Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2018 EN 8 Day Holiday Run Challenge

2»

Comments

• Options

2 miles post indoor bike

• Options

Another short brick after the Thur. NOS bike workout.

2mi ~TRP in 26 deg.=3 pts.

• Options

First run on new TM for cave. 3.1 mi easy=3 pts.

• Options

@Pat Morton , I joined team Cheer for me, I have no friends! We can do it!

• Options

Unfortunately, I am getting a late start in this challenge. Finally getting over this cold! Keep up the great work everyone! Yesterday 3 = 3 points, Today 6 on the TM=6 points.

• Options

Short 2 mi brick run on new TM after Sat. 2 hr bike session.

• Options

Steered clear of problems on the ski slopes... now to remain injury-free through the 2019 season. Fired up the Stryd/Zwift/TM combo. Now that’s control :-) 3mi at RTRP.

• Options

after working all night yesterday did 2.38 miles outside the hotel in Killeen... 25 minutes...

After working all night last night, napped at hotel, drove home after a vente late and...

jogged with the dog in the hood in the hills! OMG! hadn't done the Ladera Norte climb for a year and it was tough! 12% incline for a half a mile with a false flat and a short 15% to finish it off... I'm alive!!!!

• Options

Just 2 for me today ... after abbreviated Cruise & Crush ride ...

• Options

6.2 run in the neighborhood... I thought about doing some 400's at the middle school but ... well... next time!

one hour... too darn slow! nice and toasty (41 F)

• Options

1.12 miles... that was tough after the epic ride with @Larry Peters today! wow! thanks for being such an awesome sherpa today with the Violet Crown group ride!

• Options

Finished the run challenge and started 2019 with a 20 mile run! The challenge was a blast and the number of team members participating was awesome. Great job everyone! 🐢

• Options

Great work everyone! It was a blast riding with you @Patricia Rosen , thanks so much for showing me that monster Ladera Norte (North Slope) climb! By the way, Strava shows Ladera Norte being a lot steeper than 12-15% (they show it being up to 22%!!)!!

Woah @Virginia Edmonds , how can we compete with that!?!?

• Options

12/25-7.07 miles + 1 hour duration (833 feet of climbing) = 8 points

12/26-7.39 miles + 1 hour duration = 8 points

12/27-4.09 miles (417 ft climbing) = 4 points

12/28-3.03 miles (459 ft climbing)=3 points

12/29-4.01 mi (692 ft climbing)=4 points

12/30-4.02 mi (676 ft climbing) + 7.45 mi 1 hour duration =12 points (got my only KOM on morning run! 3'25" @ 438 Watts up steep climb.)

12/31-1.03 = 1 point

• Options

Does this statement about whole numbers only apply to mileage too? @Coach Patrick i.e, if we run 4.4 miles is that 4 points or 4.4 points?

• "1 additional point for each hour run (whole numbers only 1, 2, etc.)"
  • Options

Also, two suggestions for next year:

1) I think there should be points awarded for climbing. I know there are limitations with some tech giving poor readings (like @Coach Patrick old Garmin saying he climbing 20,000 feet per run), but this is on the honor system and people with those issues can figure out their situation. I think someone who runs 3 miles with 500 feet of climbing should get more credit than someone who runs 3 miles on a flat TM for example. I know some other teammates support this. Maybe 1 additional point for every 500 feet of climbing (whole numbers only)?

2) I think a 30 minute run in the morning and a 30 minute run in the evening should score equally to a 60 minute run. 2*30 minutes separated by at least 6 hours gives more focus on run frequency, yields more miles of quality running and yields more positive adaptations for connective tissue than a 60 minute run (from what I understand). Could a 2nd run in the same day separated from other runs by at least some time frame (maybe 6 hours) get an additional point to further encourage run frequency?

I know adding more complications to the scoring system has drawbacks. So if these suggestions are not incorporated in the future, I understand. But I at least want to bring them up for discussion and consideration.

I enjoyed the challenge and definitely ran extra as a result! Thanks team!

Thanks! Happy New Year everyone!

• Options

I also tried my first attempt at Strava art during the competition. EN proud.

• Options

Finished the 8 day run challenge...last 3 days have had a cold so I backed off a bit! First time ever running 8 days in a row!! Feel really good after do the 3 months of run durability. Was hoping for a 32 degree day but we only got to 34!! Pretty chilly for Northern California!!

• Options

did a quick 4 mile run... got up too late to do the 14 miler I had planned but still got to see my running group who were chowing down after their run...

@Larry Peters superb art work there! enjoyed meeting and riding with you! happy new year!

• Options

@virginia edmonds you are a monster runner!

• Options

Patricia, little do you know that you are my idol!

Full disclosure, I am training for a marathon at the end of the month. 20 was my scheduled long run for this week.

I feel like I need to keep the run streak going now. I don't usually run every day.

and I think the real run animal was Francis Picard! Check out his mileage

Still very impressed with everyone. Great participation and motivation!

• Options

Thanks a ton @Patricia Rosen ! Happy New Year to you too!

I agree! @Francis Picard is a real run animal! And he scored bonus points by enduring lots of miles in cold weather. Great work Francis!

• Options
    edited January 4, 2019 10:45AM

Congratulations everyone. There was some really nice work put in over the holiday season. Here are the results

Top 3 Point Earners

Francis Picard 136 points

Virginia Edmonds 76 points

Rory Gumina 72 points

Top Three Team

Team I Like Beer

Team Fudala

Team Rattler Rep

• Options

ummm, @Brenda Ross - someone broke the calculator cells and team "I like beer" was the winnah!!!

• Options

what's the prize for being the first one to comment "in" and then not participate at all.

Sorry guys, I was running but math isn't my strong suit 😀

• Options

@scott dinhofer - nah that is me not paying attention. The correction has been made. Thank you for catching that. @Patrick Large - all support is appreciated.