Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Dave Glenn IM Louisville Report

Backstory: This was my 2nd IM distance race as well as my second year with EN. Louisville was my 'A' race of 2018. I competed in 4 short course races as well. I began the year with the January OS but had prepped for the OS in Nov/Dec of 2017. I followed the training plans as closely as possible. I really wanted to give myself the best possible chance of success at Ironman (success for me meant executing the EN way and finishing within 12 hours). I worked really hard this year at improving my run quickness. Even though year 2 is a bike focus year I spent as much time as i could running fast (as the plans called for early on). Not only did that improve my run times on both short and long distance courses, it helped me become a better cyclist.

Race day: As previously stated in other Louisville race reports it was cold! We spent way too much time in wetsuits standing/sitting in line waiting for the race begin. I estimated that I'd hit the water no later than 0800. Turns out that 0920 was the magic number. I jumped in and absolutely loved it! It was warm!! Gross, but warm! The current was moving at a good clip and I got after it. Long strokes with no kick. Before I knew it I was swimming towards the exit stairwell.

T1: 10:18. Way to slow, I know! I practiced and practiced my transitions this season and hoped to stay no longer than 7 minutes. I will use the excuse of having to put tons of clothes on as to not FREEZE on the bike. Turned out to be a good decision!

Bike: 6:32. Conditions were less than ideal. Wet, slick and at times congested with other bikes. My goal was to ride the EN way. JRA the first 60 min, minimize stops, keep on top of nutrition and be strong on the way home. I rode conservative the first 60 miles. Saw too many crashes to really feel like i could be comfortable opening it up. Learned how to pee on the bike. Had a good solid ride last half of the course. I ended up riding about a .65IF which is a lower number than I was shooting for. Weather conditions prevented me for riding with more intensity. I was very happy to have only stopped once the entire ride (to put on leg warmers). Nutrition was on point. Never felt low or out of whack...other than being very cold!!

T2: 8:59. Really? I went into the tent and dropped helmet, glasses, tools and extra nutrition off from the bike. Put shoes, run belt and added run nutrition to pockets. That took 9 minutes???? Goal was less than 5. Boy it was nice and toasty in that tent though!

Run: 4:25. I worked really hard this season on run fitness/ability. I was looking forward to this part of the race the most. I worked the first 6 miles on keeping HR around the avg of the bike. Miles 6-13 slightly higher intensity. Miles13-18 apply even more intensity. Miles 18-25 race begins. 25-26.2 compose myself and finish with a smile. I am super stoked to report that all of those goals were met. I nailed that run. Negative split, racing and passing lots and lots of people between mile 18-25. I felt so good reeling in all those folks who blew past me the first 8-10 miles. Never did I stop (I did walk the aid stations). Nutrition was great. My body felt good all things considered.

I've mentioned in many forums throughout the 2 years of being a member that I am inspired and awed at the ability of a large portion of the Endurance Nation community. I feel as if this IM was a success (even though the swim was shortened and the weather was ridiculous) and I owe it in a large part to you. I look forward to meeting and training with EN peeps for a long time to come! Thank you!!

Comments

• Options

@David Glenn great race and good seeing you out on the course as you cruised by on the run.

• Options

Killed it! Nailed it! Ruled it! Yep, all those things! Having a well executed race in those conditions and only in your second IM? Read the first three comments above! Huge Congrats @David Glenn!!!

It was great meeting you at Wild Eggs! If your in the mitten let me know! We can hit up Fabulous Ferndale for some eats! I am sure its a lot different now than when you lived there!

Enjoy nailing your race goals, and I'm excited to see what you do next!