Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Robert Hiller Official Coach Thread 2018

edited April 25, 2018 8:48PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

@bob hiller

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I had partial replacement surgery on left knee in August 2017.  Then, because I enjoyed anesthesia so much I had my L3-4 (lumbar) fused in December 2017.  This stabilized that joint and eliminated referred pain into my left thigh and hip.  Since those surgeries I have walked a great deal, up to 9 miles at a time, done knee and back exercises regularly, and biked on my trainer 1-2 times per week, usually :45-1:30 each session.  These have been workouts, not just spinning.  I have not tested yet, but I would estimate my FTP at about NP 190w. 

Your Races

• 11/11/18 USAT National AquaBike Championships (Miami, FL), Half distance

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Final Surge site. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on April 25, 2018
  • On 4/23/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 7/29/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 7/2/2018 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/12/2018
  • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- AquaBike, 20wks to end on 11/18/2018
  • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/2/2018

Coach Notes

Full details in this online video for you, but basically I want you to use the OutSeason plan, Level 1 workouts, as a template for moving forward with your fitness...then we exit a bit early into the Bike Focus plan (longer workouts!) and then the last 14 weeks of the Aquabike plan. 

>> Watch the Full Video here

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

@robert hiller -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Ok, here you go. Sorry this took so long, but I really appreciate you sending along your races again for me to give them a second look. I have outlined your season below in think it's the perfect combination of progress over time with intensity on the bike. Particularly the midseason "bike focus block" which should really boost your cycling fitness. For now I think you should continue modifying out season plan as you have done so, but please bump me before you go to the short course plan as I will certainly make edits to that to accommodate you. Onwards!

Your Races

• June 16 HFP's Maumee Bay (near toledo) Oly
    • July 7 red, white & zoom "1/3 iron" (s. 2000 meters, b. 36.6 miles) (very close to my home in Ohio)
    • November 10 USAT Nat'l AG Champs, MiamiMan Half Aquabike (s.1.2, b. 56).

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/22/2019
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/29/2019 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/7/2019
    • On 7/8/2019 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/18/2019
    • On 8/19/2019 Load the -- AquaBike, 12wks to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/24/2019

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Patrick,

Thanks for the updated SP. I have a couple of questions. No hurry.

1. You have me doing the swim camp from 4/15-4/29. I have already started swimming and I am up to 3x/week. I plan to be swimming more than 6,000 yards/wk by next week, most of my workouts have intervals and pulling with paddles, pull buoy and an old bike inner tube around my ankles. The tube keeps me honest and builds character. I don't think the swim camp is necessary for me.
    2. You have me loading the Short Course, 20 weeks on 4/29 to end on 7/7. If I am not looking at this incorrectly, to end on 20 wks on 7/7, I would need to begin on 2/17. Also, is the "Short Course" for triathlons and I would just leave out the running?
    3. You have me loading the Aquabike 12 weeks on 8/19 to end on 11/20 (my "A" race date). Looking at the Aquabike plans, they are all 20 weeks. Do I do the last 12 weeks of the appropriate 20 week plan?

Thanks again,

Bob Hiller

• Options

Thank you for reaching out. These are all good questions. I understand that you are already swimming, swim camp is not only an opportunity to boost rebellion, but to recovered from The OS. You might not need two weeks, but you should at least take one!

Regardless of how long our training plans are, you always lose the To end on a race and then do the remaining workouts to that race. For example, if your race is 12 weeks away On a 20 week plan, you are only doing the last 12 weeks of that plan. Each plan Is designEd to operate in a standalone fashion, but as a member of the team receiving coaching, you get a more dynamic schedule.

Yes, right now he short course plan triathlon specific. Once I we write them for 2019, I plan to create An AquaBike version. I might need a reminder on that!:-)

Just as above, yes you do the final weeks into that please know if you have any other questions

~ Coach P

• Options
    Got it. Thanks. Bob

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

💪 Keep up the great work! You are doing really well. While I think of it, you should definitely try and connect with @Joe Hallatschek because he is also a very solid aqua biker.

• Options
    I’ll do that. He may have some ideas you and I haven’t thought about. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Sounds good, please keep me posted.