Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2019 70.3 Victoria BC, Kick Off Thread

edited February 14, 2019 3:04PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

Welcome to your official 2019 race thread! This will be home for you and your fellow teammates who are competing (and have competed) to train, learn and share with one another.

You’ll find lots of historical information here in this forum, and you can search above or use the main forum page. But it’s just as important to add your information from this year -- your workouts, volume weekends, race plans, highs and lows...it’s all here.

Race Captain - Sid Wavrin

Ideally your event has a race captain to lead by sharing their training and generally being a really awesome, supportive person online. If you have one, their name is ^above^ … If not, you can request to become the Race Captain via email here (just remember to tell us the race you want to lead). You’ll get a free month of EN membership and some other cool stuff as our way of saying thanks.

We have a basic schedule to support the Race Captain, you can view it here  and it’s not a ton of work. Even if you don’t have a race captain, you can all use that schedule to make sure You are connecting around the critical parts of your season.

Looking for Your Fellow Racers?

Sometimes the hardest part of getting the community around a race started is finding your fellow racers! You can do that via our Race Database (online here, password is WORKWORKS) where you can search by race name such as “Placid,” etc. Once you have a list of names, you can use the “@” sign to tag them here in this thread (so they are notified) or you can send them a private message via the Forums as well.

GroupMe Chat

If you are looking for your Race GroupMe, you can search our official GroupMe page online here. Can’t find the GroupMe because There isn’t one for your race? You can request we make one for you via email here.

Have Questions or Need Help?

No worries, we’re here to help! You can send us an email right here so we can help you out. Please be sure to reference your race forum and give as much detail as possible.

~ Brenda

Comments

• Options

Just signed up today...I'm in!!

• Options

Alright @Mark Hickman! That makes two of us thus far. Anyone else out there? I just moved into the 1/2 ironman plan so it's starting to feel like triathlon season. I wish the weather would change! Looong winter in Easter Wa.

• Options

I'm also signed up for Victoria!

@Sid Wavrin those of us in Western Washington are also getting sick of winter. We had another inch of snow at our house this morning! It's supposed to warm up into the 60's by this weekend! 😀

• Options

Well good,@Scott Imlay! It will be nice to race with a couple of PNW ENers. Hopefully we will pick a couple more as we get closer. I am also doing CDA 70.3 later in June. I did Victoria a few years ago (maybe three?) when the course was different. Fun race! I'm hoping the start point of this new course is a bit more user friendly. Check in here now and then and let us know how training is going! 60 degrees sounds good! Bring on spring.

• Options

Let me know you if want me to start up a group me for you guys.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2019 11:52PM

Hey Victoria people! (So far I think that is @Scott Imlay and @Mark Hickman.) Any one else out there going to be joining us? It's week 15. By the plan we should have camp week. I will be trying to follow the schedule pretty much as written. So a big weekend to test some fitness, test some equipment, and take a run at a nutrition plan. I know for me the winter hung around for a long time so I feel like I need time in aero bars as I move more to outside rides with better weather so that will be a big focus for the last few weeks. The plan looks a little different this year with a big bike Friday and Saturday followed brick runs and a long run on Sunday. I always struggle trying to get a swim in the race rehearsal days so I'm glad they that doesn't exist in the plan to haunt us! Luckily it's only week 15 so we can refine our plan with what we learn throughout the week. Let us know what you are doing and how the training is coming along. If anyone else is reading this that will be in Victoria, please chime in here. Good luck with the upcoming weeks.

• Options

Yes, camp week is here. My body is still a bit compromised by the back spasms I had a couple weeks ago, but I'm planning to follow the schedule as written. Hopefully the back will hold together.

See you all in Victoria!

• Options

So that was my worst camp weekend ever. I woke up Friday feeling a bit dizzy so I decided to ride on the trainer (don't want to I fall and hurt myself). I managed to make it through 2.5 hrs before the dizziness got to me. No run - straight to bed. Saturday I felt a little better and managed 3 hrs on the trainer before my back spasms started showing up. No run. Then 45 min into the 150 min Sunday run I twisted my ankle.

Total times: 5.5 hrs on the bike and 45 min running.

It can only get better - right?

• Options

Sounds like you managed a lot of training given your situation @Scott Imlay! Best listen to your body and take what you can get. Here's to feeling better! Let us know how things are progressing.

