Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Ed Croucher's 2018 IMMD Race Report

This race was kind of unique for me. It was my second Ironman this year. I have done a double once before but I felt completely different for this race. I had a very good 8 week training build leading into this race and arrived feeling ready to race!

Unlike my previous races, on race morning I told my wife Elaine to sleep in. I made my everyday smoothie, drank a cup of coffee and drank a Scratch Labs hyper-hydration. I collected my swim bag, bike shoes, and bottles of fuel and headed out to the site. As I stepped out of my rental, I saw two familiar people also walking to transition. It was @Jeremy Behler & @Danielle Santucci . What a boost to my morning. Once at the bike rack, I filled my tires and loaded my bottles. I started my computer and woke my power meter. That was when I remembered I had not changed the batteries for it. Well, I was able to calibrate the power meter so; it was as good as it would be. I walked through the bike racks and planned my path for after the swim. I looked at the swim exit and then walked over to the swim start. After I pulled on my wetsuit, I saw @Carol DeFazio and @Jeff Kane. We talked and then it was show time.

I lined up around the 1:05:00 mark and had a goal of 1:10:00. Once in the water I started easy and tried to build. I had almost zero contact through the swim. I tried to focus on my form and my cadence. I was warm but I wasn’t uncomfortable. As I made the third turn, I started to feel that my wetsuit was rubbing into my neck. The salty water started to sting. I never felt any downstream current that was advertised. As I finished the second loop, I started thinking about my transition. I never saw my swim time until the race was over. My time was 1:18:36. Not my best effort. When I looked at IM Tracker, I finished the swim in 18th place in my AG.

I got out of the water and ran to the strippers. I pointed at the last group and was working to get my sleeves off. I got a little stuck at this point but it only cost me a second or two. The remainder of the suit came off and I was up and heading for my bike bag. My wife was standing outside the fence calling my name. I gave her a quick high five and took the energy on. A volunteer handed me my bag. I pulled my helmet out and put it on my head as I walked into the changing tent. I stuffed a bunch of my suit back into my bag dropped it by a volunteer and ran out of the tent. I jogged to my bike, and jogged to the mount line. Right before I pedaled off, a volunteer was yelling “Endurance Nation.” There were no other team mates with me so I looked back. A bottle of fuel had fallen off my bike. They quickly stuffed it into my rack and I was moving. My T-1 time was 3:10 and fastest in my age group. When I crossed the start line, I was in 12th place.

I had never done a bike mount with my shoes already attached so this was really fun. I got pedaling and got my feet into my shoes. I would not have tried that at IMLP. My bike ride went fairly well. I tried to keep my watts steady at 165 to 170. As I started, I seemed to have some issues getting my power up. My heart rate was in the low 140’s for the first 15 miles. That was higher than I wanted but I felt good and was sure it would come down. By mile 20, my heart rate was where I wanted it in the mid 130’s but my power was not right. Lap 3 had my normal power at 199W. After that, my power was dropping. Even though my power was dropping, my speed and heart rate were staying constant. I was pretty sure the power meter was not accurate. The wind picked up quite a bit on the second lap. As I was riding, I noticed a shadow off my back wheel. I was being drafted. Several times, those riders would pass me but they couldn’t keep the pace into the wind. I was still keeping my steady pace and I would just ride passed them. When I reached MD-16 and started riding back towards Cambridge I had an exciting sighting. In the aerobars, I didn’t see any eagles but I did see a 5 foot king snake crawling on the shoulder of the road. That was cool and I thought of Tim Cronk. Sorry, I could not take a photo. I had hoped to keep my speed up over 21 mph for the entire ride but the headwind on the second lap cut that by a fraction. During the ride, I stood up and stretched a bunch. This really helped me feel good. So, I finished the bike in 7th place in my age group, I drank 6 bottles of fuel and felt good.

At T-2, I jumped off my bike right at the line and ran to rack it. I took off my helmet and hung it on my bike and ran to my run bag. I entered the tent and @Jeff Kane was just sitting down too. I put on my neck gator and hat. I wiped my feet, put on my shoes grabbed my go bag and left. T-2 was 4:34 and 3rd best in my age group. I was a little slow getting my shoes on but I moved up to 5th place.

