Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

camp week by Eugene Partridge

I am 6 weeks out from IM AZ, good weather boads well, to get er done.

Cycle/run Friday will be going by myself so will keep my distance down to 75-80 miles with 112 on Saturday, I will have a cycle partner for that 2nd Saturday longer ride. Looking forward to 1 hour brick after.

there are no flat sections around my house, so will ride the hills, much different than in AZ, I figure the hills can only help. I did recon two twenty mile section that are flat for my 56 mile two loop ride.

Swim test on wokr best to do indoors, Water temps in local lake right at 60 so a bit too cool, so swim will be in pool.I do have two coached indoor swim sessions prior to swim test , only problem is those distances come up short about 25-2800 yards, Thursday will go 4000 yards. Maybe today.

Ready to roll, results can be viewed on STRAVA,Just thought I would share :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the heads up! And the data on Strava looks good. I prefer that you ride on hills versus just the flats, the only difference is that on race day you have to be willing to stay super aero!

There are only a few more key workouts to go, which leads me to my next question: how is your nutrition execution going? I want to make sure you are ready to give it 100% of your effort on Race day.

• Options

On each 56 mile ride one liter of gator aid for each hour. Over the 3 hours 1 liter of perpetuem for each 56 miles and repeat 2nd half. I have one protein power bar each 56 and eat two gel each hour over my ride.

my wife does my calculations on calories use and expended for me.

The run is a little more confused and I eat and drink everything except water. I take gator aid mostly on 1st half and switch to coke and red bull last 10 K :) I love gel and can get down about 1 every two hours, maybe once in a while a prezel or two. I will scour the forums for more advice on nutrition. Any thoughts from you?

Coach P: Huge Congrats on your race at Kona, very inspirational stuff. :)

• Options

Thanks for the information. I think your overall plan looks good. My only feedback is just that the later you go in the day the harder it is to consumer calories, so don’t be afraid to space out the gels more or even back off them entirely in favor of the Gatorade Endurance. Your body truly needs liquids and the Endurance does come with calories in sodium which is beneficial. For me my nutrition plan always works well for about 3 1/2 hours. After that I have to start making some decisions about what is and is not important as I adjust expectations for the rest of the ride and into the run.

I don’t see any sodium From a pill or any other external source in your plan. Do you carry salt at all? We recommend that you do.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback!, yes I use S Caps electrolyte supplement prior to
    Iron man 341 mg sodium this works well sometimes @ 2nd dose @ mile 13. I
    have received some great advise from Sheila Laird & have reduced my gels.
    Ran a 13.2 race following her guidance
    “Yea run me”. 1:58 trending faster.
  • Options

Woohoo!! I love how you are such a student of our sport and Are continually tweaking to improve. A role model for sure!

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options

I am currently in the run focused phase of our season. Currently my plan for my first race, is Iron Man 70.3 Honu Kona Hawaii. Race date 1 June 2019.

Three positive outcomes this week. Swim speed continues to improve, I believe this is due to my overall fitness, and recovery from Iron Man Arizona.

My run speed continues to lower, although still below a goal of around 8.5 to 9.5 mph.

My overall general health is good, currently without any injuries, and my energy level is back to normal, A major component to my energy is good nutrition, and plenty of sleep at night.

Three things to work on. I need to do a better job with my discipline of staying with in the parameters of the workouts posted, too eager to go further.

My run speed is still slow come would like to be running around a nine minute mile at this point instead of 11 minutes per mile, will work on faster cadence and running with others who are quicker

Slow on the bike: I plan to improve my cadence and wattage, while doing my Swift workouts each week, plenty of time to find speed and watch

• Options

Before you just add intensity, remember you can do a few more strides on the run, and spinups on the bike. Sometimes this burst of higher speed from RPMs is enough to stimulate your system. Let’s try a few of those for each of those workouts this week.

• Options
    @Coach Patrick. Yes! More strides on the run& higher speed from rpm’s.
    Thanks for looking @ my week.
  • Options

Of course! Always happy to help. I appreciate how much detail you put into your training and want to support you as much as possible.