Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Scott Schneider's IMAZ 2018 Race Report

Ironman Arizona was my first successful attempt at the 140.6 distance. Hopefully someone will find some useful lessons learned from my experience and mistakes. It was incredibly challenging and rewarding race and checked off a big box on my bucket list.

I stayed with family in Mesa, which was about a 20-minute drive from Tempe Beach Park. Arrived late Thursday, checked in Friday, and turned in bike and race bags Saturday. I did my best to stay off my feet, go over my race plan, and review previous IMAZ race reports.

The alarm went off at 3:30 AM Sunday. I had gone to bed early, but slept like crap. Powerbar, coffee, Naked Juice, and regular Gatorade. My wife and daughter drove with me to Tempe. I arrived at Transition right around 5:00 AM. I set up my bike, got body marking out of the way, and tried to relax. I would always rather be early than late, so I had plenty of time to kill.

I seeded myself in the 1:30 group. I swam a 1:30 at IMCDA and felt I was very capable of doing it again. I wisely elected to wear my full suit for the swim, as the water temperature was about 60 degrees. I finally made in into the water probably close to 7:20 and WOW it was cold. I made sure to keep breathing and tried to get into a rhythm, waiting for the initial shock to wear off. I'm not sure if it was the wetsuit not sealing well( I have lost a few pounds since I purchased it) or I was just being a wimp, but I was miserably cold the entire time I was in the water. My calf cramped, my shoulders ached, and I ended up swimming a disappointing 1:58.

When I attempted IMSR in May, I swam a 1:54. My Garmin Fenix said I had swam 5,074 yards. I didn't know how I could have been so off course, but I didn't know what else could have happened. In preparation for IMAZ, I did multiple open-water swims, focusing on swimming straight and sighting frequently.

Although I was uncomfortable, I took my mind off of it my counting strokes and trying to sight frequently. I didn't think the sun was too bad (I wore mirrored goggles) On the first portion of the swim heading east, I was passing buoys close enough that I could touch them, so I knew I was doing ok. After the turnaround, I was a bit confused where we were supposed to be swimming, so I basically followed the herd back towards the swim exit. Never anywhere near a kayaker or paddleboarder trying to put me back on course or anything. Never found myself off swimming by myself, so I was surprised when I paused to look at my watch and saw I was approaching 4800 yards. When I finally exited the water, my Garmin showed I swam 5,544 yards. I still can't wrap my head around that, which makes me think my watch isn't working correctly. I could see swimming an extra hundred yards or two, but over a thousand yards?????

I told myself not to think about it and keep moving. Stopped at wetsuit strippers, grabbed my bike bag, and went into the tent. I was still shivering and it took me a bit longer than I wanted to get changed out. Was shooting for 10 minutes, ended up with 15:11.

I had focused my training on the bike, as it has been the most challenging for me. I forced myself to ride painfully slow for the first lap, building effort slightly over the next two laps. I averaged 16.4 mph for my 6-hour race rehearsal, and averaged 16.1 mph for the race - pretty close. I stuck with my nutrition plan, and avoided stomach discomfort until the latter half of the run. The only thing I might have changed, given the relatively mild temperatures, is I actually think I was overhydrated. I peed three times before mile 56, and probably stopped to pee a total of seven times over the entire bike course. I was much more comfortable in aero, thanks to the new bike fit, and made sure not to waste any time in porta-potties or at BSN. I had a total of 10 minutes stopped, with a total bike time of 7:07. I got off the bike feeling pretty good and was starting to feel more confidence.

T2 was 8:43. I would have liked to be closer to 5:00, but I wasn't trying to rush myself.

Lap one of the run - I felt like a million dollars. I stuck to my nutrition plan, and was doing a 5-minute run with a 1-minute walk. The volunteers and crowds were incredible - the best I have seen at any Ironman event. As I was running, I had the good fortune to run into @Al Truscott, and introduced myself to him. Al was laser-focused and was already on his second lap. He is a beast and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as an endurance athlete. He told me to stay within myself, and I did my best to follow his advice throughout the remainder of my race.

As I began lap 2, the fatigue started to catch up with me. I was in uncharted territory - the furthest I had made it before in IM was mile 11, and I was in much better shape this time around. Everything started hurting, and I dreaded having to do the back half of the run again.

My run-walk turned in to more of a walk-run, then a walk-walk. Although I tend to be kind of anti-social, I decided to start talking to people and find a few suffer-buddies. This made a huge difference, as I found some comfort knowing other people were suffering too - many of whom had multiple IM finishes under their belt. I was fascinated by what inspired people from so many age ranges, backgrounds, and different walks of life to attempt something like IM. I think that's why I love watching all the race promotion videos IM posts on You Tube.

