Home General Training Discussions
Options

Shoe Size- For Ultras, trail, road, etc

A little set up before the question:

My dress shoe size is a US size 13 (although I haven't bought new dress shoes in years), but all my running shoes are US size 14.

I have never bought shoes at full price. I have used either team discounts, personal special discounts, or buy last seasons models/colors and buy 4 at a time

I run exclusively in Saucony. Not sure why, but they work. I rotate different models (firm, cushion, etc), but all Saucony.

I keep my toenails super short. Yes there is one that is perma-black, but most of the time I will get a small blister/callus on the tip of my toes rather than dead toenails.

My second toe is longer than my big toe.

Although I lace my shoes in a way to keep the heel from slipping forward, my toes seem to be hitting the front of the shoes more often these days. One day my trail shoes just seemed to be down right small! Not getting tight, but more like "WTF, who stole my shoes."

(Getting close to the question I promise)

I recently bought a pair of Kinvara 6 (on discount) and accidentally bought a US 15 not a US 14. I had to pay for shipping to get them and will have to pay shipping to return if II choose to. Keep in mind discount. Paying for shipping 3 times kind of negates the "discount" I tried them on in the house and they were indeed big. BUT my toes were HAPPY with all the room.

I am torn between keeping them and just returning them for a US 14.

These are strictly road shoes, so I don't need to worry about the tip getting caught on roots, stumps, rocks, etc on the trail. But at what point is too big too big??

And maybe an extra question for the usual #Ultratrail guys/gals. Do your trail shoes sizes differ at all from your road shoes?

Sorry guys I know it took a while to get to the question, but I thought the preceding info was important.

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I've never had money saving coming from continuing with the wrong shoes turn out well for me.   Quite the opposite, in fact. 

(because you framed the question in terms of negated savings etc etc). 

• Options

My shoe sizes are the same, unless the shoes are particularly narrow (which I typically don’t buy anyway because I hate the feeling of crunched toes). It sounds like your shoes are a half size too small.

• Options

for the record and so we can shut this one down.

I decided to keep the Size 15 and my toes have never been happier with me. My only concern was that the extra maybe 1 cm in shoe would somehow affect my gate, but it does nothing of the sort.

Super happy and this may be my new size :)

• Options

I know I’m late here, but I think bigger is better unless you are tripping. I love Saucony for road shoes and wore out my 6s and my 9s are on the way (I save money by buying last year’s model also). I like plenty of room and there’s a whole thumb width between the end of my toe and the end of the shoe. I’ve never lost a nail to a shoe problem.

Interstingly, years ago, when I first started distance running, I went to a race and forgot my shoes! A guy on the team had an extra pair, so I wore his size 12s (I wear men’s 8) and set a PR.