The run was where everything really good happened for me. As I ran out of transition, I heard Carol yell my name I looked and saw her smiling face. I was feeling better than I had ever felt for a run start. When I got out onto the road I saw Jeremy. I was feeling good but I had no idea what position I was in. I did a few twisty steps to loosen up. I checked my heart rate and it was 135 bpm. That was right where my bike heart rate had been and that was great! After a mile I did not want to hold back. As I ran out on the first loop, I saw my wife and got another high five. I had pushed my pace up and allowed my heart rate to get to 140 bpm. When I got through mile 5, I saw Jeremy. He had some words of encouragement and I tried to keep my pace high. I saw my wife again at mile 8 and all she got was a smile. My heart rate was still under control. But I was working. Through 12 miles I was holding an 8:30/mile pace. That pace was getting harder each mile. I was starting to have problems taking in calories. At mile 13, I was told I had moved to 4 the place but 3rd place was running the same pace as me. From mile 13 to 18, my pace slowed and my heart rate began to drop. I kept trying to drink fuel but it was harder and harder. Mile 19 is the second pass through the transition zone and across the grass. I found that very difficult. Mile 20 is the second pass through the cobble stones. That was awful. My legs and feet hurt. My stride was falling apart. After I made the turn around, I was told 3rd place was 500 feet in front of me. That changed everything. I didn’t know what I should do. Should I just trail him and try to beat him at the finish. I came to race. If he was better than me, he was going to have to prove it. I recognized the runner. He was Ed Vescovi and I had never beaten him. Well, I passed him right when we turned into the Great Marsh park. I never looked back. When I got to the turnaround at mile 23, I saw him again. I had added almost a quarter mile of distance between us. I ran passed him and skipped the next aid station. When I turned the corner, I was told I still had to make up some time. Ed had started 4 minutes behind me at the swim. Mile 24 was an 8:39 mile! I got through the Great Marsh Park and up the cobbles. Jeremy saw me again and said just don’t walk. A 9:19 mile was all I had left for mile 25 & 26. When I got to the bottom of the cobbles, I saw Ed just turning onto them. I finished the Marathon with a time of 3:51:55, my fastest ever!

I had a lot of help leading into this race. I had guidance from @Coach Patrick for the build. I had a bunch of very long conversations with my EN teammate @Derrek Sanks that helped me very much. @Mike Roberts added so much guidance and motivation I can’t even begin to express how grateful I am. This was my first podium for an Ironman. I finished just 8 minutes from a KQ! A strange coincidence was that the 2nd place finisher from my age group grew up in my town. I can’t wait to train and race again.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Congratulations on a great race. I was following your battle on the tracker. what are these "twisty steps" you speak of?

• Options

@Robert Sabo, some cross over side to side with arm swings. "The Funky Chicken" trying to get my run on.

• Options

@Edwin Croucher your run execution was textbook. You knew where you were and what you could do the whole time...ninja skills. It was fun to watch the race unfold and super pumped. Your are knocking on the door....it won't be long.

• Options

@Edwin Croucher it was SO great seeing you out on the run course so many times! You looked super strong every time and I knew you were killing it. Congratulations on a great race! You are SO close:-)

• Options

@Edwin Croucher Man oh Man! I've been watching your training for years now. It was so fun reading your RR! Was textbook execution working your way through the field throughout the day. A podium finish in an IM is an absolutely amazing feat and is a testament to your hard and consistent work over many years. I am so proud of you buddy! Just Wow! Seriously, just saying Congrats doesn't seem like enough!

• Options

"My stride was falling apart. After I made the turn around, I was told 3rd place was 500 feet in front of me. That changed everything. I didn’t know what I should do. Should I just trail him and try to beat him at the finish. I came to race. If he was better than me, he was going to have to prove it. I recognized the runner. He was Ed Vescovi and I had never beaten him"

@Edwin Croucher this statement stood out! Congratulations on pulling this off. What a good feeling to change the hunt to be hunted.

• Options

This was an awesome race to watch. Having known & race with you over the years has been a great facet to EN. Truly happy to see you have this breakthrough and to read of you REALLY racing! Looking forward to see what you do in '19... what's on the sched?

• Options

@Edwin Croucher you were blowing up the EN GroupMe as we all tracked you on the back half of the run along with constant updates from @Jeremy Behler !

Congratulations on representing strong, humbling your competition and earning that podium spot!

Can't wait for what the progress in 2019 reveals!!

SS

• Options

Hmm lets see where do I begin. 7' IM bike PR, 11' IM run PR , 26' IM PR , 1st Transition WIN , then we'll go to your rankings 15th AG swim , 1st AG T1, 7th AG bike, 3rd AG T2, and 6th AG run = 3rd AG podium... Earned and deserved! Bummed you didnt get the ticket but that 3rd place is worth more :-) So very happy for you.

