Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

New Road Bike (Under $1,500) for my first 140.6!

Making the jump from 70.3 to 140.6 this year and wanted to step-up my bike game! Any recommendations for a road bike under/around $1,500? Eager for some expert/experienced feedback! Thanks in advance! -Matthew

Comments

• Options

Matthew

What drove your decision to upgrade to another road bike instead of getting a tri bike? What are you upgrading from?

My 2 cents and I'm far from an expert. $1500 (with a good sale) might get you an entry level carbon road bike from the major brands (Trek, Felt, Cervelo, etc.) with lower end components and basic wheels. I think most of the major brand, entry level carbon bikes are about the same with minor differences. The most important factor is finding a bike that fits you the best. You could go to 2 - 3 local bike shops and test ride different bikes.

Another option I'd suggest is buying a used tri bike. Check out Facebook Tri and Sell group, Craigs List, etc. There are lots of benefits to riding a tri bike especially in a 140.6.

Good luck.

• Options

Iโ€™m not sure why you would buy a road bike. I actually enjoy riding my triathlon bike as a road bike. I would look at used bikes. Much better deals.

• Options

Matthew,

Are you specifically looking for a road bike rather than a tri bike?

I'm not super familiar with the aero road category.

If you are also considering tri bikes, have you looked at the Specialized Shiv? They have several price points in that line and they are fairly highly adjustable for fit. With some luck you may be able to get your hands on a discounted bike from last year's model line.