be in Dec similar to the Taupo 70.3 (Dec 8, 2018).

BUT, if I don't qualify OR they award to Perth, then I intend to do IM New Zealand in March 2022. So either way, I'm going to Taupo. It would just be easier if I only have to do the 70.3.

• Options

@Paul Hough

Got it. So the 70.3 would be late 2020 in Taupo. You'l get in. ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

• Options

@Paul Hough I am going to IM Lake Placid next summer, everything builds around that race. I have not considered New Zealand but will check out dates, and what ever family issues arise next summer. I've just jumped into IM AZ training this week, everything is longer. If its 2020, that is much more doable!.