Home General Training Discussions
Options

Science of Ultra Podcast- Episode 59: Neurological Fatigue in Ultra Marathons with Guillaume Millet

Has anyone listened to this one?

I tend to geek out on stuff like this and wonder if in a former life I was a scientist.

Lots of really interesting thoughts here about where fatigue originates (hint: it's not from the muscle) and the difference between perceived fatigue and actual fatigue.

And maybe the most interesting of all: how the All Blacks rugby team deals with athletes' muscles cramping in the middle of matches. Can this technique be used in ultras (or anything). This is definitely something that I will experiment with during training

Please listen and let's discuss. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Science of ultra podcast are great.

The other one I enjoy and that I listen every episode about the Barkley when drove to TN was Ginger Runner. I like the race reports discussion.

Also enjoy the trail talk by rock Creek, these are funny :)

• Options

Love Science of Ultra! Probably my favorite podcast because it is based on data from researchers. (I am a scientist, or was). @Tim Sullivan started a thread earlier this year to discuss the podcast.

• Options

I just listened to episode related to cross training

My takeaways from this episode:

1) Hiking is considered cross-training, even if it happens during a run

2) the goal with hiking is to maximize your lowest speed so when you are low, your speed is "fast"

3) If you are strong hiker, this is a secret weapon as you can totally use your hiking muscles for a climb and once at the top, your running muscles are ready to start running vs someone that only use his running muscles

• Options

Nice- I will give this one a listen.

I would imagine that #3 this is the real benefit. Minimize the fatigue of the "running muscles"

"3) If you are strong hiker, this is a secret weapon as you can totally use your hiking muscles for a climb and once at the top, your running muscles are ready to start running vs someone that only use his running muscles"

• Options

I think all of the Science of Ultra episodes are great! Everyone in endurance should listen to them. They are helpful in general and not just for running.

• Options

thanks for the tip! I’m now subscribed.

• Options

Ironman is an ultra. “Walking with efficiency and focus” will cut many minutes off the finish time of most MOP athletes... but it must be trained.

• Options

There have been 3 "coaches corner" episodes recently and all three of the are great. One is the episode that FP recommended above. The other two are on performance metrics and speed work.

The one thing that really stuck with me is that for an ultra, the key question is "how fast is your slow?", where for a shorter race you would be asking how fast is your fast... This reminded me a lot of our focus on mile 18 and not slowing down in IM type events. The difference between an 8 minute trail mile and a 10 minute trail mile is not that great, but the difference between a 20 minute power hike mile and a 40 minute walking mile is huge.