Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jimmy Anis Official Coach Thread

@Jimmy Anis

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Jimmy, great to have you on the Team for the Winter months. Our top goal is to get you back on track for the 2019 season by capitalizing on the quality rest post your solid race at IMLOU. Ideally we continue your build on the bike (sub 6!?) and continue to improve the run through our Run Durability approach.

The way we'll do this is by working in our OutSeason Program for January, which will really get you focused through quality bike WKOs and consistent running. You can join the Text Group for the OS online here: https://groupme.com/join_group/46887690/eA84FO

When we talk ,we can dive into your year in more detail. Please set up a call with me when you can!!! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• 06/16/2019    Marathon (26.2 mi) Manitoba Marathon, Wpg., MB, Canada
  • 07/20/2019 Half Iron distance Hecla Half Iron, Hecla Island, Manitoba, Canada
  • 09/08/2019 (half iron distance) Square Lake Triathlon, Minnesota, USA
  • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Final Surge website. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/14/19
  • On 1/14/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/21/2019
  • > Transition Early <
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 5/26/2019
  • On 5/27/2019 Load the EN Half Run Focused to end on 07/20/2019
  • On 7/21/2019 Load the Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 08/03/2019
  • On 8/4/2019 Load the EN Full Bike Focused to end on 11/24/2019 (train through Square Lake)
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

most recent race completed was IM Louisville...official time of 11 hrs 16 mins (swim was shortened to .9 miles)

took a couple of weeks off after race and have continued to work out but just a maintenance...not anything structured....working on increasing my bike wattagestill working out 6 days/wk average of 10-12 hrs

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

Comments

• Options

@Jimmy Anis - okay brother, great to talk...hoping you can keep in touch with me here via this forum thread as it's the best place to do so.

A bunch of thoughts for you from our call:

1. Continue working on the swim. I don't think you need to swim more than 2x a week, and we want to keep it all fairly short in the OutSeason Plan. Consider this your "active recovery" from all those marathon miles.
    2. Learning how to ride the bike in a race is a real challenge. You should absolutely see our Racing HIM guidance here: Racing Central
    3. Love that you are on power. Spend some time over in the Power & Pace Forum to get your geek on...lots to learn here! 1.7K Power and Pace ⚡

Let me know what else I missed!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Likewise enjoyed our talk and thanks for the advice. I know I have a lot to learn still. I will be a sponge and try to learn as much from you and the team to continue to improve in this sport!

• Options

@Jimmy Anis

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

Felt that I haven’t improved in my run or bike

I do feel less stress about my swim form but haven’t been swimming because it’s not on my schedule . I’m the type of person that needs to see it scheduled to perform the task.

Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Jimmy Anis - I checked your tests....interesting how high your run HR was in Test 1, but you couldn't hold it in Test 2. Were they both on the treadmill? Your HR was good for 8-ish minutes, and then you Had to dial it back. I'd be curious to see if a better warm up could help (20 mins of jogging) and if we built your testing by mile.

I can't compare the bike test to your prior one, but I think you are on the right path with your work and consistency. If you'd prefer to talk, I can do it after this next week (school vacation), here's the link: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options
    edited February 15, 2019 11:02PM

Thanks for the feedback! The reason I backed off the run was more fr body fatigue and I’ve been having sore knee issues for several wks now. Also there has been a big change in my work schedule I have gone fr a Monday to Friday straight 8 hr days to a shift worker. I now work days evenings nights and 10 hr long shifts . I do have more days off but I’m finding this transition tough on my body right now. But no excuses I will get to work! I know I’m order to get faster I need to hit my workout goals!

• Options

@Jimmy Anis - saw your post above and thought this thread might be a good read. I would maybe create a post in the Question and Answer central and see what kind of feedback you get from the Wickedly Smart members. I am sure that @Coach Patrick will weigh in as well. It would be helpful if you had a rough idea of the shirts so they could provide you with more feedback. Hope this helps.

Brenda

• Options

Txs Brenda!

• Options

@Jimmy Anis

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!