Home Community Forum 🏠

2019 Seminar Planning [Pick Your Top 3 Topics]

edited February 17, 2019 10:13PM in Community Forum 🏠

Ok folks, time to plan out the 2019 year of content. One of the most exciting changes from 2018 was the SEMINAR concept that evolved out of the great work our Boomer community has done (See here).

The format is simple.

1. Get a topic.
  2. Set a moderator.
  3. Invite folks to participate in a video call.
  4. Everyone gets to present 2 to 3 minutes what they know about the topic.
  5. After everyone has presented, the Moderator opens time for Q & A. Participants can deep dive from here.
  6. The entire session is recorded and presented back to the Team.

This is a much faster way to share knowledge and deep dive on a topic...and it's more fun as well!

1. Suggest Topics By 1/21/19 - http://bit.ly/2GPjJkQ
  2. ✅ Select preferred topics - https://goo.gl/forms/F7LgkQWMQM9aucvk1
  3. [ ] Set dates and Choose Moderators

~ Coach P

Comments

1. Ultra Running- planning , training, nutrition, gear, pacing, execution, crew, drop bags, logistics
    2. Ultraman Triathlon- same as #1
    3. SwimRun/SOS multi transition racing
    4. STRYD PM- testing, set up, training/racing
    5. WKO4 Program- same as #4

• If I make it a touch more generic than @tim cronk I would go with methods of analysis. In particular when you are trying to up your game, what and how do you use it to better prepare yourself for game day.

• • Stryd Best Practices: Use in training and racing

• Integrating non-standard elements into EN long course training plans: e.g., shorter races instead of interval workouts; half-marathons instead of long runs; proper use of 5-7 day bike camps (not the weekend camps already in plans).

•Training and Racing to Not Slow Down in an IM Marathon: mental and physical preparation and execution (I know, this is already a big part of our model, but so many people have so many problems with achieving this)

• Tips and Tricks to enable daily consistency in workouts in the midst of Real Life Curveballs.

• edited January 3, 2019 3:59PM

I'd like Devashish Paul to do a guest seminar called “what’s Dev Paul thinkin’.” Wait ... that’s the slowtwitch forum, every day. never mind.

What I would love to see ... as a one-off topic, or as a monthly topic, or as a biannual topic, is a “what’s coming out in endurance sports research that’s relevant to the way we train and race in EN.” For example ... about eight months ago, there was a publication of some work suggesting that endurance athletes might more favourably adapt to VO2 work if it’s done every two weeks, instead of weekly. For t8me/tss/otherwise limited athletes, That’s compelling stuff, and lots of us would probably pay attention. Maybe it’s garbage research. Or maybe it leads to a robust, full and Frank discussion in the forum. Or maybe it has real value that informs changes to the programs, and the rising tide of knowledge raises all boats.

(Notionally, maybe EN hires a kid in an exercise phys program to comb research for a few hours every Saturday morning, and s/he occasionally presents some of the more interesting and relevant stuff in a EN seminar. And it’s done in the spirit of “you’re self coached athletes, and generally follow a reverse periodized plan/Philosophy, and as a researcher in sports phys, I believe these studies and findings are pretty interesting and on point  ... and I’ve even dumbed them down for short-attention span guys like Dave Tallo, and the rest of you erudite athlete-scholars can learn more at link x or Journal Y. )

Also, a seminar on how to use Golden Cheetah to do the basic stuff that WKO 3 used to do would be awesome.

Lastly, I’ve always wanted to learn to spell Connecticut. A seminar on that would be cool. (Ok, that’s a quote from Woody Allen in “Small Time Crooks.”)

• Along the lines of @Dave Tallo 's thoughts on current opinions, I would like to revisit the Boomer discussion on how to modify workouts, how much HITTS is really necessary to avoid VO2 decline, thoughts on a 2 week on - one week off training plan to promote less fatigue.

• I often see this asked in race reports or to Coach P. "How to analyze HIM/IM Race (or big training day) TP/Strava data files" To include on the bike: how to determine if you rode steady or too hard, what should HR chart look like. How to know if you started the bike leg too fast. What does VI, Pr:hr and EF in TP mean and what are good/bad ranges. Same for the run. Basically, how to look at all this data and determine how well or poorly the race was executed per EN guidelines.

• @Derrek Sanks There's nothing holding any of us back from starting a thread with one of our better (or worse) performances, and asking for some observations and feedback. I know I've learned a lot from trying to figure out what went wrong in some IM races. I usually discover that a very granular look into the data (almost minute-by-minute) usually pinpoints precisely what mistake(s) I made, when and where.

