Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jeremy's Kona Race Plan

Ten days out from the race and after contemplating a number of approaches I think I've settled into a base plan that I'll execute until conditions dictate otherwise.

As most of you know, I entered Lake Placid on below average training but managed to have a PR effort on a very challenging course. I clearly underestimated the benefit from many years of accumulated training and racing at the pointy end of the curve for the past five years. I feel like I'm pushing this 'minimalist' approach further than I would like and Kona is not the place to test it. That's not to say I'm massively undertrained...my CTL is in the 115 range now and peaked in the low 120s a few weeks ago (10 points lower than my peak prior to Lake Placid). I feel much better about my run as I did an 18 miler two weeks ago which was 2 more miles than my longest run leading up to Lake Placid. My bike and swim have dropped off though. I had a couple big weeks of biking in late Aug/early Sept but I haven't done a single ride over 100 miles in 5 weeks. I intended to do 110 in Maryland last weekend but broke a spoke on my road bike at mile 80 and didn't have a backup. But I probably put 40 miles on the loaner 3 speed Peugeot that I used to sherpa on race day! And I've only swam once per week averaging 3500 yards for the last month. I'm not to worried about the biking as I think I'll have a lot of carryover fitness. I am ramping up my swimming this week and I'm a pretty good swimmer so again, not too worried.

At first I thought I'd focus on putting in a decent performance and having fun with since I had a solid race in 2016 and didn't appreciate it as much as I should. But then I thought...Kona is NEVER fun. And by slowing it down you are hurting longer. And I'm coming off a PR performance 6 weeks ago. And I don't have the ability to turn off the competitive drive.

I leave on Tuesday morning. Until then I'm going to shoot for 10K swimming this week, a long run of 14-16 miles, and a 60-75 mile bike this weekend. Bike and Run will all be at IM pacing. I arrive on Tuesday afternoon. Once I'm settled into the condo will do a short 3-4 mile run to shake off some jet lag and begin acclimatizing. Staying at a condo right across from Huggo's so right in the heart of everything. Wednesday morning is a Stryd run so will get in a couple more miles. Later that morning is a Ventum ride so I'll get a chance to make sure everything on my bike is working smoothly. Depending on the day may try to swim that afternoon or just punt that until Thursday morning before the underpants run. Afternoons will be spent soaking up rays and enjoying the island vibe.

Team breakfast on Friday at Ihop. Will do a lunch of chicken and rice, followed by a dinner of pasta....same as 2016.

Saturday my pre race routing will be same as always....a couple Naked Smoothies at 3AM. Wake around 5. Walk to body marking. Team pick in front of King Kam. Sipping Gatorade all morning. Gel 30 minutes before the cannon. Likely a very short warmup in the water. Line up left center and 4-5 people back. Will swim hard, but if/when I feel my form slipping I'll back off a bit. I'm thinking a 1:01-1:03 swim is likely. T1 is pretty simple...only difference is making sure I rinse the salt water off sufficiently.

On the bike I'll be focused on getting my HR down and starting nutrition/hydration early. The first 10 miles are a total shit show of overzealous type A triathletes hammering along municipal roads. I'll be keeping hyper aware and trying to stay out of any chaos. Once on the Queen K my bike ride will start. I have had good experience upping my calorie in take on the bike and will continue that in Kona. I'll take in ~150 calories each our of solid food (Stroopwaffles, bananas, and Clif Bars). I'll drink GE liberally and only stop when I am too full. I'm targeting 220 watts which is consistent with my IMLP power and about 20 watts higher than Kona 2016. I was hyper worried about drafting last time, especially in the huge peloton that is unavoidable when you have 1000 participants all starting together with the same general level of fitness. I'n not going to worry about that as much. I won't intentionally draft but I won't go hard off the gas if I get caught up in a massive group like I did last time. Once the turn to Hawi is reached things should spread out enough to allow me to race my race with fewer interruptions. Goal will be staying aero which may be my biggest challenge given my lack of saddle time. Once I get to the airport I'll dial back the watts a bit and switch to liquid nutrition only.

The run....in all IMs it is about the run. Kona just takes that truth and amplifies it fourfold. I proved that I can run well in Kona. Not once in an IM have I every thought about quitting, or even walking, and this won't be any different. I'm going to run with HR as my primary metric...targeting 142-145. This usually has me running slightly above target pace early on but again, I've proven that I can do this without slowing down significantly. Lots of ice to cool my body, and initially 2 cups of GE every aid station. I usually have a target for when I switch to Coke/Red Bull but that never works out. In Kona 2016 it happened on the bike! In Lake Placid it happened around mile 6. I will certainly start by Palani Hill but maybe earlier if the situation dictates. Focus on having fun and engaging with spectators along Ali'i as I remember how desolate and boring things get once on the Queen K. I'll jog up Palani Hill (no walking unless HR spikes above 150 for an extended time). Find runners to serve as windbreaks or carrots along Queen K. Energy Lab was rock bottom for me in 2016 and I suspect the location (mile 16-18) along with the conditions will create the same dynamic this year. I'll reach for the same reminder that I have earned the pleasure of this pain and that pain is temporary and there are thousands of other triathletes that would love to have the opportunity to experience this pain. Embrace the suck to the core. Once I'm back on the Queen K it's just a matter of getting to where I can see the Palani Stoplights...from there I know I'm close and can get home with whatever is left in the tanks. I was a total mess and completely wiped in 2016 and my finishing pictures showed it. I want to be more photogenic this year :)

