Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Pick my race... Ironman 70.3 or more local 70.3?

Hey everyone-  This summer will be my first 70.3 event.  I have not officially registered yet but I have been doing the work to hopefully set myself up for first time success.  Muncie (a 5 hour drive) is in mid July and that was what I was focusing on, but I just found out that there is a 70.3 distance event located an hour away from me, also in July.  I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each event and am looking for input.  The idea of having no travel stress, and much less expense is very appealing and causing me to lean towards racing the local event.  But I wonder if the Ironman event puts on a 'better' race experience that should be taken into consideration for my first time?  The local 70.3 event will also include Sprint and Oly distances.  Anybody want to weigh in on this? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Nikki - since it's your first, you should choose the type of experience that you want to have. Look at the results from the independent event and see how many people finished last year. If it is under several hundred then you need to ask yourself whether you want the big event with 2000+ or the small one. Would you prefer being out there with just a few others around you or lots of people. Bottomline, is that what constitutes a "better" race experience depends on the person; but the general market has already decided that IM provides a more consistent and quality experience than many independents which are rapidly disappearing as a result. I've done a number of independents and my first HIM this year will be an indie. But I also have lower expectations for those races in everything from course control to aid station manning. BTW, I live in Florida but I've done Muncie twice and it is well run.

• Options

I find the relaxed, low-key atmosphere of "local, independent races" ADDS to my sense of fun on race day. The bigger the race (not necessarily in participant numbers, but in price tag, distance traveled, ancillary costs like lodging), the more serious it feels, and the more stress I put on myself. For your first long course experience, especially after getting back in the game after some time off, I'd vote for a smaller, closer race. Unless there are only, say 30 people signed up - then I'd head for the Olympic there. I like *some* company with my misery

• Options
    edited January 5, 2019 1:41PM

Great points above from both Paul and Al. One thing to consider about Muncie is the bike course is basically closed, vs. an open course. One of my dear friends loves this course because of it (and she loves running hills and runs well in the heat!). Most smaller events will not have closed courses for a HIM.

I too have raced Muncie and its a very well run event, but my first was a local half with about 20 friends which made the race for me. But that is important to me...racing with my crew.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Options

Agree with @Al Truscott. Travel to an event is a stressor, as are 2000 athletes at the start. The bike course is particularly crowded, and unfortunately, many riders are untrustworthy. That’s the additional price of a race that is incredibly exciting and “worth the trip.” A field of 150+ will give you the support you need (bonus if you have some friends out there)... and you can get the swim, bike, run for 70.3 miles, before you add the additional cost of a “big race.” I raced at the Muncie Endurathon in the early 90’s before it “acquired” the Ironman brand. It was a challenging HIM back then too. (National LC Championship). Community support and excellence are what has made that race a legend. I support local independent races, because I want them to stick around... and give me additional options to spend some time with my triathlete friends, many of whom I only see at events. Good luck with your decision and race, but Muncie will be there whenever you decide to “toe the line.”

• Options

Thanks everyone for all the responses so far. You are bringing up great points that have all been part of my decision making process. The local independent event had just shy of 170 finishers last year in the 70.3 distance. There were others on the course as well doing a sprint and oly. I anticipate knowing a few of the competitors, but non that I would classify as training partners as I live an hour away from them. I have a great squad of running and cycling buddies but none that seem to have much desire to venture into triathlon. If the local event was one that I could do with a crew of friends, it would be a no-brainer which I would choose. I would gladly trade all the fanfare of the Ironman event to simply have the experience with my pals. I think my biggest concern with the local event is the lack of numbers and not wanting to feel like I am alone out there, especially on the run. I am weighing that against all the things that I consider cons about Muncie: 10 hours total travel time, expense of hotel, stress of packing, higher price tag for entry, convincing my husband he is supposed to go with me, etc. Another detail about the local event: the swim has been cancelled more than one time due to pollutants in the lake. Ew.

Living in the rural Midwest, there aren't a lot of endurance event options locally, so I do like to enter and support them when I can. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I didn't expect WHICH race to choose to feel like such an ordeal. Thank you all again for your thoughts!