Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andy Spratley - Marathon & Tri Training

Coach P, just an initial post. Have to travel back to San Diego Monday. By next Friday will flesh out what I desire to accomplish during 2016; but, here are the highlights:

1) A-Race - Santa Rosa Marathon, Sunday, August 28th. Goal is to qualify for Boston needing a sub-3:30.

2) B-Race - Ryanman 70.3, Sunday, October 2nd. Goal is to have good time with friends (Mississippi race) and show quality improvement on all 3 legs compared to my 2015 Augusta IM70.3 which was a very uneven or very sloppy 5:25:54.

3) Tri Season Goals - Increase skill level, efficiency and speed of all 3 legs.  So, I'm not specifically training for Ryanman.  It's my interpretation I'm training for short course.

4) General Goals - I have the most decrepit tendons known to human kind; but, no more injuries. Over next 2-to-3 weeks will research developing post workout and weekly regiments that will maximize recovery. They have to be simple, compact and complete.

Comments

• Options
    Andy, love where you are at. Please check into Leigh's site (www.athletestreatingathletes.com) for info on self care, it's incredible. And enlist the Team to help you figure out anything else on that front in the Medical Help Forum (http://bit.ly/1re0YKU). Please keep me posted on next steps!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So Great to have you "back on track" with the triathlon stuff. Kudos to you on that marathon performance; as we noted, there's only so much you can do with super quality / hard running and staying healthy. IOW, there's a balance we need to strike; we can help you do that with more of a tri focus and hopefully not sacrifice any of that baseline run speed (keep it where you can Freshen it up in a few weeks and you are all set!). 👍

I have you finishing out the Bike Focus plan, right into the "end" of the Short Course plan for your Oly-ish event. Then we are off to a bit of recovery and the full build to SuperFrog. This gives you time to:

1. Get strong on the bike
    2. Get fast bike and run
    3. Add volume to the bike and run relative to the half.

Let me know what you think...in the meantime I have added the Short Course plan to fit the dates ^above^ , but you'll need to do the rest! Here's a link how and we can help you if needed! https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

Your Races

• 06/02/2019 (Triathlon - Olympic-ish) Heatwave Classic Triathlon
    • 07/14/2019 (Run) Scripps Ranch 10K
    • 08/19/2019 (Triathlon - International Distance) Chula Vista Challenge
    • Ironman 70.3 Superfrog (2019-09-15) #70.3Superfrog_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/27/2019
    • On 2/25/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/7/2019
    • On 4/8/2019  Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 6/2/2019
    • On 6/3/2019  Load the    Swim Camp to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/77011874/results

Races I trained for:

2018 California International Marathon (CIM) - December 2nd - 3:15:13 (9 weeks of focused training)

2018 IM Augusta 70.3 - September 23rd - 5:33:16 (Wasn't a true focused effort.)

2018 Scripps Ranch 10K - July 4th - 40:14 (4 weeks of focused training)

2018 Los Angeles Marathon - March 18th - 3:23:43 (13 weeks of focused training)

Pretty good fitness; but, not in sharp or top notch condition. There is a 2 year story behind it.

2017 was focused on recovering from several 2016 injuries, including 2 high hamstring strains, a lower abdomen strain, a calf strain. But, 2017 started with me getting flipped off my bike by a dog in the Mississippi Gulf Coast country side which took a couple of months to get right hip and ribs to heal. The rest of 2017 was just getting my run fitness back while maintaining a base bike and swim effort. Big 2017 races were IM Superfrog and the Santa Rosa marathon. Not great efforts, but regained my endurance.

2018 was about qualifying for Boston 2019 and getting my run speed back. Big races were Los Angeles Marathon, IM Augusta 70.3, CIM. Accomplished my run goals, buuuut…

2019 was to be about hammering Boston 2019 with the remainder of the year focused on Triathlons; but, 2 weeks after CIM, I jump started Boston training only to strain my chronic right adductor, lower abdomen and generally beat up my pelvic floor. As of today (2/26/2019), just about all is almost healed and when I kickoff my 2019 Triathlon season all will be healed.Pretty good fitness; but, not in sharp or top notch condition. 2 weeks after 2018 CIM, I jump started Boston training only to strain my chronic right adductor, lower abdomen and generally beat up my pelvic floor. Thus, 2nd week of January had to shut down running and eventually canceled Boston 2019.

The past 6 weeks has been a muddled mess of getting my bike legs in shape and trying to get the swim going all the while sustaining a base strength training effort.

The next 6 weeks will be using the EN Triathlon Bike focus planned to get my bike legs into race shape while easing back into running with 3-to-4 easy runs per week, with 2 runs each week via an AlterG treadmill. In case of swim, once a week working with Coach Kendyl Stewart (see Olympic team) to strip down my swim and rebuild it. Also, will swim 3 times per week (1800-to-2400 yards), including one of the Triathlon Club of San Diego's OWS swims. For strength, working with a personal trainer once a week to do the same as the swim, strip it down and rebuild it.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P