I loved your racing Ed Vescovi story. I have raced Ed V. and I can tell you he is a very formidable competitor. Kudos to you for conquering that mental barrier "I had never beat him before" now the ball is in your court and next time you guys go head to head you have the advantage. Here is an old link to one of my RR's "The Quassy Double" where I first met Ed. He is the runner in my story on Day 2 that passed me with authority at mile 3 and then became my target. I couldnt help but relive it when I saw you pass him in MD, he musta been thinking WTF when he saw an EN kit pass him:-)

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/18843/tim-cronk-2015-quassy-challenge-oly-him-double-rr#latest

• Options

Great read! Great race. Congratulations! You earned it! I loved the story of the finish vs Ed V. Well done!

• Options

Wow! Thank you everyone. I really enjoyed this race and Training for it. @Team Endurance Nation , It was fantastic to be at the awards ceremony for the second time this season and have Mike Reilly announce EN as the Tri Club Champion for a race. He made some great comments this weekend and to paraphrase, he was amazed at how consistent we are as a team.Being on the podium was a fantastic honor. At 55 years old, i know there is only two chances for a KQ. I was close enough this weekend, I could hear the waves.

@Shaughn Simmons & @tim cronk, you two have given me so much racing & training help. I really do listen and sometimes I am even smart enough to follow your advice. @JeremyBehler & @Carol DeFazio, You gave me tons of energy. As I was finishing mile 23, Jeremy turned into my High School hockey coach. "Come on Ed. It's only 3 miles. You can do anything for 3 miles." There was no way I had any other choice. @John Withrow, I thought of you and remembered the Prefontaine quote I sent you. @Sheila Leard Thank you very much. @scott dinhofer, Thank you. I have not really thought about next year. I still want to do a thorough analysis of my training.

• Options

Amazing job @Edwin Croucher! I was great to chat with you and see you on the course! It made me happy to go through T2 and a short bit of the run! Your time is rapidly approaching!

• Options

Amazing race @Edwin Croucher, that's a great result.. but not surprising knowing your work ethic! you are so close to a trip on the island =)

• Options

@Edwin Croucher You have been so persistent and consistent in your training, so down-to-earth and practical in the way you absorb and use knowledge about all the little facets that go into Ironman success. I appreciate the dilemma you faced knowing you were getting closer and closer to #3, how to make the pass. Your choice - to just keep your own pace and effort level that you knew you could sustain - turned out to work very well for you.

There is no doubt you have not yet reached your peak. Don't rest yet, use the confidence you now have in your ability to pace the whole race and rely on your run fitness to make that final jump.

• Options

Big congrats again @Edwin Croucher !! Every time I saw you out there you were as focused and rock solid as a freight train! It was fun to watch! Let's meet down there next year and do it together.

• Options

Congrats Edwin! I remember meeting (catching you) at IMFL a few years back. You've only gotten stronger and stronger since then. Congrats on it all coming together at IMMD. Racing and beating a nemesis with a podium to boot. AWESOME! Can't wait to see what goes down next year!

• Options

@Edwin Croucher you raced IMMD SOOO WELL ... and Podium Finish was well-earned and deserved! You have been crushing it for all of 2018! ... I'm confident 2019 holds more of the same given your focus & drive! ... and Elaine's support of course! Enjoy your Recovery!!!

• Options

Ed, I've already told you offline how proud and excited I (still) am about your performance. Now that you've seen the summit and have been so close, you've got that one extra mental tool to use next time. You're further testament to the greatness of EN - a relatively "normal" athlete who patiently and diligently puts in the time and the work, learns from your experiences and those of others, and simply gets better/faster/smarter over the long haul. And here you are. Can't wait to see what you can do next time. Hopefully I'll be on the same course as you when it unfolds. Mike

• Options

To add to what @tim cronk said about Ed. In 2016 I passed Ed v at Quassy and he came up to me after the race and recounted getting passed by Tim. At this point I think Ed is having nightmares about runners in EN kits.

• Options

@Robert Sabo, I spoke with Ed V after the race. He commented about "all you EN guys are so fast". I told him I had been in several races with him and he had always been so strong. He is very much like all of the EN members I know, a gentleman and a terrific athlete.

• Options

ED, what an outstanding race! I was cheering (out loud) for you! I'm very happy to see your hard, persistent work, while working a demanding job, pay off with a 3rd place AG finish. Congratulations! And congrats on the multiple PRs, especially that run!!