When I passed Mile 20, I did the math, and knew I could walk the rest of the race and still make it. I never once even remotely considered quitting, but until this point, I wasn't 100% sure I would finish. I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, knowing I was just a few miles away from Mike Reilly and my first IM finish.

The finish line didn't disappoint. The music, the crowd, the lights....I felt like a damn rock star. My wife, sister-in-law, 7-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter were all there waiting at the finish line. I couldn't have scripted a better, more fulfilling finish to my Ironman journey. Final time, 16:09.

I plan to take a break from triathlon, hit the reset button, and consider what my next challenge will be. Maybe someday, I will test myself again at Ironman. It has been quite an experience.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Scott Schneider Congrats Ironman! Kudo's to you for putting this out ahead of time. Sweet success. IMO most GPS watches measure a bit long in OWS situations but 5500 yds does seem extreme. Would love to see your swim file? FWIW the swims at IMAZ did seem a few minutes slower than normal, probably more of a result from the change in the swim course but that cold water did not help any . Way to finish what you started. Good Luck at that next challenge !

• Options

Congratulations Ironman!!! IMAZ is quite the venue to get your IM status at! Congrats on staying focused all day and remaining calm and determined on the back half of the marathon. Making friends sometimes is the best part of the day!

Advice from @Al Truscott is always pure gold. Lucky you got some on course counseling from him!!!

Congrats again and enjoy the down time!

• Options

Congrats @Scott Schneider ! As my RR will show when I finally get it up, my swim GPS track was way off as well (something like 5500 yds, showing me crossing the lake and back during the return leg). Sorry I missed the chance to see you at the finish line and somehow missed you in the recovery area (I think I was being massaged as you came across). Great work pushing through all of the challenges!

• Options

Scott - I've told your story multiple times already on the way home. 2X DNF, and getting back on the saddle for a third requires a laser focus and steel will of your own. Seeing you start out on the run was uplifting for me as well, as I knew from you ability to put one foot in front of the other with such authority that NOTHING was going to stop you from getting to Rio Salado before midnight. (As long as you didn't blow yourself up by working too hard too soon; hence the "Stay within yourself").

I don't know about the swim, as my Garmin for some reason stopped @ 3800 yards (I discovered as I got out of the water, and restarted right away). But judging from that time/distance and my finishing time, I suspect I at least swam 3950 meters, and I'm a VERY straight swimmer. The course set up and where people went on the return leg from Rural Rd bridge to the exit ramp was funky. Some went the buoy line on the right, which was a curve to the right of a direct route (Don't know the golf terms); others followed the concrete wall on the left, also not straight.

Finally, I suspect our wives spent a fair amount of time talking under the Mill St Bridge about 6:30-7 while waiting for us to come around. She describes a "39 yr old police officer on disability from arm injury", whose husband had DNF'd x 2 and was from San Diego County. Are there two of you like that?

• Options

Al - That's my wife alright....how awesome!

• Options

Really happy for you @Scott Schneider !! Your kids will remember your perseverance and tenacity forever. IM training is a lot of work so I understand how a break is needed. Whatever your next challenge i s - keep it fun and you'll do great.

• Options

@Sheila Leard thank you for all of your advice and support, especially with my nutrition plan. My daughter bought the "I'M NEXT" t-shirt at the Ironman store, and I have no doubt she will follow in my footsteps one day. Proud dad!

• Options

@Scott Schneider Awesome job at IMAZ!!! Wish I had gotten a chance to meet you before or during the race. What an amazing demonstration to your kids of "what's possible" and I am sure they are incredibly proud and bragging about you to all their friends. They will forever remember their dad completing your ironman!

The water was definitely colder than I remember and I would suspect take a toll the longer one is in the water. My GPS had the swim at 4197 but I've had so many swims that my watch said were long, short or didn't register at all. The map if it loads should tell you if you swam straight and shortest distance.

Brag about your accomplishment! You certainly earned it! Feast on T-Day tomorrow!

• Options

Congratulations Scott! What a great ending to your IM journey. That's a huge accomplishment, especially after two attempts. You're a perfect example of persistence, focus and going after your goals. Very happy for you.

• Options

Congratulations Ironman @Scott Schneider. How exciting, I'm sorry I didn't get to see you out on the course. 60 degree water makes for a long swim no matter how you measure it.

• Options

Made it into the official Ironman Arizona video! I make an appearance at 21 seconds getting body marked.

Happy Thanksgiving

• Options

@Scott Schneider Congrats on the IM finish. I was tracking you throughout the day. Great job overcoming the challenges IM throws at you. Enjoy the next challenge.

• Options

glad you were able to get it done. Congrats.