Homeβ€Ί Races & Places πŸβ›Ί
Options

Jeff Kane - IMMD 2018 Race Report

I had a lot of mixed emotions going into the race (see race plan). After some last minute maneuvering we managed to get a hotel in Easton, 15 miles form the race site. (Lesson #1 - You rack up a lot of hotel nights for work, use your points for hotel rooms - Hotel cost for 4 nights $0.00 or 120,000 Hilton point) Left Wednesday afternoon, picked my wife up in Charlotte and drove to Richmond, VA for the night. Arrived in Cambridge the next afternoon, conducted race check in, bike and run route recon, then checked into the hotel and relaxed. Friday took it easy, checked gear into transition and drove the bike course again, some local flooding caused them to make an adjustment. All things I normally do prior to a race, but this is where I began to apply the lessons learned from others and the advice given. Finished the day with a simple meal of chicken and rice (Lesson #2 - low residual meals on Friday). In bed by 8:30 and woke up fresh. Arrived in transition, got everything set up, chatted with some of the team, hit the port o john one last time and lined up for the swim.

Swim - Goal 1:00 - 1:05

Actual - 1:11:07

Had high expectations for the swim based on my final race rehearsal and lined up in the middle of the 60 min and under group. Good start, no major contact on the first loop - went trough 1.3 miles in 33:58 feeling solid. About half way through lap two I could feel some serious chaffing in my neck and it felt like my wet suit was unzipped a bit. Ignored both and continued to push to the finish. When I got out, I realized it was unzipped halfway down my back, think it might have slowed me down a bit. Wetsuit strippers couldn't get my suit off of my left foot, so it took them about an extra 15-20 seconds, guess I could have helped. (Lesson #3 - Get a new wet suit! After my wife saw my neck, she said you definitely need a new one, looks like you wrestled an alligator! Sounds good to me!)

T1 - Goal 6 minutes or less

Actual - 3:56

The transitions were something that I knew I could gain time on and after reading so many race plans, and seeing the Ninja execution skills of others, I knew I could make some money here. I did practice these prior to the race and it payed off. Since my shoes were on my bike, I grabbed my own bike bag containing my helmet and Fuel Belt bag, had my helmet on and buckled before I was in the tent, pull out my Fuel Belt and stuffed my swim gear in the bag and dropped it with a volunteer and did not stop moving. Ran to my bike, grabbed it and out on the course. Overall very happy with T1, but I can do better! (Lesson #4 - Practice makes perfect and you don't need as much as you think you do!)

Bike - Goal 5:30 - 5:35

Actual - 5:28:18

The IMMD bike course is flat and fast but you always have a wind and as the day progresses, it is more constant and grows a bit stronger. Started the first 45 minutes JRA and taking on nutrition as I had planned. A lot of discussion swirled and my plan, which I am very grateful for and I took a step back and analyzed it a bit more. @Mike Roberts provided the final piece of advice that made it finally click. The plan was a bottle of GE every 40 minutes and a Shot Blok every 20 minutes. This worked perfectly as I felt solid on the bike the entire time and was plenty hydrated! I was not hungry one bit! (Lesson #5 - You can survive on less than what you think!). Did have a caffeinated gel at mile 95 to spice things up! The first 1 hour of the bike course is always interesting as people just hammer it, and then you just reel them back later on the course. Pretty uneventful ride, saw a crazy deer peak its head out of the brush and went back in and saw so many interesting athletes and bike set ups. Other than spectating, I just watched my power, rode smart, avoided the nonsense to set up the run. You could tell the wind was picking up and into you most of the last 25-30 miles. I actually felt sorry for those still on the course, that is one of the allures of MD, the wind. The longer your bike, the more you suffer in it!

NP: 187

IF: .64

VI: 1.01

T2 - Goal 6 minutes or less

Actual - 5:10

Hit T2, off the bike, racked it and grabbed my bag and into the tent right behind @Edwin Croucher, we set next to one another put our socks and shoes on, grabbed our "Go bag" and out of the tent one behind the other. (Lesson #6 - The more you practice and better prepared you are, the faster your transitions - Still, I can get better!)

