Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Steve Cogger Official Coach Thread

edited December 15, 2017 12:40PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Finished IMMT in 12:55:ish

Run fitness: After a few weeks recovery I’ve been in run durability. Started at 18 Miles/week goal. I’m now 9 weeks in and aiming for 22 miles/week. Overshot by a couple miles last week. Currently on day 38 of the 2 mile/day(minimum) run streak. Mostly at TRP (8:45)

Bike: I’ve been aiming for 2 zwift rides per week. My last tested ftp was 233 and that still feels challenging but not “kill me” challenging. I've done one race on zwift (c) and looking forward to more.

I feel my bike has lots of room for improvement. IMMT I had a goal of 6:30, ended up with a 6:45 including a flat tire. I’d love to get the bike closer to the 6:00 range next year.

Swim: not actively swimming, but I am pretty steady 1:15-1:20 Ironman swimmer.

I have completed 8 ironman's, but last year was the first year I trained properly through the entire season. 

Your Races

Main Race:

Ironman Mont Tremblant (2018-08-19) #IMMT_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  On 12/11/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/7/2018

• On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018

• On 4/30/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 06/03/2018

• On 6/04/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 8/19/2018

• On 8/20/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/16/2018

• On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/14/2018      

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/e96ur7yyj1?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited December 13, 2017 9:48PM
    Thanks Coach, I’m looking forward to a great year. I entered on the form but don’t see it here that I m also registered for Rev3 Quassy half on 6/3/18. I do this one mainly because it is close to home and don’t have any specific goals for it.

Based on this intel should I adjust when the half IM plan starts or ends? Should I have a goal for Quassy that I should train towards? 

Thanks!
  • Options
     Let me look into it today and update your season roadmap. I had to do some changes to the code so it should be showing on the website now under the reception. My guess is that you will still exits from camp and jump right into the half plan for Quassy. 
  • Options
    Hi Coach. Happy New Years! Next week I will be starting the intermediate run durability out season as you suggest.

I will need to modify the schedule and would like your input please. My weekly schedule always has me away from home on (In NYC) Mondays and Tuesdays. I figure the FTP work on the bike is very important and would rather do that at home on my kickr. 

When I am in NY I have access to a gym. They have spin bikes, treadmill, pool, and everything else you would expect at a gym. 

Last year, I simply swapped the Thursday 30/30 workouts and did those on spin bikes Tuesday am. And then when I was home on Thursday I did the prescribed Tuesday FTP work. The only downside was that I did not have any power data on the spin bikes. 

Is this a good approach or would you suggest a different modification?

Thanks!
  • Options
    That is a pretty good approach, but how about this: can you bump the week back a day so that your Tuesday ride is actually Wednesday morning, if Thursday right is Friday morning and Saturday is Sunday? Depending on your plan, this could put a decent run onto your Monday. Will that work for you?
  • Options

@Stephen Cogger - Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Steve great to hear from you, and even better to hear you are on the mend. I am smiling, Slightly, as I two had the same issue with pain. Mine was even dumber...my seat slipped as I incorrectly tightened the bolt after racing and traveling home last year. I was literally THREE INCHES TOO LOW. So, while that doesn't help you out I hope it gives you some perspective...we all do it! ONWARDS!

I like the idea of you restarting the OS now. I have effectively laid out an OS (10 wks only) where you exit into the Full plan to get some volume. We could use one of those early weeks to be specifically bike focused to gain a real boost; but let's see how things evolve in the OS itself.

The bike Q here is the run volume. I really want you to start slowly...here's what I am thinking for you:

• 4 x 2 mile runs
    • 2 x 2, 2 x 3 mile runs
    • 4 x 3 mile runs
    • 2 x 2, 2 x 4 mile runs.
    • 4 x 4 mile runs...then you can start adding volume from here on out...
    • All of this ^above^  is contingent on you not feeling run pain; so consider it a first draft.

Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• 07/13/2019 Olympic Tri - Litchfield Hills Triathlon
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2019-08-25) #IMMT_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/25/2019
    • On 2/25/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/2/2019
    • On 5/5/2019  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/18/2019
    • On 8/19/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019

Your Notes

Hi Coach P,

This is my 3rd consecutive year with EN. I have been pretty over the past 2 years and PR'd IMMT last year. Hit my goal of a 6 hr bike, but the run went downhill due to poor heat management on the bike (I think). Swim is what it is, just shy of 1:20:00 per usual.

I started this year with the January OS, but it has not been going well. My lower back has been giving me problems to the point that running was causing terrible pain. So my runs have been very short (2-5 miles/week). Plus I had more than normal work travel in January and our house got hit with the flu early February. So I don't feel like I have really been following the OS.

Good news is I discovered the cause of the pain was my bike fit on the trainer. I loaded up my outside bike on the trainer and rode the past few days and no pain. (I use an old bike on the trainer)

I'm feeling ready to run again and am more comfortable on my bike.

I had not submitted a season rodmap for 2019 so I thought this might be the better aproach rather than just asking in the forums.

Should I start the OS over now that I solved my back pain issue? I'd really like to get my bike faster again this year and only have one key race on the schedule (IMMT).

My dream goal for this years IM would be to get the bike well under 6hours and my run closer to 4hours. (4:15-4:30) Marathon PR is a 3:45ish.I've sustained 2-3 indoor trainer rides a week. Either Zwift ABP style, EN OS workout erg mode, or sufferfest videos erg mode.

Running has tanked over the past 2 months to 2-5miles/week. But I am feeling better and ready to slowly build that back up. Historically I feel better in general when my running is around 20-25 miles/week

I have not been swimming recently, but do have easy access to an endless pool that I plan on using soon for short yet consistent swim sessions.

Yoga 2-3 times/week

Strength 2-3 times/week

Thanks Coach!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P