Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Multiple 70.3 Races and Planning

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in... but... I'm considering multiple 70.3 races in 2019. I'm initially thinking 2-3 races. What kind of spacing should I consider between these races? Should they be 1 month apart (or more or less time)? Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Robert Patrick Interested to hear what some of the WSM's will say. I would think that 3 weeks apart is sufficient depending on the race.

• Options

HIM is an entirely different beast from IM, I think, when it comes to recovery. While I don't do a lot of these (I tend to hit a bunch of Olympics most years), I have found it quite feasible to bundle two of them into one training cycle. Meaning doing two a week apart can work just fine, if you happen to like both races. I would say, first decide on which races attract you, irrespective of when they are. In addition to the two-for-one strategy, doing two four weeks apart also works. But don't try to do one a month for too long - it's just too hard to sustain a peak for longer than 3-4 weeks.

Also consider rolling shorter races into your training plan, like a sprint the week before, or an oly two weeks out. Or using 10Ks & half marathons for your long runs The more you race, the better racer you'll be, because you'll have more opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them; and you'll get a keener internal sense of pacing.

The best part of races which are 5 hours or shorter: nutrition planning and execution is MUCH less important. One less thing to mess up on...