Run - Goal 4:20 - 4:25

Actual - 4:58:30

We ran together until the first aid station where I hit the port o john and got into my groove and started tracking my watts from my Stryd. You could tell it was going to be hot as there are very few sections of shade on the run course. Took mental note to really watch the hydration and keep ice in my Race Saver bag. Stayed in my power range for the first 10 miles, running between aid stations, and fueling as I walked through them. After the first 10 miles I then began to develop a side stitch that really slowed me down for the next 5 miles, then I really began to suffer. Finger stick, salt, fluids, fuel and I couldn't shake it. I could definitely feel what I realized now was the lack of durability I had vice last year. Was was reduced to a walk shuffle and tried to extend the shuffle the more the final few miles. Held off on Coke until mile 20 and Red Bull until mile 22. Felt a few cramps in my arms and put them at bay with Base Salt, as I was coming around in the final miles I dug deep to keep the shuffle walk going and was beginning to come around the last mile, as I made the final turn in downtown Cambridge, I was picking up speed with about a 1/2 mile to go. Crossed into the finisher lane, hit mile 26 and a massive hamstring cramp stood me straight up and I almost fell over. Hit the Base Salt, got moving and powered to the finish. Not really happy with the run but very thankful for the lesson it taught me (Lesson #7 - NEVER, EVER, take run durability for granted again!!)

Total Time - 11:47:01

Not what I had in mind, but this is a finicky sport, in which you will always learn lessons. If you can walk away smarter then when you went in, you are better off for it!

Post race analysis of my run data - I track from Nov 1st until the day before the race. The results showed that I conducted 61 less runs and 582 less miles in the corresponding periods. Also during the same periods of 2016-2017 I had 9 months of well over 100 miles. In 2017-2018, just 1. So you know RDP will be my #1 priority as I look to next season.

It was great meeting some new teammates, sharing the course with them and sharing in encouraging words and looks! @Edwin Croucher @Danielle Santucci @Steve Theobald @Carol DeFazio @Turby Wright and I didn't recognize @JeremyBehler until after the fact, he was giving words of encouragement and I'm like who is this guy?? All the other teammates I didn't mention, GREAT JOB!

Looking forward to the feedback!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Haha. "Who the hell is this guy" was EXACTLY the look you had on your face.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2018 1:08PM

Jeff, I LOVE that you may not have had the day you planned, but learned so much from it! IM is ALWAYS earned, never given which I think it the beauty of the beast.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the lower calorie nutrition. I am hoping (and trained for) the same come 10/14.

Roka has some kick butt wetsuits and of course the team has a great deal with them. Shop on!!! (also, their customer service really rocks!)

As to the run bit...I am looking forward to actually doing the RDP this off season. I was injured last fall and built into the year slowly and kind of like RD, but missing the fall/early spring miles. I will be mindful of making the best of the run with in my limited training this year. AND your lesson that one and done does not apply to RD!

Which leads to my goals for transition! Might as well make um fast no?

Thank you for sharing your day, lessons learned and CONGRATS!!!

PS...@Jeremy Behler is kind of a big deal and a total sweetie!!! How could you not know that? ;)

• Options

Oh yeah, that @Jeremy Behler is so dreamy! 😍😍😍

Thanks for sharing the experience and lessons learned. doesn't sound like you could have done much more (during the actual) race to setup your run any better. Remember those later miles feelings this winter when you need the motivation to stay on the RDP thing (I know I will be having those thoughts).

Re: the wetsuit... Yes, a half unzipped wetsuit will create a ton of drag and surely slowed you down in addition to tearing you up. How big are you? I have an almost brand new HUUB Archimedes that I'll be selling really cheap (just haven't listed it yet) because I was an idiot and bought a ML instead of the MT that I actually needed (so I raced in my old MT one this yr ).

• Options

@JeremyBehler I was not in a good place and could not process why is this guy telling me EN stuff and encouraging me? I was thinking "He was no average person and not an average fan?", just who is he... Now I know. I commented to a colleague today, people look different versus training/racing kit! Thanks!

@Trish Marshall, when the run is in question you make the time in the T's. I was very happy with the nutrition and had zero issues, definitely a benefit. RDP and the goals I am developing will hopefully pay off big next year! Good luck at IMLOU, I'll be tracking, a fun race for sure!

@John Withrow no doubt that run will a be a significant motivational factor. Thanks for the offer on the wet suit, I am 5'9" and weigh 165-175. 165 will be the new me. Looking at the Huub size chart a M would be perfect and the ML would be a too big. I look forward to your preparation for Kona next year the the discussion you bring to the table!

• Options

Great race and love how you listed your lessons learned. After your rest, you will get back to work and know where to focus to execute better next time !

