Home WSM Admin

2019 WSM Nominations Anyone?

edited December 23, 2019 1:51AM in WSM Admin

Hey kids, this is for WSMs only...wanted to see if you had any other names for us to consider.

Here is the short list:

• Sheila Leard (nutrition guru, all round awesome person!)
  • Rob Peters (enthusiasm level 11 and super smart academic).

Anyone else we might be missing? I'd appreciate you chiming in by the end of this week...

@Jenn Edwards @John Withrow @Dave Tallo @Rich Stanbaugh @tim cronk @Al Truscott @Gordon Cherwoniak And others....

Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 14, 2019 4:31PM

Hey @Coach Patrick , good stuff. Echo the sentiments above. If we were to think about overall helpfulness and experience with an ultra perspective, maybe consider Brian Hagan?

• I'd wholly endorse Shelia and Brian Hagan.

I love Rob Peters and agree that his enthusiasm is at an 11 (and he's always positive), and he's improved a ton and has gotten much fitter/stronger in just the past year. And I also actually consider him a personal friend. But I think he's still in the "asking a ton more questions than he answers" phase of his Endurance Sport journey... And I personally think most WSM's are well past that stage.

• For me, one of the big criteria is experience-based breadth and depth of knowledge about long-distance triathlon. Another, of course, is willingness and ability to help others. And a third, I suppose, is demonstrated commitment to Endurance Nation as a learning community. IMO, the following folks clearly shine in all three areas: Derrek Sanks, Paul Curtin, Matt Limbert. They all used their smarts and the team to take their innate talent and turn it into success - not all good natural athletes can do that.

Three other people who might be on the bubble: Patti Rosen (anybody who's gone to Kona and other WC as many times as she has, and is an MD to boot, has to know something, if we could just get her to share it), Scott Dinhofer (He's a classic 'network' type of guy, but some might see him as grating or not sufficiently effective in his own performance), and Tim Sullivan (only with us for a couple of years, and he's yet to really demonstrate what he's capable of in IM).

I agree with Brian, he's such a star when it comes to helping others. But Rob, God love him, is still learning about our sports; I second Withrow's comments completely.

• Within reason must have knowledge, experience, willingness, and ability to help others. I remember a few years ago there was a little push back about making Matt Aaronson WSM cause he had not completed a full IMat the time, which IMO was silly since he was very smart and helpful! Effective, helpful, participation.

Definite Yes to Sheila Leard, Brian Hagan, Paul Curtin, and Matt Limbert.

Scott Dinhofer runner up, he really has been incredibly active and helpful, however I agree with Al’s assessment (except his performance which I view as irrelevant).

Patti Rosen incredible race creds but just can’t see it.

Rob Peters not yet.

Derrek Sanks, Tim Sullivan, definite maybe’s. Edwin Croucher? All three have potential, if it were Zwift only Tim is the mayor.

Suggestion- Peter Greagg ? I like what he writes.

• One of the things I like best about EN is that it isn't static. Within triathlon, each year, the plans change and the execution advice improves to encompass as much learning as possible so that the next year is a step forward for the team. EN is also evolving outside of triathlon to encompass generally epic stuff: longer races, insane runs, epic camps...

I've thought about how to answer this question all afternoon. The criteria that I've settled on is this: Who is going to broaden our knowledge/experience base and strengthen our ability to lead and support EN through the next evolutions? Of the folks mentioned above, two stand out in my mind in this regard (I don't know them all, so no slight intended):

+1 for Shiela Leard. She actively contributes, seems like a big supporter of EN in general, has knowledge that can help the team grow in new ultra/epic and she gave @Dave Tallo more research papers to read than I did! It is an added bonus that she is a lady and has experiences / knowledge / perspectives that can help us better support the other ladies on our team.

+1 for Brian Hagan. He has made a huge contribution to the Zwift revolution, he is incredibly supportive and generous with his time, and is a big believer / supporter of EN. Brian has experienced EN outside of Ironman, attending epic camps, making the leap to ultra events and help us recognize each other outside the forums, by the sound of our heavy breathing on Discord.

• Wicked Smart Advice from you all...thank you so much!!!

Here's what I have so far...I'll wait to see what else I hear over the weekend and make the call on monday!

IN (3+ Votes)

• Shelia Leard
    • Brian Hagan

Bubble Peeps (1 Vote)

• Matt Limbert
    • Paul Curtin

Honorable Mention

• Scott Dinhofer
    • Rob Peters
    • Derrek Sanks
    • Ed Croucher
    • Tim Sullivan
    • Peter Greagg
  • @Coach Patrick Tim and I both gave thumbs up to Paul amd Matt, so two votes (so far) for them?

• OK....going live now with this announcement In the Announcement Forum.

Paul only recently returned to the Team (took 4 months away) and is tentative this year..... And I think Matt needs to grow a bit more socially on the site (he's come a long way). I am okay waiting on them a bit longer...thank you all!!!

• Sorry I missed this been crazy busy I'd give a +1 to four the in and bubble individuals.

• I too missed this, but am happy with the results. Well deserved to both. I like them both very much, and have learned a ton from each, which is what I look for in a WSM. I've been quiet in the forums because I pout when I'm injured. And when I pout, my posts tend to come off like they're from a pouter. But, after 3+ months of PT, I've finally been released from jail and am sooo ready to get back to work.