Home General Training Discussions
Options

Troubleshooting Stryd Sync Issues

About the time that I got my Stryd, my Garmin 920XT stopped syncing over bluetooth. I'm posting the solution here in case anyone else runs into this issue.

BACKGROUND: I did some troubleshooting on my own and I contacted Stryd. Eventually Stryd suggested that I also contact Garmin. After a few discussions with Garmin, they gave me a list of folders to clean out on my watch. This included the Apps folder which of course removed the Stryd app from my watch. Since clearing out the folder and reinstalling the Stryd app, the syncing issues appear to be fixed.

Instruction from Garmin in italics below:

Ok sounds like maybe there's some corruption going on there. Let's try the following:

Based on your description, you will need to delete some older and/or unnecessary files from your Garmin mass storage device. Activities, courses and workouts are stored on the device and these files may eventually take up too much space or can become corrupted. You can delete these files from the device using your computer and the steps below.

NOTE: To avoid losing data, sync your device with Garmin Express before starting this process. Use CAUTION when deleting. Do NOT delete unknown files; deleting wrong files from your mass storage device can cause adverse performance affects.

Folders that can be safely cleared: (Note that your device may not have all of these folders)

• Activities
  • Apps
  • Courses
  • Debugging
  • Newfiles
  • Workouts
  • RemoteSW
  • Monitor – FR only
  • Screenshots
  • Segments
  • GUPdate.gcd
  • GUPDATW.rgn
  • .tmp .err .bak files

PC:                              

1. Connect the Garmin device to the computer
  2. Click Start menu*
  3. Click File Explorer, Computer or My Computer
  4. Double-click Garmin device drive **
  5. Click This PC (Windows 10 only)
  6. Double-Click on the Garmin drive
  7. Open the Garmin folder
  8. Select the folder you wish to delete
  9. Press the Delete key on the keyboard
  10. If prompted, click Yes to confirm the deletion
  11. Complete steps 7 through 10 for each folder listed above
  12. Click the Back button to return to the drive list
  13. Right-click on Garmin drive
  14. Click Eject
  15. Unplug device from computer

*For Windows 8, press the Windows key + X and choose File Explorer

** If the device does not show as a drive, please follow the instructions in our FAQ, My Edge is not recognized by my computer. 

Mac:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the computer
  2. Open Finder
  3. Click Go in the menu bar at the top of the screen
  4. Click Computer
  5. Double-click Garmin drive**
  6. Open the Garmin folder
  7. Select the folder you wish to delete
  8. Drag the selected folder to the trash
  9. Repeat steps 7 through 8 for each folder
  10. Click the Back button to return to the drive list
  11. Right-click the Trash on the Dock
  12. Click Empty Trash
  13. Click Empty Trash to confirm
  14. Right-click the Garmin drive
  15. Click Eject “Garmin”
  16. Unplug device from computer

Comments

• Options

My biggest issue with Stryd lately is that I have to manually go into current app and search for the Stryd footpod before each run - the watch is not picking it up automatically like it used to. Anyone else have this issue?

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 6:28PM

Main issue is when Stryd connects to 920XT via bluetooth vs ant+.

Given 920XT connects to phone via bluetooth, it gets confused when another device simultaneously wants to use the bluetooth connection.

How do I manage it?

I keep phone and Stryd separated, leaving phone in house and Stryd with shoes in garage. I FIND THE stryd powermeter pod on my 920XT via ant+ before I connect to GPS outside and after 920 xt is away and disconnected from phone.

After I finish the run, I save wko and leave Stryd and shoes in garage. Once wko is saved, I allow 920XT to connect to phone out of range from Stryd.

Everything works fine this way. Other option is allow 920XT to push to wifi for upload once wko is saved.

I looked all over forums in group sites and did not find this solution anywhere.

• Options

@Daniel Ballin - I have seen a pretty similar issue since the latest firmware update, and if I get to jumpy and start a run w/o getting it connected, I can't search for it and have it reconnect mid run. I tend to do like @Shaughn Simmons says and try to make sure its fully connected 1st keeping other things out of the picture then it tends to work fine (outside of a few recent cases where I think the app crashed mid to early in a run, which made my 1:30 run a 1 TSS run since it died like 2 mins in)