Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jason Brandt's Official Coach Thread

edited September 11, 2017 11:10PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
Training for IMAZ, next week is week 15. I am taking the family to San Diego and cannot do Race Rehearsal as planned. Would like to do race rehearsal on Thursday and then move Thursday's long run to Saturday in San Diego. Thoughts or any other changes I would need to make?

Comments

• Options
    @Jason, sounds like a good plan. You would do Monday as planned. Tuesday is the Wednesday (bike interval). Wednesday is the Friday RR swim. Thursday is the Race Sim. Friday off...Saturday is the long run...Sunday is off or a very short easy run of 30-40 minutes...

Maybe ask the Team where a good place to run where you will be???
  • Options
    Week 19 of Ironman Intermediate. Do the short 30 minute runs on Tuesday and Saturday include the Official Run Warm up of 15 minutes? Run is described as Z4 Out and Z2 back.

Also, I have submitted my IMAZ Bio, where do I find my teammate Bios on the EN website? Didn't see where they would be posted.
  • Options
    @Jason, no warm up any more!!! Just get the runs in!

The team bios are posted on the blog in one big post...usually the week of the Race!!
  • Options
    Greetings Patrick. I'm in week 13 of ADV IM plan for June 29th IMCDA. Week 15 of schedule calls for Camp Week which is a big FRI-SAT-SUN volume days. I'm travelling for work to Paris that week and would only be able to do one of those days. However, next week I'm not travelling for work. Can I swap week 15 and 14 so that I can do the camp week?

Thanks,
    Jason Brandt
  • Options
    Yes that's totally acceptable. Just let me know when you get back, and make sure that you're 100% rested before starting to train again. Before you leave you can just do a big ride with a short run and that will be fine (Sat).
  • Options
    What is effort guidance for Saturday ride of camp week 15 of IM? This is the day following race rehearsal. Guidance says aim for 112 mile but at least 56. Is it just whatever I can muster?
  • Options
    Typically about the same effort, warm-up zone one them to move into zone two. Ideally, if you fuel it and pace it properly, you should be able to put up a very similar effort.
  • Options
    Hi Patrick--Four weeks out from IMCDA and things are going well but this season has been a real challenge with work travel that has me commuting cross country pretty much every week. Have a few questions that have been on my mind.

1) My employer wants me to do a 5k charity race two weeks (14 days) prior to CDA. Is it safe to race it without affecting CDA or should I just run it at say Zone 2-3?

2) Life commitments are too much right now for me to continue with Ironman level serious training. I was thinking of focusing on primarily running after CDA as it is easier to fit in with my travel schedule. I would love to qualify for Boston but I don't know what it would take to get me that fast. I feel like I've got a big fast biking engine but only a moderate run engine. I am a 47 vDOT runner and ran my IMAZ marathon last november in 3:53 (total 10:24). I would need to run a 3:15 marathon or 7:26/mile to just make qualifying time. My vDOT MP states 7:24. Do you think this is a reasonable goal for Fall of 2014 or is it better to shoot for say spring of 2015 in either case to run Boston in 2016? Would you recommend marathon plans from within EN or switch my membership over to your Marathon Nation?

3) I picked up Ben Greenfield's book "Beyond Training" and highly recommend it if you haven't looked at it. Some of the stuff is way beyond anything I would consider but it does contain some very thoughtful research and tips.
  • Options
    Jason- sorry to hear about the travel....but I get it. Be sure to use that travel time to refine your race plan to Zone 2/3 that 5k, just not worth jeopardizing it. I'd recommend you target a great half marathon first...that will allow you to run fast and balance with your far. But we'd want to keep your bike going at the least....I will check out the book, Thanks!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick--A year since my last post to the my microthread.

This coming week is week 16 of IM Advanced plan for IM Canada. Just finished Camp weekend this weekend with race rehearsal Friday, long bike Saturday and then my 135 min run today.

I am going backpacking with my son and have no chance to S/B/R Thur thru Sun of this coming week. All else on the horizon leading up to IMC looks free of conflct. Wondering how I should modify this week and even possibly next week given the missed 4 days of training. Thinking if nothing else I would move the Thursday long run up to Wednesday and perhaps try and do a long bike the Monday after the weekend.