• Options
    @Jeff Kane, It was great racing with you. Seeing you before the swim start
    helped me to calm down and get ready. I had a very similar experience as
    you with my wet suit. Although it didn't unzip, it totally tore up my neck.
    By 1.3 miles, the salt water was really stinging. Halfway through I was on
    track but slowed significantly from that point. You are totally correct
    about the importance of a fast transition. I don't know what you had in the
    fuelbelt for T-1 but I would eliminate everything I could to speed up and
    gain places. Your bike looks very good. One recommendation I have for the
    bike on a flat course is to stand and stretch often. Just a quick few
    seconds. You'll add a little power while standing so your speed won't drop,
    but the benefits to your body are big and really help the run. For me, all
    Ironman runs are tough. I have been on the RDP for a while and each race
    has felt better. You will really improve your future races following that
    program. Even though you were suffering on the run, you still gave me a big
    smile and wave every time you passed me. That helped me and thank you. It
    was great racing with you and I can't wait to do it again.
  • Options

@Edwin Croucher , you are truly Master Class! Just know, for guys like me, we look up to guys like you! Hope for one day to be in your position! To work through the problems like you did speaks volumes! In the Fuelbelt is extra nutrition that wasn't need, if it can get me 30 sec, I'll take it! For the day, I tried to give good Karma, glad it worked for you! My take is this, if I can make a difference in one person than it is all worth it, then irregardless of my performance, you made my trip worth it! What's next? For me 2019 IMFL!

• Options

Great seeing you out there @Jeff Kane ! Big congrats to you on your race! Your swim(the swim is never fast there and was long), transitions, and bike were all rock solid. Your run outcome wasn't what you hoped for but you answered it yourself. Nothing a little run durability won't cure! Rest up and get ready to kill it next time!!

• Options

@Jeff Kane ... First, HUGE CONGRATS on tackling & Finishing IMMD given what "life" threw at you!

Your RR shows that you didn't let the Swim "challenges" derail your race, especially evidenced in ninja execution for T1, Bike, & T2 ... and that you fought through a physically and mentally demanding Run!

I'm guessing you may not have been able to focus on Run Power as much as you were planning to given the issues ... but am still curious if you got any Power "data" to inform your future Runs/Races?

Lastly, thanks for openly sharing your Lessons Learned ... as they can help all of us!

• Options

Jeff, Congratulations! It was fun tracking you throughout your race. Well executed race and great lesson learned. I think you had the best possible race with the fitness you had on that day...and that's all you can ask of yourself...Well done!

• Options

@Francis Picard, thanks! I look forward to tracking you and your adventures and hope one day to race with you again!

@Rory Gumina thanks! The power data is a bit skewed but 198NP, VI of 1.06, and IF of 0.68. Looking at the file, there were some good lessons learned and the first 10 miles were consistent. During my RDP, I will closely monitor my power and learn from it.

@Derrek Sanks thanks! I really learned a lot from this race and really now know how to apply it going forward. I am so proud of your accomplishment at IMLP and I'll be tracking your journey next week!

• Options

@Jeff Kane A proper "Well Done" on a course which is tougher than it looks on paper, no?

Comments on a few of your lessons: #2, Low Residual Meals - since 2005, I've been going with a total liquid dinner the night before an IM, usually a Jamba Juice with 1000-1300 calories. Peanut butter, chocoloate, banana, etc well mixed. Lesson #3, New Wet Suit - consider the De Soto. In my experience it is faster than the top end suits I use on occasion. The two piece system means full free motion of the upper body. The neck is free of any zipper, velcro, or other things which might chafe or rub; the zipper closes downwards, and starts about 8 inches below the neck. And, the farmer John bottom is a bit easier for strippers to yank off (as long as you tell them not to pull the shoulder straps!). Lesson # 5, Bike Calories - while I tend to agree that less sometimes is more here, mainly because I have trouble taking in more, maybe the lower calorie intake on the bike had something to do with your run performance? Lesson #7, Don't take Run Durability For Granted - tha name of the game is consistency; a steak in and of itself is not necessary, sometimes 6/7 days works better for recovery purposes. Finally, #8 - What about Hot Shot? - never used it myself, but others swear by it as a great prophylactic, rather than cure, for cramps.

And, yeah, maybe Lesson #9 For @Jeremy Behler - maybe at least wear an EN visor, if not shirt...?

• Options

@Al Truscott great feedback, thank you! Great point on the wetsuit as I begin my search for an upgrade. I think I was right on for bike calories. I just think the run was not there. Never thought about Hot Shot, but will look into it. Lesson #9, priceless!

• Options

@Al Truscott I was wearing an EN hat for most of the day.....that is Until I saw @Simon Shurey around mile 2 and asked him how he was doing and he said "I could use a visor". Instinctually I offered him my hat and then immediately realized that would be considered outside assistance. I don't think it struck either of us right away and after the fact I figured it would be fine since he wasn't gunning for a Kona spot and was 115 miles into his first IM of two consecutive that weekend.