Home General Training Discussions
Options

PURE Hydration what do we know about it? Should I avoid it?

IM ASIA Pacific Championship is going to be using a hydration product by PURE made in New Zealand. They had it at IM NZ. @Patricia Rosen said she mostly avoided it and had her own fuel. I was wondering what others thought or what their experience has been for my immediate needs. Race June 9. And also for our teams future info.

Pure Hydration

5.4% Carbohydrate

Sucrose, Glucose, fruit powder, Asorbic acid, Na Citrate, K+ Citrate, Ca Citrate, and Mag Citrate ( the ingredient in the laxative but much smaller dose)

250ml

carb 12.6g

sugars 12.6g

real fruit powder 600mg

sodium 145mg

potassium 45mg

Magnesium 50mg

calcium 45mg

@Sheila Leard

Comments

• Options

Which formula? It looks like the Pure Electrolyte Hydration is more like Skratch than, say, Infinit. I may be totally misreading that they are calling a serving, though.

I looked at the event website and it seems like that's the formula. Do you have time to try it out?

• Options

that about 8 ounces which has almost as much calories as GE but much less sodium. I have some and it’s all natural but tastes a little chemically. I was just curious if any of the Australians have tried it.

• Options

@Robert Sabo The ingredients look good. No maltodextrin 👍️. Normally fructose is an issue but it appears to be a real fruit source. The only concern is the Mag Citrate. If you put two scoops in one bottle that equals 100 mg. Over 5-6 hours of drinking that could potentially cause loose stools. I've aways wondered how mag citrate affects bowels during exercise vs at rest. It may not be an issue.

Would you drink it on the bike?

I looked at the gels they are offering. Not so great.

• Options

I didn't avoid Pure but just used my EFS which is my go-to because it doesn't upset my stomach... and has a lot of electrolytes in it since I'm a sweat-er.... I would also be concerned about Mag Citrate...

I use magnesium and calcium in a product called sport-legs but it is in a different form , magnesium and calcium lactate... best anti cramp supplement I have ever used... muscles use lactate for fuel when stressed... it sounds counter intuitive but it works.

If it's a hot day, what the heck! use what they have on the course and take immodium before you start the race :)

• Options

I am trying it out now.  I think I'll try to use some GE of my own to decrease the use of the PURE.  The gels aren't a problem but I usually use my own anyway.  I will have to supplement with more salt if I use more PURE.