Home General Training Discussions
Options

Base Layer: Synthetic or Merino Wool

OK Ultra boys- I am thinking 30 degrees. A long sleeved base layer and wind jacket.

What have you used? What Do you Like? Using it for running not hanging out at camp :)

thanks-

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

tough call.. for running my regular runs, i use all synthetics.

for skimo i have a suit, tops & bottoms that has a merino layer inside.. but I wear a synthetic top layer under under it... and skimo is much like ultra except the way down takes 5' (after an hour up) and you get colder on the down..

• Options

@scott dinhofer

" but I wear a synthetic top layer under under it..." -humm

This one will be tight against my skin, so taking your info, that's one for synthetics.

• Options

@Patrick Large - i've got different stuff for every temperature range. I can look at a thermometer and decide what to wear, when. Assuming you are going trail running, I'd want a small pack with an extra top layer. You will likely be warmer on the ups than the downs.. and need something to lock the heat you generate in and a bit warmer for the down..

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 4:55AM

Merino 250 wool is awesome and my best/favorite base layer when it's really cold. Make sure you see 250 in the title/description. I wear a long sleeve one in low to mid 30s temps (mild wind) as a base layer with a light second layer. I save it for the coldest runs, usually as a base layer. It also blocks most of the wind. I bought mine at REI and plan to get another one and joggers or tights.

Edited to add one caveat: I'm not an ultra runner but I do run a lot and through out the Winter.

https://www.rei.com/product/834628/smartwool-merino-250-base-layer-crew-top-mens

• Options

You said ultra boys... can girls answer?

For 30-40 degrees, I have a heavy-ish Underarmour shirt under and an Athletica overshirt. And underarmour tights and wool socks. Gloves and a hat at beginning, but usually come off after a few miles.

For 20-30degrees, I add a light wind jacket. For under 20, out come the fleece tights and a heavier jacket.

• Options

@Leslie Knight ... yes girls are always part of my "guys".... and usually give better advice.

I also really like under armor stuff. I dont think they get the props they deserve in the ultra world, but I am a fan of all their products.

• Options

I have used synthetics much of my adult life. I switched to merino wool for my first ultra and won’t go back. In 40 degree wet weather, I wore a short sleeve ice breaker wool t shirt and a light shell and was good all day. I also wore the light wool based gloves.

As it was explained to me, both synthetic and wool are designed to pull moisture from the skin. The wool will maintain warmth if needed but the synthetic will cool down when you do. Given the prospect of slowing down all day, that sounded like a winner to me. And this comes from a heavy sweater, hot running engine guy.

• Options

I prefer wool next to my skin vs synthetics. If it's below 30 I wear a short sleeve smart wool tee under the Patagonia Nano-Air light hybrid top. If it's below 20 I have a long sleeve smart wool zip neck shirt under the nano-air.

One other nice thing about wool is that it does not stink like synthetics do. I've found that most of the older synthetic stuff I have smells even when it's clean. Of course that may be a personal problem...

• Options

@Clark Mitchell, that is funny as I just pulled out a load of laundry (all running cloths) and mentioned to my wife that half of the pits in my shirts still smell like B.O. WTF man! Maybe a switch is needed.

• Options

I must be a lazy ass.. but I just wear synthetic t-shirts that are given in races. For socks, I wear merino socks.

As for the laundry and all that mess, I usually put them in the shower with me and all the soap and shampoo getting on it is enough to clean it.. and I let them dry on a rack in the shower (wife happy not to clean that stuff!) it seems to work as it doesnt smell.

As for coat I still use the 14 Chicago marathon race coat I bought at the expo, its perfect for cold weather, double layer.

• Options

btw, I've been using this for running & skiing, It's incredibly great.

• Options

Funny @Francis Picard@Francis Picard that is exactly what I do.

"I must be a lazy ass.. but I just wear synthetic t-shirts that are given in races. For socks, I wear merino socks."

maybe I am just a smells bastard! Even when coming straight from the washing machine they stink.

• Options

I’ve done winter running and snowshoeing, and have recently taken up winter hiking. For me, clothing choices depend on temperature, wind, and duration. For hiking, because I am going to be going at a slower pace for a much longer period of time (out in the wilderness where I have to carry everything with me), I’m very careful to not overheat and sweat early. The saying is, “be bold, start cold.” I have a very light, 100% merino wool base layer that I wear for almost every winter workout. From there, I primarily go with synthetic. I usually only do two layers on my legs, regardless of temps—I’ll go with some water and wind resistant tights over the wool. On top, a synthetic medium weight shirt over the wool if it’s really cold, and a shell. That’s what I wore last week for a hike that started at -14F and maybe got to single digits by the end. I was perfectly comfortable the whole time.

• Options

"That’s what I wore last week for a hike that started at -14F and maybe got to single digits by the end. I was perfectly comfortable the whole time."

@Alicia Chase you are such a badass

• Options

@Patrick Large I don’t know, I think people who can run on a TM more than an hr are pretty badass 😀 I’m entering my 60th year in upstate NY. You either embrace winter, or you move south. It’s all about the clothes. As for the aroma issue, I haven’t solved that one. My synthetic stuff comes out of the washer and dryer smelling fine, but when I sweat—esp sports bras (a problem you guys don’t have)—ugh! I’m replacing them with wool one at a time $$$$.