Homeβ€Ί Announcements πŸŽ™
Options

Stryd vs GPS watches as Data Source

I had this posted on the dashboard, but perhaps may get more traction in the forums.

I just got my Stryd and had a quick question around what info people get from Stryd, beyond power, and what they get from their GPS device. I have Stryd set up to be the speed source rather than my Garmin 935, per the Stryd instructions when I set up. Pros/ cons to this? Those of you "Stryders", do you only use Stryd for power and your GPS watch for pace, distance, speed?

Comments

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - I am a newbie on stryd. I haven't done much with it, not even calibrated, so I should probalby do that soon!

I am essentially using it as a data collection tool at this point. Now that I have been using it for about 8 weeks, I am starting to pay attention to the power numbers and start to understand them.

I previously had a Garmin Footpod for running on a TM. When outside I always used the GPS as my speed/ distance source & the Footpod on the TM... I would have assumed this translates the same to Stryd, but let's see what smarter people have to say!

• Options

Stryd is more reliable for speed and distance. On my watch a Fenix 3 I keep gps on also. If you are on trails I think Stryd would be more accurate

• Options

@Jeff Phillips I have been using Stryd since last spring, first collecting data, then starting to use the numbers. I do have my speed and distance to read off the Stryd, not the GPS. I have the fenix 5 and as much as I paid for it, don't trust much that comes out of it. I know the GPS is supposed to be pretty good, but the wrist HR is for shit.

• Options
    Despite what Stryd folks say, I found my Garmin
    Fenix 3 to be more accurate on distance
    when I run on track or marked path. I
    Assume from that distance is better also.
    I have Stryd set for sp/dist indoor only

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Thanks @Al Truscott, @Jeff Horn, @Tim Sullivan and @scott dinhofer

If you are setting Stryd to read distance, is that a setting in your GPS watch? I've got a 935 and am only two to three runs using it. Is there a setting within the watch Run profile?

Thanks in advance

• Options
    It’s under the sensors menu. You select Stryd and there are a few settings
    that you can adjust
  • Options

Go to Settings β€”> Sensors and Accessories β€”> FP - Stryd and check that Speed and Distance are both set to Always.

Stryd has very sensitive accelerometers, so is much better at real-time speed than GPS. It can also give you more accurate distance than GPS, but you may need to calibrate it. To do that, set the watch to get distance from Stryd and then run a mile or two on the track or a known accurate course. You can set the calibration factor in settings (if you do that, be sure to turn off auto calibration).

• Options

Thanks @Tim Sullivan and @Mike Westover . Successful first run with Stryd this morning.