Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Coach Patrick's Next Challenge...

I knew I was onto something when @John Withrow Told me this was the dumbest idea ever. Who could turn down a challenge like that?!! 😂

I am sharing this with you because  I know so many of you are awesome, engaged people in your own communities. I hope you will reach out if you have thoughts or input, or just a good story. Or to make fun of me. No matter what happens, it's going to be a super interesting Fall!!!

++++++++++++

Dear Friends - 

I wanted to reach out to you over this holiday weekend to let you know that I am running for a seat on the Barrington School Committee and I hope I can count on your support. 

I know what you are thinking -- what’s with Patrick taking this “running” thing to the next level??? While working for change is certainly a test of endurance, the truth is a great less sensational.

Why I Am Running…

With two children in the Barrington Public Schools, I care deeply about our town’s educational environment. Like many of you, our family chose Barrington for its schools and I am a firm believer that the best way to create change is to get involved. After several years of volunteerIng in the classroom, helping at events and serving on a few committees, I believe the next best step to effect change is to seek public office.

The Realities of Education in the 21st Century...

Our Students are preparing to live and work in a brave new world where grades and test scores are only part of the equation. At the same time, they are challenged with unprecedented levels of stress and anxiety. Like technology itself, the playing field shifts drastically every few years. As community, teachers and parents and administrators Will have to work together to create the best possible environment for our children to learn, grow and thrive. 

What I Am Working For...

I believe that Barrington Schools can move beyond being “the best of Rhode Island” and challenge for a place in the top tier public schools of New England. This vision comes from the existing strengths we have in our Schools and the support from our Community. But first, we have to get back to the basics of what makes a community-centric approach to education effective. Barrington is great, but we can -- and must -- do more.

My Approach…

Solving for these challenges won’t be easy, but here’s how I plan to work with the other members of the School Committee and stakeholders such as the Administration, Teachers and Parents to make it happen. 

Accountability - Excellence is a result of different stakeholders working together to shape a better future for our students. Accountability to ourselves, to each other and to the process is a critical first step.

Community - Expanding the dialogue about our schools to include everyone involved, while challenging, is a necessary piece for making the best possible decisions. We must use the Human Capital and resources that already exist here in Barrington to be our best!

Transparency - Transparency breeds trust, and trust is the foundation of great community. It encourages innovation, leads to greater justice and encourages meaningful feedback and improved dialogue. 

Here’s How You Can Help: 

Please visit and like my Facebook page to help spread the word: https://www.facebook.com/patrickforbarringtonschools/ 

Please consider attending, or sharing, one of the Meet and Greet events from this Fall (Events tab on Facebook, more coming soon).

If you are interested in representing with a Campaign Pin, or if you live on a major street where a Yard Sign could be appropriate, please tell me on the Facebook page.

If you have the means, please consider a small donation to offset the costs of the campaign...it’s greatly appreciated!

Finally, please remember to vote on November 6th!

Who Else is Running?

Three Out of five seats Are open this election cycle. There are a total of four candidates running. Gina Bae and Erika Sevetson are joining me on the Democratic Slate; I encourage you to check out their Facebook pages to learn more about them. I am very proud of the “team” we have developed for this election cycle. This is the first time in a long time there is a chance to create some legitimate change; we can’t miss out on this opportunity. 

I expect that this campaign and the path ahead will be challenging, but I am ready for the task. Thank you in advance for your support!

~ Patrick

Patrick John McCrann for School Committee

Vote November 6th!

(w) www.patrickforschoolcommittee.org  

(f) @patrickforbarringtonschools

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    #BETHEEXAMPLE!

Good luck buddy! Love the passion!

Ian
  • Options

Yes! I applaud you in wanting to serve!!!

Good luck!!!

Patti

• Options

So nice from you ! hope you get the seat and can achieve your goals.

Getting involve in your kids' school is really rewarding, I am treasurer since 3 years and I dont see when I will leave that position.

good luck!

• Options

Good stuff. Vote PapaDoc McCrann! Is this like a board trustee? I don’t know much about the governance in US Ed. For any local position, the incumbent effect is someth8g like 90%, so get in’s when you can.

one tip: don’t refer to the school year as the “build period”and summer as “The OS.”

• Options

Good luck....public service is an admirable pursuit. Is it normal for school board positions to be party denominated in RI? I've never seen that in the cities which I've lived.

I have a general distrust of anyone in political office until proven otherwise but since I already know you that means you get a pass until the system corrupts you.

• Options

Another big endeavour for you Coach P. Almost 2 months on the campaign trail, with a little Kona break to help recharge your batteries for the final push.

• Options
    you all are hysterical!! i’m going to save this to bed so I can read it in
    six months when I’m banging my head against the wall. 😂
  • Options

If elected, what is the time commitment?

• Options

He's got signs people!!!! This is totally awesome! Stay inside your box :)

• Options

Another challenge. I respect your willingness to get involved to make changes. I'm not sure I understand the party affiliation for this sort of position. Good luck.

• Options

Awesome @Coach Patrick !! As someone else with a career in education, I am really happy to see you getting involved. Go get 'em! I'm sure you'll execute the heck out of that election race. And ditto to @Dave Tallo 's recommendation. LOL!