• Options

Yay!! Others are doing Victoria! I'm in as well and looking forward to it. It's a beautiful area. I've been fortunate enough to be able to ride outside in Sacramento, Calif area. Just finished the big camp week. I was curious to see how it went as I have back issues that I've been dealing with for 2 years. Happy to report the weekend went well and I felt pretty good on the Sunday run. I managed to get in 107 miles on the bike and a bit over 18 miles running. Even though I've been doing triathlons for many moons, I'm sticking with the Level 1 training plan to minimize any increase in back problems. PT and acupunture along with TRX to keep core strong is helping.

I arrive in Victoria on May 30th and hope some of us can hook up for a swim and ride!

• Options

Awesome @Jennifer Eckert Happy to here there will be another team member racing. I will see if I can get @Brenda Ross to set up a Group Me if you you are all interested and we can try to connect that way once the race gets closer. Please reply here if you all are up for that. Sounds like you have the right approach on managing the back trouble. I had a spine surgery in 2013 right after IMCDA. I have trained and raced a bunch since then, so there's hope. As you've mentioned a strong core is key! Good luck with rest of the preparation!

• Options

Sorry I've been MIA, but have been watching the rest of you getting it in! @Scott Imlay; I've been there numerous times...just trust the training you've done ~ it'll all shake out come race day (assuming we aren't sick...don't eat at the buffet!!). @Jennifer Eckert Awesome to have you joining us; I often struggle with back pain, but mine is mostly on the bike...it makes it pretty awful. @Sid Wavrin Thanks for keeping us all in touch! I'll be doing CDA as well it looks like, so will see you then too.

I didn't do the camp week last week as I was racing a Du on Sunday, but feeling generally pretty decent about my training so far this year, though it would be way better if I was about 10lbs lighter. Really, I'm just looking to get up there and perform the best I can with the fitness I bring...maybe even stretch out the legs here and there to give see what I've got:) I might get a race rehearsal in, but wouldn't be until about 2 weeks out...Army life has gotten increasingly busy for this month.

I'm in for a group me and wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow EN'rs while there. I roll in on Friday from the Ferry and roll back out on Monday.

• Options

Sounds good @Sid Wavrin ...I'm in for the Group Me. I did my Saturday Ride/Run today and incorporated the Thursday SST into at the front end. I'm traveling to Humboldt Redwoods Saturday to do a half marathon on Sunday...no rest for the wicked. Swimming tomorrow and taking Saturday off to try and absorb some of the weeks work!!

• Options

@Sid Wavrin @Scott Imlay @Jennifer Eckert @Mark Hickman your group me has been created. I have added you, but just in case here is the link: https://groupme.com/join_group/50285335/x4bZrm5z

• Options

Week 18! I hope you all arrived here ready to take this last chance to dial in the final prep for the race in a couple weeks. For me the training has gone well. I'm excited to get my race season started and let the training speak for itself! This week is a good chance to test nutrition one more time and make sure all the equipment is set up the way you want, then it's time to dial it back and get ready to travel to Victoria. Looking forward to racing with you all. I think everyone is aware we have a group me created. Use that as we get closer if you want company on a practice swim, or a breakfast or help with anything you may have forgotten or need. I will for sure try to help the best way I can if anything comes up. Enjoy your taper. We will see you soon!

• Options

I got the race rehearsal in last weekend, and was very pleased with the effort...if anything, too light on the bike and too fast on the run. I'm planning to do another one this Sunday to close out the true build for this race. Doing a sprint on Saturday to kick off the tri season and will go all out there!! Nevertheless, it is what it is now ~ just a matter of gaining confidence in the work we have done, and like @Sid Wavrin mentioned, working on the little but critical things like nutrition. I know I could have done better ont hat last weekend, so it is something I will really focus on this week! Looking forward to the opportunity to meet each of you. Good luck this week. Mark

• Options

I've actually switched over to the IM Full training plan for IM Canada. The good news is that my back is much better. I was able to do a 4hr ride on Saturday followed up by a 3hr ride on Sunday. The running is coming back - I'm building volume slowly.

• Options

We woke up to rain in sunny California today..its supposed to last through next Tuesday. Needless to say I will have to shuffle some of the rides around for this final push weekend. I was able to get in my first open water swim yesterday. First one since Hawaii in 2016!! It went well.

Glad to hear training is going well for everyone!