• I'd like to learn more about heart rate variability (HRV) as this topic seems to be getting a lot of press lately (along with various measuring tools such as apps, oura rings, etc.) for endurance athletes. I believe I am getting better at listening to my body and resting when needed, but admittedly my preference is likely to still do a workout rather than take a day off.

I think a good discussion could be had as to how to effectively incorporate in the EN plans (i.e., if I took a day off when the plan called for Workout A, should I do Workout A or Workout B on my next training day)

• I want someone to run me through, from start to finish, soup to nuts, how to set up and use my Stryd that has been collecting dust. I've been too lazy with it for too long!

• Okay team...time to vote on our 2019 Seminar topics..here is the form you can use, pick your top three choices By February 5th and we'll sort out the selections and proceed from there!

https://goo.gl/forms/F7LgkQWMQM9aucvk1

Thanks for your support!

~ Coach P

• edited February 17, 2019 10:42PM

Team!!! Your Responses are in...here is the chart...Seminar Times and Info follows below...Or you can bounce to the Team Calendar and look for the upcoming Seminar information.

Here are the Top Six Topics

1. [2/28/19] "Methods of analysis. In particular when you are trying to up your game, what and how do you use it to better prepare yourself for game day?" RSVP Here: http://bit.ly/2BFTc4t / Moderator NEEDED
    2. [3/28/19] "Training and Racing to Not Slow Down in an IM Marathon: mental and physical preparation and execution (I know, this is already a big part of our model, but so many people have so many problems with achieving this)" RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2BGyrW7 / Moderator NEEDED
    3. [4/25/19] "Integrating non-standard elements into EN long course training plans: e.g., shorter races instead of interval workouts; half-marathons instead of long runs; proper use of 5-7 day bike camps (not the weekend camps already in plans)." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2BDXKrK / Moderator NEEDED
    4. [5/23/19] "How to analyze HIM/IM Race (or big training day) TP/Strava data files" To include on the bike: how to determine if you rode steady or too hard, what should HR chart look like. How to know if you started the bike leg too fast. What does VI, Pr:hr and EF in TP mean and what are good/bad ranges. Same for the run. Basically, how to look at all this data and determine how well or poorly the race was executed per EN guidelines." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TUPZEW / Moderator NEEDED
    5. [6/27/19] "Revisit the Boomer discussion on how to modify workouts, how much HITTS is really necessary to avoid VO2 decline, thoughts on a 2 week on - one week off training plan to promote less fatigue." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TY4J6k / Moderator NEEDED
    6. [7/25/19] "Ultra Running- planning , training, nutrition, gear, pacing, execution, crew, drop bags, logistics" RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TVkTNM / Moderator NEEDED

Dates = Fourth Thursday bf the Month 9pm EST / 6pm PST

Location: These will be video calls in Zoom; ideally you call in with video capacity.

Process:

• EN will publish the links to the Team Calendar...you RSVP if interested.
    • There will be a Forum thread for each topic, and it will define the Basic outline and instructions.
    • Each Seminar needs a Moderator to keep the discussion on point. Moderators will receive one month of free membership as thanks for helping lead the discussion.
    • The moderator will start the meeting on the video call, introduce the topic and participants. There will be a chance for each participant to Present their Info and/or experience (less than three minutes per person). The Moderator will take brief notes from each so as to Facilitate future discussion.
    • After all presenters have spoken, the moderator can present the first question (or call for one from the members)? There will be up to five (5') minutes available to discuss each question, before moving to the next question.
    • The meeting can continue up until the 60 minute mark (start to finish) and should only continue beyond that point if the majority of participants agree to continue.
    • When the seminar is over, the Moderator should notify Coach Patrick via email So he can process the video. Any / all notes should be included with the email to Coach P.
    • Coach P will assemble all of the Seminar contents and post them to make them accessible to the Team.
  • Thanks for organizing these!

• Does signing up equal being a presenter? Can one sign-up and just listen to the session?

• @Coach Patrick , i should've added you to my above message. Does signing up equal being a presenter? Can one sign-up and just listen to the session?

• I think I signed up for #s 2,3,4,5, and have been drafted for #1. I could moderate #4; I'm afraid I'd hog the other topics and be a poor moderator...

• @Coach Patrick I can moderate session 2 if you would like. I'll even head out and get a camera so people can see my face.

@Jeff Phillips Don't think of this as being a presenter like it's all formal. Presenters are only taking 2-3 minutes initially. The idea is to share what has worked for you, a key point or two could be all you add but it might lead to an important discussion on the deep dive section of the discussion.