Thanks in advance for your reply
  • Options
    Jason, that's gotta be some kind of record!!! image Congrats on camp weekend...you are doing great! I suggest:

Tuesday = Wed Bike/Run
    Wednesday = Thursday Long Run

Then pick up the next week as planned...you are still semi-recovering from Camp Week, so I don't think you need to put in an extra early bike...if you are still worried coming that following weekend you could extend the Sunday ride a bit longer (and drop it to Z2) but really, not worried about it. Have a great trip!
  • Options

@jason brandt

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

4x IM.  Last IM was IMAZ 2015 10:11.  63 min swim, 5:10 Bike and 3:53 run.  Took 2016 off with no racing and just fitness maintenance.  Raced IMCA 70.3 this year in 5:25.  2018 want to do IM 70.3 Victoria June 3rd 2018 as lead up to IMWI Sep 9th 2018.  Want to do earliest Out Season with team.  Peak FTP was 280 prior to 2015 IMAZ but just tested and is 232.  Want to do much of my fall/winter rides indoors w/Zwift.  Need to get faster also on run.

Your Races

• 06/03/2018 IM 70.3 Victoria
    • 09/09/2018 IM Wisconsin

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/11/2017 
    • On 9/11/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/8/2017
    • On 10/9/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/5/2017
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the Advanced OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 2/4/2018
    • On 2/5/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/18/2018
    • On 2/19/2018 Load the Advanced Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/1/2018
    • On 4/2/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 6/10/2018
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post HalfIron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/24/2018
    • On 6/25/2018 Load the Advanced Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/9/2018
    • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018

Coach Notes

Great to have you back! Looking at your result in Arizona, I think you will really enjoy our new training focus. We call this the Run Durability Program (RDP) .... It's a chance to build some good baseline run fitness for restarting corporate intensity and volume across your season. Most of this running will be done at your goal race pace for the big day. Another words, we have seen a disconnect between what people running training and what they actually run on race day… This program helps solve that.

During this time you're free to ride you like, as the running is pretty baseline. You can easily do 2 sessions a week on Zwift. And you should definitely join us on Sundays for our 8 AM tempo ride as a team. Instructions are in the wiki here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Sunday+ABP+Rides+on+Zwift 

Once you are through the OutSeason®, we will put you into our Swim Camp Plan (more here) to recover, and then the Bike Focus Plan to continue building strength. Then it's the Half Plan, recover, and full plan. 

I think it's a great build. 

Let me know what you think and let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach, I signed up for IMAZ for Nov 18 thru an Ironman Foundation Slot. just finished IMWI 2 weeks ago, feel like I have adequately rested and ready to get back at it. Do I just load up the IM Plan and keep at it? I read the IM Revenge protocol and will make some adjustments as advised to long run and intensity. Anything else?

My IMWI race was good, not great. I had stomach cramps that started 2 days before race, limited my run and continued until the Friday after the race. Issue resolved itself. Run is still my limiting discipline.

Thanks, Jason Brandt

• Options

Let’s load up the IRONMAN plan again to end on Arizona, once you put it inside final surgery I can make some edits. The key right now is that you get back to some steady biking and swimming twice a week. You can do a few short break runs but nothing along this week. Just do yourself a favor and wear your heart reminder so we can see how your recovery is going, do you want to make sure we stay on top of that as it’s possible you might need more rest depending on how the next week or so go with your training.

When the plan is live In FinalSurge, let me know and I’ll go take a look at it.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2018 9:39PM

@Jason Brandt --

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I agree, the run really suffered. And that's a LONG SEASON of racing. I advise you do the Run Durability Program to get back to some run frequency and gently start training again. That last week of the year / pre-Jan OS, you can pile on some bike miles in a mini volume push. Then it's Jan OS for 10 weeks and the IM plan for 8.

I recommend we check in at the start of the New Year to see how you feel. It could be that the OS isn't right for you there and we might need to adjust the plan / our expectations.

Top Priority -- Run Frequency (not speed or volume)

Your Races

• Ironman Santa Rosa (2019-05-12) #IMSR_19
    • Ironman Whistler (07/28/2019) #IMCA_19
    • Ironman Cozumel (11/24/2019) #IMCOZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/28/2018
    • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2018
    • On 12/24/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/20/2019
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the -- EN*Full Bike Focused to end on 5/12/2019
    • On 5/13/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/9/2019
    • Connect with Coach P for future planning...

Your Notes

Completed 6 Ironman with best of IMAZ 2015 in 10:11. Swim is always 63-69 minutes. My bike on Sunday was 5:18. It's my run that seems to really vary.  This year did Victoria 70.3, IMWI in 11:40 and IMAZ in 11:20 this past Sunday. My Run really deteriorated this year, I did a lot of miles but didn't do a lot of intensity or with the frequency I needed. I just posted IMAZ race report. My last two IM runs were 4:30-4:45 when they should have been 4:00.  Need a few weeks before I get going againWant to do IM Santa Rosa on May 11th. Where I live will require indoor cycling until March 1st, just bought Kickr CORE thru team discount. 

Wasn't sure how much of outseason to do or how to modify and when to drop back into IM training plan for the may 11th race. Planning to do IM Canada then 11 weeks later. Then end the year with IM Cozumel.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P