So what are my goals? I would like to beat my time of 9:54 from 2016. I'd like to finish better than top 50 (20%) of my AG as I did in 2016. But ultimately I want to know I raced the best race I could. New territory for me in a few ways. First time with 2 IMs in one year. Low training volume in the 5 weeks leading up to the race. Only 3 days to acclimate prior to the race. But I have the momentum of a solid race just 10 weeks ago and knowing there is a great group of teammates also on the course pushing me. @Donnacha Holmes has to be the oddsmaker's favorite right now but @matt limbert and @Coach Patrick are both not far behind. On paper they are all faster than me which is a great motivator. And @Dave Tallo has been to Kona 4-5 times and is due to crack the code. Look forward to racing with those rabbits and sharing the course with first timers @Derrek Sanks and @Paul Curtin .

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

"At first I thought I'd focus on putting in a decent performance and having fun with since I had a solid race in 2016 and didn't appreciate it as much as I should. But then I thought...Kona is NEVER fun. And by slowing it down you are hurting longer." 

Yeah! Totally agree and If you would have just said you were going to enjoy the day I would have called you a liar because I know full well that you do not have that in you...

"I'll reach for the same reminder that I have earned the pleasure of this pain and that pain is temporary and there are thousands of other triathletes that would love to have the opportunity to experience this pain. Embrace the suck to the core."

You might have to tell yourself this more than once or maybe more than a hundred times. But it will ring true for the entire day!

"I want to be more photogenic this year :)"

Not a chance with your ugly mug...

In all seriousness, you have been an EN Super Sherpa all year! And have been a motivator, educator, coach, and inspiration and overall great friend to many many of us inside da Haus. Enjoy this race. Here's hoping Madame Pele repays some of that good karma that you most certainly deserve coming back your way. Good Skill to you Brotha! Mahalo!

• Options
    I don’t have the ability to turn off the competitive drive! It’s my pain,
    I earned it! Good Skill!
  • Options

No doubt a solid plan as you know what you are doing! My only advice is don't give that look I gave you this weekend, you're way better than that!! I'll be tracking!

• Options

The nice thing about going there for a second time is that you know what you might expect, so you know what to do better and keep doing.

looking fwd to track you ! good luck and enjoy your time in the sun!

• Options

Congrats again and have a terrific time!

• Options
    Love it Brobeans! You are not only ready, you have the mental edge as well.
    A great prior race and great fitness as well. You were made to race in
    these conditions, and your experience will make it easier to make smart
    decisions.

My only caution is that expectations are shit there. Wind heat
    competition...different every year. You CAN deal with anything that comes
    up, and you WILL. If you get caught in the game of thinking "X happens
    here" then you'll have some recovering to do.

I am beyond thrilled to be racing with you on the biggest stage in our
    sport. You are a fierce competitor and even better friend, it's going to
    S.U.C.K. but man are we going to have some stories to share!

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Jeremy Behler

This is gonna be so much fun. I'm the last person you should take advice from about Kona. You race with a much better frame of mind than I do. The crowds in the swim, and the massive draft-fest on the K, don't bother you like I let them bother me. I just chalk it up to yet another thing you're better than me at (at least I have you easily in the looks department). Some of your "high" points from Kona '16 were some of my low points from last year, and vice versa. Which is probably why your time-oriented goals may be meaningless: you won't know what the swells, wind and heat will be like on race day until you're neck-deep. If conditions are especially tough, a 10:20 could put you in the top 40 of your AG. On an "easy" day, you may smash your PR. So, I would just trust your fitness, follow your processes that can deal with whatever the day throws at you, and enjoy it. There will be plenty of red on the course to chase, run from and high-five. And, of course, I'll be on the sidelines with my blender . . . in case of emergency.

MR

• Options
    edited October 4, 2018 3:50PM

Hey Jeremy - I pulled this together from Training Peaks files that were published. What I am calling Out & Back is to the top of Hawi. The ratio to the power out and power back is interesting. Probably the lighter folks can tolerate the heat better/longer and are able to push a flatter intensity ride... Interesting to see how these are the same and how they are different.

Sanders had a push in the second half of the bike in 2017 to rejoin the leaders that he was pretty critical of afterwards... I expect that you'll see him closer to the 0.88 ratio again this year.

Just food for though!

Can't wait to cheer you on again this year!!

• Options

@Jeremy Behler@JeremyBehler I've been watching you race and riding with you for 8 years now. You've got all the knowledge, skills, smarts, and experience you'll ever need to have a superb showing. Let it flow like lava...

• Options

Looking forward to tracking you as I reach for my "sit on my butt" PR in Louisville. ;)

Nothing to add...just go do what you do. Your explanation of how awesome it was to see @Teri Cashmore lay it all out there in Ragnar this year speaks to your drive on race day. You have the exact same capability as she does.

Looking forward to seeing it all unfold, till I have to go to bed!!! ;)

• Options

You clearly already appreciate Kona @Jeremy Behler , and your "fun" is competing with the best in our sport, and it shows! Your Plan is solid and you know you have plenty of fitness and mental toughness to race it ... and PLENTY of EN Mojo around you and Tracking you! Bon Chance! Enjoy!